2nd closet grow attempt

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Indobud1212, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Yes, mine is the same. I think they call them "actual watts". My 250 is like 54 actual watts or something like that. The 100s are 36ish? Maybe. Can't remember.

2. Hey Impact,

Glad we on the same page with the lights lol. Yeah my huge one that's over head uses 65watts but put out 300 then on one side I got the 42watt that puts out 150 I think and a 26watt which is 100 or maybe even 75 puny watts lol. I'm going to have to figure out some sort of set of for more side lights cus canopy is getting thick.

3. Hello GC,

Another lovely day to wake up and stare into my ladys eyes lol.... Shes def a girl and has started to show me her
    stuff lol. Shes hairy and has what i believe are flowering sites. I see milky strains of hairs and flowering. Def
    will post pics. I have made a change to the lighting arrangement per a suggestion (Impact). It def. seems like there getting
    much more light. I removed the shields and hung them. Im in process of getting the Y adapter so i can add a extra
    light to each side. I also plan on going to purchase another 2 twin light fixtures and adding Y adapters to each
    side also. Thanks for the help IMPACT!!!.

The only thing i am noticing is that some fan leafs are developing some yellow spots. It could be due to the
    lights being to close so im monitoring it. My only other tought would be over watering. My lady is ruffly 2ft 1/2,
    and is in a 3 gallon pot. It drys up the soil very easily in one day. I water it every morning about 3 cups of water
    or so using measuring cup. I dont check ph or anything since im new but i think im going to after seeing GC threads
    and watching Drug Inc. on TV lol...... so much lovely buds when you take every necessary step to insure perfection.
    Other then that and the fan leafs feeling a little dry and appear droppy. Pics up also to help ya diagnose or guess.

Im going to def try to get T.Bloom and B.Bloom fert. Im sure it def makes a huge difference in outcome. I feel like this damn
    Miracle grow soil aint giving it what it needs now. Shame im hurting on cash. Ive been tring to do as many DIY's I
    can. I really would love to eventually try the DIY HPS light. Till then will see how this goes. Is it safe to take
    some cuttings from this Lady during this 12/12/ period cus this is the best bean i have at the moment but dont
    want to screw her up at all. Thanks guys.!!!

Attached Files:

4. #24 pigpen03, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    over watering!

let her sit a day with out water man.

i can already see your over watering haha

also is there any reflective material in there?

it looks like you burned a leaf or two.

but those cfls arent doing much without the light being directed at it,

i know he said ditch the reflectors but you need them on the side.

but get some reflective material all over the place and youll see her get wayyy bushier.

cuttings are fine when she shows sex.

just not to far into flowering

5. Hey Pigpen03,

Thanks for the help. I tought i over watered so i didnt water it today. I will do 3 cups every other day. Regarding the burn mark its most likely due to the lights being close i think or maybe the watering part. About the lighting part did i place them wrong? Are they suppose to be placed sideways? Horizontal? Thanks.

6. you just want side lighting to be directed at the plant.

not just hanging there.

those reflectors you had earlier were perfect for side lighting.

but t5s are the best for side lighting and are still cheap.

but get some reflective mylar or some panda film in there.

is it all white in there?

cant really tell.

if so that should be okay.

7. No offense Pigpen but I disagree. For that size plant I think you are underwatering. 3 cups isn't much, even daily. I was watering a full pitcher every other day with little run off in the same size pots. Feel the leaves, do they feel "thin" and dry? I think you should be watering a larger amount less often. The best way to tell is the weight of the plant but I could never get the hang of that technique.

In regards to the lights, I agree with the reflective material part for sure, but the bulb is going to emit more light from the side then the end. The surface area of the bulb is greater on the side.

Indo - with two different disagreeing opinions you may want seek more advice. Good luck.

8. drooping leaves is either salt lockout, or over watering.

the soil should be dry on the top 2 inches of soil before watering.

but 2 cups of water isnt alot.

you may be root bound as well, what size pot is that?

9. Drooping leaves can be either. That's why it's hard to diagnose. :)

10. #30 Indobud1212, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
    Hey guys,

Thank you both for the opinion. I feel like probably its root bound because its almost 2 ft 1/2. and its in a 3 gallon pot. Seems soil wise has about 8 inches of dirt after measuring. What are T5 bulbs? The leafs look droppy and feel alil ruff but not hard stiff. The fan leafs from like bottom of plant down look droppy and pointing downwards. Hope this helps guys. I'm scared of trandplant lol also couldn't find a better pot at walmart. Wider but not deeper. Maybe a 5 gallon paint bucket with hole at bottom?
    About the light guys I'm still confused cus I hung them so not sure which way is right. I have this galv. Pipe thing I can try to attach. The walls are white but damn home depot does not have mylar only thing close they should was a insulation with reflective backing.

