2nd Grow, New Box, Mazari, Power Africa, Super Lemon Haze, Red Dragon

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by docmojoman, May 10, 2009.

1. I wonder, has anyone that participated in this thread, ever tried the water curing method for curing buds? I just stumbled on it last night somewhere here on GC, and read a lot of solidly positive reviews of it. I'm thinking about curing 1/4 to 1/2 of my coming harvest using it.

2. #882 not donbosco, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
    While there's an increase in THC & cannabinoids potency (corresponding to a loss in weight of non-actives extracted in the water), it obliterates bag appeal; smell, taste and the buds' good looks if it had them get thrown out with the water. Many if not all tokers will say they care about pre-smoke weed appeal and smoking flavor; apparently this can sour them on the water cure. But an effective enjoyable high is >90% of it for me. They say the buds turn a dull gray or brown, with practically no odor, & the smoke amazingly tasteless. But the smoke from a water cured bud is said to be extra smooth on the lungs.. and I hate, and fear those expanding lung bombs. And..water curing takes 3-7 days (depending on the chosen set of instructions) compared to two months or more for traditional curing.

3. how can the chlorophyl break down in a 3-7 day water cure when it takes longer norally? very interesting. iv never been brave enuff to try a water cure... its bad juju hahahah

4. #884 not donbosco, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
    To my understanding water curing doesn't necessarily break down chorophyl, but leaches it out of the buds, along with other nonactive substances & compounds. The THC & cannabinoids stay in the buds because the active constituents of weed aren't water-soluble.

5. wonder how the water looks n smells after the buds are removed.....bet its a strange concoction

6. #886 not donbosco, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    I read where it was a pretty nasty stuff. I haven't used the method yet, still waitin' to harvest my super lemon haze. Ill try it on only a few buds at first since SLH is prized for its strong lemon smell & taste. two long threads on water cure if ur intrigued enough:

Curing Your Buds
    Water Curing - Cannabis Culture Forums

PS: water cure bypasses the slow conversion that occurs during dry cure, of non-psychoactive THCV (or something like that, not sure about the letters) to psychoactive THC. However I've also read about tests showing that the actual amount of THC percursors converted to THC during traditional curing is quite small compared to total THC in the bud.

7. Any minute and I'm thinking docmojoman is gonna show up. Then he'll tell us about that very compact, incredible efficient op he built!

8. Hey Doc, it's been a long time. I thought you were gone for good. Nice to see you back at the city! :smoke:

Nice grow you have going...:D

9. Hell yeah, I didn't know you were back, good to see you. :wave:

10. I didn't know either, as far as I see he isn't back, we just wish he was! This was I believe the most enjoyable grow thread I ever read and it was because of doc being just so personable as well as inventive!

11. After a day or so, I'll know the results of my Water Cure of some buds of Super Lemon Haze. Needs to dry out now after the 7 days of water soaking. I'll return to report on how it looks/smells/smokes..

12. #892 not donbosco, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
    Well I have finished the water cure of some SLH, dried it well enough, and sampled some..

The buds look darker than usual with a more raggedy texture, and with less plumpness or mass. The usual strong odor of regularly cured SLH bud is quite faint in the water-cured SLH. None of this bothers me that much, but one thing does: the smoke after this SLH water cure didn't strike me as being especially stand-out smooth, something widely touted in the various threads out there on water curing. In fact I could hardly tell any difference at all between trad. and water cure in toking smoothness. I doubt I'll do this again, since that was my main goal.

I also noticed very little green or other waste crap or odor coming out of the soaking buds in their mason jar, as I've seen in pics; Maybe that had something to do with using zero fertilizer for a whole month before harvest, and picking just before the start of a light period.

Not wanting to hijack thread topic just putting some talk here to attract docmojoman back to this thread.. doc, ya out there?