2nd grow - mars 300w - oxypot XL DWC SCROG- 1x1x2 kit from grow genius UK

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Amhai, Mar 11, 2018.

1. And so it begins!...

I did a search on google and found growgenius and Keith who responded to my emails even late at night and was able to put together a paypal invoice for ALL the kit I would need to grow 2 plants with oxypot and LEDs. I was advised that I would probably need a 300w LED if I was going to grow two plants.

I set the tent up (below) and went off and only bloody grew some weed! it took over 100 days from germination to cultivation.

So now I am going to journal my 2nd grow, I'm only doing 1 plant this time because I think I will scrog it and based on the previous plant, it should be quite a wide monster.

I bought 10 seeds of Purple Bud autos at sensiseeds. 1 germinated but I drowned the poor girl and 1 didn't germinate. 1 did and 1 was a little disabled. I learned a lot about Ec and Ph and stuff but it harvest almost 65g which isn't too bad for a first grow according to posts here.

I have the tent in my bedroom only slightly different with the filter now than in the picture and the pulleys for the light. I'll post more as the time goes on, I kept a record of Ph, Ec and PPM all the way through in a notebook last time but this time, I'll use an ipad to take photos and record things in a spreadsheet in Evernote and post here regularly.

Here's my tent, it was dead easy to set up.

01 setup complete.jpg

The list of items I got was everything that I needed. I did buy a Ph meter off ebay too. Not sure why it wasn't included, I emailed Keith and he said it wasn't vital but I wanted to go all in and get everything.

The full kit is

• Growing tent with reflective interior 100x100x200cm)
    • LED light (Power: 300w)
    • Premium Carbon Filter for removing odours
    • Odor Eliminator Spray by California Scents
    • Axial-Flo Fan for maintaining a steady atmosphere
    • Second Clip On Fan by Mini-Whisper
    • Rope ratchet and light hanging kit for fully adjustable lighting placement options
    • 2x Ducting Clips and ducting to connect the fan with carbon filter
    • Oxypot 2 plant systeml)
    • Hydrometer for measuring temperature & humidity
    • Ec Meter
    • Clay Pebbles
    • DWC Nutrients
    • Grodan/Rockwool cubes

Price for Led kit including 1x1x2 tent, Oxypot 2 plant system and 300w led upgrades £396

Accessories as agreed (EC Meter, Clay Pebbles, Grodan cubes, DWC nutrients) £45

(considering that I got over 2oz from 1 seed, the value of this kit paid for itself in the first grow)

2. #2 Amhai, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Day 0 .
    germination

I used some wet paper towels in some trays and put a seed in.

IMG_1071.jpg

7 days went by, checking and redamping to see if it sprouts.

it didn't. I think the paper towels are too thick..

2 wet tissues in saucers method

I saw in many places about tissues and mistakenly thought that paper towels would be better (they're more expensive!) but it turns out, two wet tissues in saucers was the way to go. 3 days and a root shows.

2018-03-10 19.32.14.jpg

Ooh so excited after going a week without seeing anything in the paper towels. I'm going to transfer to rockwool in the morning (this photo was at 8pm)

smoke on! T-Minus 100 days and counting...

3. Day 1
    RockWool

Got up and was excited to transfer the little seed to RockWool, Keith had sent me 4 big cubes in the kit but I grew the last one using the smaller cube that was in the circle of the big cube.

I'd soaked some rockwool in some Ph 5.7 water overnight.

IMG_1072.JPG

It kind of fell apart when I opened it so I used another cube cut down a bit and put the now bigger rooted seed in there

2018-03-11 10.44.31.jpg 2018-03-11 10.45.09.jpg

I used a tie to make sure the two halves stayed together and put it in the propagator I got when I was growing my own veg from seeds.

2018-03-11 10.47.45.jpg

That keeps things just a teensy bit warm and should be a nice home for little Monica. (mary's sister)

T-Minus 99 days

smoke on!

4. actually, do you think I should reply to add updates or just edit the first post so it's always at the beginning?

5. yeah good ol kieth. ripped me off rotten with my first set up. my full extraction kit is only worth £70. charged me an extra hundred quid to “upgrade” from a 600w hps to a 270w mars led thats only worth a hundred quid and what arrived was a knock off. he argued it was a mars so i contacted them who told me it clearly wasnt. then kieth tried to convince me it came from the same factory as the mars after squirming about with bullshit excuse after excuse. charged me about a hundred quid extra to upgrade from half a dozen pots to a 20L nft. bought a second nft res from elsewhere, exact same one for £35! charged me a an extra hundred odd quid to “upgrade” to shitty atami nutes that are utterly useless.
    all in he charged me about £1200 for £600 worth of gear. sorry to rant but he is an absolute rip off merchant.
    oh and fiver says that 300w led he sold you has a wee stucker in the back of it that says 140w or there about. fuck i need to go take a deep breath lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. that wasn't my experience with him. I paid less than £500 and got over 600 quid of weed in the first grow. that's if I was to buy premium purple bud off a dealer.

So sorry to hear you had a bad experience, it has been nothing but good for me. He even replaced an air pump and stone after it broke so I'm happy with my dealings.

I'm looking forward to the following weeks to see if what I've learned can make a huge harvest from one seed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Amhai, Mar 11, 2018
    Day 01 part 2
    Lights!

I put a small energy bulb up in the tent because I read somewhere that the seedlings first days are too much if theres an LED light on.

I think that's what made my other seed disabled, too many Rads!

This light should be ok and it'll help with the photos too.

You can see some of the last plant hanging to dry in the photo, I've already used about 4.5g of it because it smelled so nice and I was hungry!

