2nd Grow: Doing it right this time

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by rockout74, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Oh boy here it is. My second attempt at growing. :smoke: Yeah I'm nervous again but this time I"m using less plants and better operation conditions. Growing one lemon skunk and 1 paradise acid and a closet and 1 lemon skunk and 1 royal dwarf in a micro cabinet for a total of 4 plants, all with feminized seeds. I'm gonna be using cfls the whole time, and now I finally got my operating temperatures in control and under 25 C.

Soil grow in FFOF, which I might mix with some perlite. The first lemon skunk and auto are currently awaiting germination in their dark humid containers. I'm looking to do whatever I need to help them along to growing into healthy, dank females.:D Any help along the way would be great. I'll be posting some pictures of the cabinet soon.

2. FFOF will be WAY too hot for seeds, go buy some seedling mix or perilite/EWC mix for seedlings.

3. Will do. I already planted the first lemon skunk in it. We'll see how it does. Hoping to pick up some perlite to mix into the soil for the next seed soon.

4. subbed :)

lol...such mixed responses on ffof fer seeds huh? don't stress :) I'm rooting for ya.

5. #5 rockout74, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
    Hello. Just picked up a 3 dollar hygrometer from wally world. I actually bought two to see if they read similarly because they were so cheap. I also bought a 10 inch air stone and 10-30 gallon air pump to make a bubble cloner. Hopefully these were the right parts. Added three bulbs this morning too. As of right now, I have two GHS Lemon Skunk in a micro cab with 7 bulbs, ranging from 23-27 watts. Most of them are 2700k spectrum. HOpefully this won't be an issue for seedlings and vegging. Won't start nutes until another week or two. Things are going well so far.

6. #6 rockout74, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
    So I bought both the hygrometers for a purpose. In a cab only two feet wide, one of them was read 60%, the other 25, go figure... I've added a water-filled sponge and a a cup of water inside. I want that bit of extra humidity during these early stages, but I won't complain if I can't get it.

Anyway I've been trying to manage temps. My basement gets to be about 60F at the coldest. Interestingly enough depending on how much I cover up the passive intake or exhaust, my temps inside the box are either 65 or 80 with little in between! I'm still trying to find that happy medium. Things are still going well, and I'll water em tonight.

7. Ok so my temps have been low. like 62-65. def. seeing slow growth. and I'm at like 3 weeks now with little Anna Molly. I covered up some of the intake with a book and it went up to about 68. I've also been putting heat in the room the box is in via a spaceheater. it helps a bit eh. Maybe some more bulbs will also help.

Gave her her first feeding last night. I mixed the 5ml growbig water with reg. water in about 10 ounces. Sounds pretty lite. Not sure if I should continue to give this nute water every time I water, or every other or what not so I will moniter. I have a sponge and cup of water to raise humidity, right now its in the "comfort zone" which is about 35-50 percent. Things are still going well.

8. Pics? I think more 5500k-6500k bulbs will be much more useful for the plants grow cycle right now. I'm sure some 2700ks will work but the plants may be short growing? Anyways I'm going to watch this one :)

9. They prob. would be. Unfortunately the closet grow was discovered and the bulbs are currently confiscated:mad: I'm still working on getting them back but by that time I'll probably have switched to 12/12. What's interesting to me is that a HPS light, with a spectrum close to 2700k, will veg plants beautifully! I'm not sure why lol

10. Rotated her 90 degrees clockwise. Temps till around 68. Some new growth.

11. Watered with growbig water and reg. water mix. Temp at opening is 66, but hell its fricken snowing today! I plan on LsTing her, should I wait until after I transplant?

12. transplant then LST, i'd transplant soon though.

13. with your temp problems maybe you should try switching to the lower K bulbs..it will raise temps slightly....the 'warm' bulbs put out a little more heat. Also new bulbs will run a little hotter the first week or so.

Is it on a basement floor or something? If so, raise it up a little...or try to insulate it a little better. Recycling part of your exhaust back into your intake will help a little too, but will sacrifice a little fresh air exchange.

14. #14 rockout74, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
    I actually have only 3 out of 8 bulbs at 65k. The rest are 27k. I restricted the intake with a book and now it's at like 66ish. And yeah, it's on a basement floor, I might try insulating the basement door to keep the cold air out and warm air in. I can't really move it much due to stealth issues. Would propping it up a few inches or so make any difference? I plan on transplanting in a few days or so anyway then starting LST.

15. yeh I think just raising it up will help raise temps a little. The cold concrete floor is leaching alot of your heat...I'd put it on a layer or 2 of cardboard or ontop of a piece of wood or something.

16. Watered her with light nutes last night. Temps still low, but will try to raise it up a bit or put it on something as directed by captain sauce. Some new growth! yay lol I might germ another soon and grow it for three weeks, then switch to flower, as little Anna Molly is alone after the brutal murder of her siblings last week lol.

17. Ok so I restricted my airflow even more and now I have temps at about 70. yay. haha. Fed her two nights ago, prob. will again tonight and I'm hoping to transplant by this weekend. Looking for some feedback: I have a one gallon pot and a two and a half gallon pot that I could transplant in. My cabinet is only 2 1/2 feet high, and I def. plan on LSTing as much as possible and maybe topping. Would it make sense to go into the bigger pot? Could this help the roots go deeper and possibly get a larger yield even though the space is so small?

18. I'd use the bigger one :) with cfls you only really need about 16" between soil and bulb at most...I feel growing a plant taller then that is a kinda a awatse since the lights only penetrate so far...

19. Fed her last night. She's looking so good! Also put the cab up on some thin pieces of wood to get it off the cold floor. Now temps are at an ideal 73 F! Will transplant when I'm not scared to lol hopefully by Sunday.

20. Fed her again last night. Stem is getting thicker. temps are about 75-80 yay. didn't transplant yet. I have her in a chinese soup container. I plan on going rite into the 2 1/2 gallon soon.