2nd Grow... Rubbermaid Hydro Farm

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Retroshark, Jul 23, 2007.

1. i just checked on the babies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its working!!

2. new lighiting system is set up, just have to get another fan and im done and the lid can be closed. right now, i have it suspended above the plants so i can get some cross breeze on them, i have no idea how hot all those lights are gonna get in there. ill let everyone know what happens over the next few days, but the new seedings are now twice as big as in the photo i took this morning. ill definately have more updates soon. i am very happy the seedlings seem to have adapted well to their new home. you can already see a few roots at the bottom of the cups!

3. looking good keep us updated

4. so im having trouble with 3 pots. i cant seem to keep anything alive in those 3 spots, so im just chillin waiting to see how the others do, and they seem to be doing well, regardless of no rooting medium. i already can see i have one very indica and one very sativa dominant. both seem to be the most extreme dominant strains ive grown (really fat leaves and really thin ones) so im excited about that for sure. i dont have any more money for supplies right now, but is there anything i can use that will do the job f rockwool? it seems as if the 3 pots that keep dying are just not getting enough root production and they dry out. im not sure what im gonna do because ive now tried each pot twice and the other 5 are going very well, so i may just leave them open, and populate them with clones at a later stage.

5. Are you pouring water over the seedlings to establish root growth? or are you just running the hydro system as is?

6. nope, they already had enough root mass to dip into the water. they are all now sitting with several roots about 3 inches into the tanks. on their 4th nodes. what do i want my Ph at BTW, my seedlings are a little yellowed on new groth, and im worried they may be locked out.

7. What's up Shark, glad to see you got things rollin! :D You should have used a rooting medium to avoid the roots drying out when they are small, like what happened. I had my roots dry out on a couple of my plants when they didn't get watered and it kills the root system quick. The growth rate of the plant is directly related to the size of the root system, so when part or most of the root system dies from underwatering it has to re-build for the plant to start growing fast again. From what I saw it's very important to keep them watered in the beginning so they grow as fast as they can.

Anyways it looks great and I'm glad you got it going. I'm concerned about when you have to pull males because of the sheer amount of roots that will be in there but I'm sure you'll manage no matter what. You might have to cut them out of the system with scissors though, don't worry about cutting the roots either it's totally fine as long as you don't over-do it. I'm surprised that so many of your plants lived without a rooting medium- very strong plants you have there, a good test of their will to live for sure.

Looking good though, keep it up!

8. heres some updates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. more updates.... the yellowing seems to have stopped, idk what it was. the plants are growing really fast now, they are starting to get their 3 blade leaves, and all have a new set ready to pop. my seeds that are gonna go in the empty spots are nearly done germinating, probably another day or two and ill be good to put them in. here are some photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mini blunt i just smoked...

[​IMG]

10. oh i sure do miss those blunts you rolled... mail one back for me and tacos.

and way to go on starting the hydrosystem. keep us updated

11. lol, i miss the gazeebo and the many double roor sessions in my garden. hopefully this thanksgiving when i come back, the house will still be there, empty very likely, and we can have massive hot box sessions in my room.

i can dream right?

ill definately be updating more. once the plants reach their 5th leaf set, ill be flowering them. this is only a short grow, and i plan to populate any male vacancies that open up, with clones from the current plants. idk if i mentioned that already lol.

12. ... cause i know sanders wants to see more photos, here they are as of right now. the roots are really getting big, and they arae starting to really take off now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. haha thanks they look like there going really good!

what did you decide to do about the ventilation?

and i def, agree we should smoke like 1/8+ each in your room

14. im down. smoke 3/8ths of some funk between the 3 and your room would be boxed as hell... ill post some pics philipec and i fixed my roor with some broken pieces of his its pretty ghetto but works well

15. thats so tight! i cant beleive you guys managed to ghetto rig it to work, thats awesome.

i just checked on the plants, and they are big. im considering putting them into flower now, but i want to take 3 clones, but what the hey, ill just go for it anyway and get this shit underway. ill probably wait til the weekend and then its flower time. i want these to stay small and manageable.

16. i installed 2 120mm fans today, and closed the box. the temperature dropped by 15 degrees!!!!! its staying at about 95 right now, and the plants look much less stressed. now im in business. all i gotta make is my carbon filter, and then buy a reptile light for flowering.

ill have pictures later.

17. yea so i went to go adjust my timer for the lights, and um... well it seems i had already set it to 12/12 at some point... probably about 4 or 5 days ago! so, in the next few days id imagine that the plants will start showing some signs of sex. no wonder there was that one day when all the plants sort of looked yellowed on the new growth. my previous plants did the same thing the first time they got 12/12 lighting.

18. So you started before you even thought you did? LOL so stoner :D

95 is still pretty hot, you may want to tone it down even more if you can.

They look healthy though, are they growing really fast now?

19. really fast. all of them but one have long long roots, but the one without the long root mass is growing fastest!

20. I noticed that with mine too. The runt had a few really long roots. But the two that grew the fastest (and later ended up getting topped) had a large quantity of short roots. I wonder if that actually made a difference in growth rate?