IMG_1073.JPG

8. yeah i couldnt get the hang of bringing seedlings on under the leds iether. wasted a full 10 pack of stone dragons trying to get it right then just gave up and got a big cfl for them lol. you should be able to get 4-5 oz from that light if all goes well. ill tag along n see how it you get on. im pretty handy with a hydro res now if you need any pointers :)

9. thanks! I was considering keeping a journal for the first grow but decided to 'do me learnins furst! oo-ar' :)

proper farmer me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. its good to keep a journal gowing. allows to to compare stuff and look back to see what you can improve on. makes problem solving a lot easier. my first grow was horrific. wouldntve survived it without the extra eyes on my journal like. doubled the yield on my second run. was hoping to double it again this time but growing at my mates now and hes fucked it lol

11. #11 Amhai, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Day 02
    In the system

My previous hanging garden has now been fully harvested, the first grow from 1 seed of autoflower purple bud produced 69.5g dry and it is lovely in a vaporiser, such a nice taste. it even tastes purple :) Very pleased with the results of my first grow

woohoo, the root is showing out of the bottom of the rockwell cube. That was quick! I only put the germinated seed in there yesterday and put it in the propagator for the night.

2018-03-12 09.18.49.jpg

I read someones advice here to another grower that they should put the grow in the system as soon as the root shows out the bottom of the cube so that's what I did.

I ran some water over the cube in the tray to keep it wetted. It's the same 5.7Ph water as I used for the germinating tissues and cube.

I put some clay pebbles (washed) in the net pot and put the cube so the top of it is level with the tray top and used more clay pebbles around it to fill the pot.

2018-03-12 09.23.56.jpg

I switched on the air pump so that the two attached air stones will send out bubbles to the reservoir ready for when the root works it's way down through the pebbles. I thought it would be hard for the root to get around the pebbles but the last grow showed it is more than capable!

roots.jpg

T-Minus 98 days and counting.

vape on!

---
    I stopped making joints with the previous stuff because smoking stinks the house out! Also, I'm prone to dropping things and the fire risk was too much.

I now use an Arizer Extreme Q bag system to set me for the day and a Solo vaporiser for 'joints' throughout the evening. I use the same amount as a king size paper joint in the Extreme Q and the same amount as a single skin joint for the Solo with a dome gauze in the tube.

2018-03-12 11.00.32.jpg 2018-03-12 11.00.03.jpg

Vaping is much nicer on the general smell of the house and tastes so much better, you get just weed and no other burning shite to deal with.

12. #12 Amhai, Mar 13, 2018
    Day 03
    Sweet Seedling

I put a glass pyrex jar over the cube last night to act as a sort of mini green house. I saw someone do something similar before so I thought I'd do it too

and this morning, there appears to be a teensy little seedling poking its head out of the cube!

2018-03-13 08.40.35.jpg 2018-03-13 08.55.58.jpg

This grow is moving along nice and the weed I harvested off the first grow is curing nicely!

2018-03-13 11.09.58.jpg

T-Minus 97 days and counting.

Vape on :)

13. #13 Amhai, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Day 03 part 2
    growth!

I peeked at it this evening and it's already up and out.

2018-03-13 19.33.11.jpg

it looks like it was bending towards the corner of the tent where the light is so I moved the light to the centre.

2018-03-13 19.32.55.jpg

I will wait until the second set of leaves comes out before I use the LED's, I've seen that somewhere before.

Checking bottom of the net cup tomorrow to see if the root has started to come out in search of the reservoir

I've got the reservoir at an Ec of 1350 which seemed to be stable value during the last grow, if it gets over 1500 then that tells me that the plant is leaving some nutes behind and I should add more water.

less than 1100 and it's drawing more so I should add more nutes.

I'm using the A and B nutes that were sent with the kit and some calcium nitrates that I added before when I saw some yellow spots on the leaves.

T-Minus 96.5 days and counting.

Vape on :)

14. #14 Amhai, Mar 14, 2018
    Day 04
    Taller

The sweet seedling has grown taller in the night since I peeked at it.

2018-03-14 08.28.57.jpg

It seems to be straighter too now that I've moved the light from the corner to the center

Still no root poking out the bottom but the cube is still damp enough for it to get some hydration from that.

Still no LED light on yet either, it's too delicate for that amount of light radiation. I have a feeling that the root will start to show out the net pot soon and the second set of leaves will come too.

vape on!

T-Minus 96 days

15. ec of 1350? do you mean 1.35 or is your meter on ppm setting?

16. it depends what the meter is set to display

like 1350 ml is the same as 1.35 L

Ec measures in milliSeimens. 1350 milliSeimens can be written as 1.35, it depends how accurate you want to be.

I want to be accurate :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 Amhai, Mar 14, 2018
    day 04 part 2
    SCROG

I bought a scrog net from Amazon. It was cheaper than a roll of mesh that would have been used as a home made scrog.

It just seemed easier to order a pre-made one with elastic and hooks

plus, the seedling has something to aim for :)

2018-03-14 18.45.54.jpg

T-Minus 95.5 days

18. ahh right got you sussed i use ppm but its basically half the ms number. why are there so many bloody ways to measure the feed lol.

19. lol. I measure PPM too, I like to have all the data available. Plus, it makes a nice multipoint graph when I plot it :)

20. day 05
    All good

The seedling looked the same again today to my eye. I added some ph5.7 water to the cube.

2018-03-15 08.28.35.jpg

No root showing out the net pot yet but last time it took a few days before I saw one.

T-Minus 95 days

• Like Like x 1