2nd grow, all MG bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Grimm420, Feb 13, 2013.

1. #1 Grimm420, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
    so my first complete grow turned out ok, a little over 2oz dry, but it was barely regular strength for the area.

I was hoping to be able to get better lighting and soil/nutes, but it doesnt look like that will happen anytime soon though I hopefully will be able to get like a 400w in the next couple weeks.

area: 3ft x 2.5ft x 8ft

strain: bagseed

soil: MG 6 month slow release soil(I'm well aware of how bad it is, but I've seen a few experienced growers using it and getting good results so I'm going with it.)

nutes: MG all purpose plant food

lighting: I'm going to start them off under a 42w cfl and my kessil h150. later putting as many of my other cfls in as I can(should be around 200w of mixed spectrum, I have 80w T12 but I think it was heating shit up too much so I'm leaving it out this time), until I can get a better light.

probly wont be ph'ing my water either, seemed like when I started it last time things kind of went to shit quickly.

seeds are germination right now, only saw 2 of them starting to push taproots out, once they're long enough I will be putting them in Jiffy starter pellets and into the little dome thing until they're bigger/stronger. might try LST for the first time since I've got a small space.

hope to keep this going, maybe get some help when I need it, so I'll try to keep updating this as often as I remember to.

2. Subbin in... love the bagseed, hate the MG.. used it myself tho, did the job.. Fox Farm now...

3. yea I was hoping to actually use a local mix because its better, cheaper, and obviously supports local business, but shit happens.

I think I actually read through a bit of one of your threads which is part of the inspiration to just do it this way.

as an update, there was still only 2 seeds that had pushed out a taproot so I put them in pellets.

4. The MG did alright, but i was wondering if the time release is what made em flower so long.. they went 14 weeks flower before harvest.. i think otherwise it went alright, kinda packy and wet, but a little pearlite remedies that..

5. shit I dont even have any perlite, how much would you recommend using in a 5gal bucket?

6. You can make it without, but i would mix 1/3 pearlite 2/3 soil...

7. well I figured I'd go ahead and buy it along with some yeast when I get my tax money. since I'm growing in a closet with no way to really vent other than leaving the door open, gotta get some co2 running. last time my temps would usually hover around 28-30*c, but maybe taking out the t12 will help with that, though I've only got a 42w cfl and a kessil h150 on them atm and its at like 26.6* I think.

8. I use molasses and miracle grow and the smell is sometimes in my room when I get home

9. #9 Grimm420, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
    so I had used the paper towel method to germinate, had 10+ seeds but didnt really expect anything because they didnt look the best. anyway I put it back in the bag and put it like by my tv so it could get some heat, checked it last night and saw I had another seed germinated so I popped it in a jiffy pellet and stuck it in the little dome.

the 1 still has the shell stuck on it so if it hasnt popped off by tomorrow I will try to break it off if I can w/o killing it.

just checked on them and the 3rd is starting to sprout, so I'll have atleast 2 if the shell head dies.

10. is it a dirt or hydro grow

11. #11 Grimm420, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
    its miracle gro, so soil. though they will be going into coco when they get too big for the dome.

I'm saving up to get a 400w hid off ebay(looks like pic below), but since I have heat issues as well as electricity, I was thinking about getting an LED instead. although the ones that are most affordable to me are this one(a bit iffy about since it has no fans among other things) or this one even though this one is only 150w(I know wattage is different with LEDs compared to flouros or hid). any advice from experienced LED growers would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

actually a thought just popped into my head. if any experienced growers can answer it, since mg can be a bit strong would it be better, instead of putting them in straight mg or coco, to put them into like a 50/50 mix of mg and coco in cups until I transfer to the final pots?

12. so its both miracle and cocoa. cocoa is a soiless mix ingredents I was going to try that type grow next. but mixing it with miracle would make it a lower quality organic mix would be better but $11 a bag is high for still living with my mom

13. #13 Grimm420, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
    depending on where you live you can get better stuff for cheaper than that. look into local mixes, usually some good stuff on the cheap. like I was looking into some local stuff thats like $13 for 10 gal of soil, think thats pretty good, dont remember how many gallons 1.5 cu.ft fills.

14. if you doing it in a closet led would be better but more costly and are for grow room in growboxes produce to much heat

15. yea I know, its the initial cost thats gonna get me.

16. but molasses during veg half a tbsp
    during flower 2 tbsp that wats working for me

17. in soil mix

18. a little update, hopefully next week I get a new phone so I can actually take semi decent pics/vids.

last night I took the 2nd sprout, with the shell stuck on, out and pulled it off, then had to take that brown thing that closes the milk leaves together, thought I had killed it, but I looked closesly at it and its growing a super tiny set of true leaves.

the 3rd seedling had ended up sprouting under the meshy stuff holding the dirt together so I had to pull it from under it. the leaves havent fully opened up quite yet unfortunately.

the first seedling is looking ok, one of the milk leaves is kinda weird, off color and stiff, but otherwise looks normal.

19. I use the jiffys too, and i tear the net off the very top after its all swelled up.. i dont use the mix thats in them anymore.. i swell em up, dig em out, and fill the nets back up with ffof and just top it withh the shit out of the pellets just cause the ffof doesnt pack quit enuff for pellets...

20. well the 3rd sprout died today, it just wouldnt open. the shell head is growing its first set of leaves but part of them looks yellowish, not sure if its getting bleached by the led or something else.

the other one's gimpy milk leaf is turning yellow already, but the other one is fine.