11. Hey GC,

Had to stop in today for a stressful update. Well I went one day without watering and today I notice more stress marks on some new fan leafs :( . Also today I noticed I have been giving it about 2 cups of water every day. Well today I decided to give it 4 cups and I'm thinking of watering it every other day. I'm hoping this helps I also plan to pick up a p
    PH meter thingy. Newb question does it come with some thing that helps me either lower or rise the PH level or is that separate? Could it also be that the damn soil is out of nurtients or what ever they call it? I don't know much but looks weird to me a 2ft 1/2 female in 3 gallon pot with about 8 inches of dirty. Any input valued thanks for reading.

12. You can add more dirt. It's not a problem.

T5 is the size of the flourescent bulb. They come in a million sizes and color options. I would stick with the CFLs for now.

I still vote for underwatering. :confused_2:

This will be fine. Lot's of people use these for 5g pots. Although, I'm not convinced that's your problem. Anytime there is a problem you should start with PH and go from there.

Go to lighting section and read some threads to get other opinions. I'm positive they will say to hang sideways.

Wal-Mart sells emergency blankets made from mylar for $3. That will work fine.

More water less often. Half a two-litre per plant every day. Start there and go forward. Once again, this is my opinion, you may want another.

It can't hurt. No, PH up and PH down are sold separately.

Out of nutrients? Don't know. I do know that it is not recommended to use soil with time released nutes. I would recommend getting some Fox Farms Ocean Fresh before you transplant. And don't worry, it's fairly simple. Good luck.

13. Thanks for all that info. I saw. PH meter thing at walmart in the aquarium/fish aile. Would this be the same thing? With the soil issue I think I'm going to add some more and probably water more less often. Will keep in touch.

14. My guess is your over watering. the best thing to do is to stick your finger in the soil about an inch or two and see if its wet or dry. If its dry then water, if its wet then wait a day. Thats what i do and i have had no problems with my watering schedule.

Your probably not rootbound either. a 3 gal pot will do just fine for a plant that is 2.5 feet tall.

What are your temps and RH%? if its too hot and humid it can cause your plants to do that as well.

also, Impact, larger quantity of water less often is not a good thing. you want smaller quantity more often. Its the same with the way humans are supposed to eat. Eating 5 smaller meals a day is healthier then eating 2 big ones. The plants intake food very similarly. Its what i do and its working very well. I read it in one of Rosenthall's books.

15. Hello Imalittleteapot,

Thanks for you opinion its greatly appreciated. The part about using your finger makes sense. I think I read it is grow book I'm still wondering how much to give it. Regarding the temp, it is normally 68/78 ( low/ high). Not sure what RH is did you mean PH is so I don't have a meter. Humidity is roughly 40/59.

16. LTP - I'm not disagreeing with you or Rosenthal just saying what worked for me. I could never judge by finger or weight. I just knew after 48 hours of one pitcher of water (1/2 a two litre) my leaves would begin to droop. My soil was mixed with a large amount of perilite though. I still maintain he should be watering at least until he sees some run off. He's not getting a lot of opinions and I'm just trying to help.

17. Hello again I was reading earlier on on a forum someone had on there link. About the run off and so. Is runoff when ocer watering and it soaks thru and leaks out? I'm going to def. Go get a PH meter reader thingy.

18. yeah dude its all good. Weed is such a strong plant that you can grow it however or wherever the fuck you want. Everyone has their own ways. I am a new grower and have little first hand experience but i sure have learned a lot. if it works for you then great. the way i do it works too. So does the other 100 ways to feed/water your chronic plant of goodness. lol, im stoned as fuck btw...

yo OP...how the hoes doing now?
    also im a little confused on how many watts your running. The actual cfl watts are all that matter. The equiv. wattage means nothing because it refers to incandesant lights like a normal 45w soft white house bulbs. those are horrible for growing. so if its a 65w 300 equiv then you would have a 65w cfl bulb. not a 300w. catch my drift?

19. oh i also forgot, when i said RH% i meant humidity. RH%= Relative Humidity %. so your temps and humidity are good. which leads back to my original, "your over watering" statement.

20. Hey Imalittleteapot,

How's it going man? Hope well. Regarding the over watering. Do you think 2 cups is too much for a 2ft 1/2 female in a 3 gallon pot? Also i noticed our flowering pot does not have a hole at the bottom to let excess water drip but may friend said it looks like it might have a little compartment at bottom that keeps it? Its from walmart so just tring to add input.