2nd CFL Organic Micro Grow - With Pics

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by bruce6000, Sep 2, 2011.

1. #1 bruce6000, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    Hey guys- Here's my second closet grow of an unknown Sativa strain. My first grow was pretty kick ass so i figured I'd try my hand at it again. I changed up the soil recipe a bit, so I'm excited to see how this one will turn out. This grow will be completely organic. The only thing I'll be adding to the water is blackstrap molasses. Read on...

Transplanted seedlings 8-11-11 into a gallon container with:

6 parts compost
    2 parts perlite
    2 parts EWC
    2 tbs bone meal
    1 tbs kelp meal
    2 tbs gypsum
    2 tbs blackstrap molasses per gallon of distilled water (at every watering)

2 50 watt 6500K CFLs
    4 26 watt 2700K CFLs

The little guy at the bottom left is a backup in case the big guy is a male plant lol. I'll try to update this with pics as often as possible so it'll be somewhat of a grow journal. Open to all suggestion and or comments.

21 days from seedling:

[​IMG]

2. so how old are they together? and looks like you have your setup down pat they are very nice and bushy from what i can see

3. They're both 22 days. They started out at the same time but the smaller plant has had less light intensity, so it's naturally smaller.

I need to get the setup dialed in just right so both plants get the same amount of lumens. It's in the works. Thanks for your comments bro.

4. Lookin good man! My question to you more than anything is will you be topping them at some point to keep the tall-Sativa height down, or is your grow/flower space able to handle tall beauties?!?

5. #5 bruce6000, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    I'm set up for vertical height, man, so no topping. I'll be focusing all the light on that single cola so it gives me nice fat nugs. The only exception is that if it gets too tall, like 4+ feet, then I'll top. I don't see that happening. I'll flip it once it reaches 2-3 feet

6. This looks nice, I'm subb'd. :)

7. How many CFLs are above the big girl?

8. I'm interested too. It should be at least 100 actual watts per plant. :)
    OP probably already knows that though, its his second grow.

9. #9 bruce6000, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    I have roughly 100+ watts on each plant.

One 50 watt above the big girl- actually, don't know if it's a girl yet :) Same goes for the small girl. Then I have some 26 watts positioned all around the plant. They're surrounded by light. Plus I have some random grow lights from my old fish tank thrown in there for good measure.

I had to get some of the lights out of the way for picture taking! But trust me, it's a light jungle in that closet. Heat build up is a bitch but I've been able to get it under control with two fans. So yea, all in all, it's looking good and no problems as of yet.

10. hey bruce just remember there is the possibility of your plant doubling or trippling size during flowering so just becareful i know 2 to 3 feel seems small but it could end up being way to big for your box

11. Yeah if you want to have a 4 foot plant, I'd suggest flipping at 2 feet or so. I say you should also top them to mike them branch out some more before flipping. I did it with my GDP mother and she is a bush and is thick with branches. I'm hoping for 2oz at this rate

12. #12 bruce6000, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
    Day 26...

I appreciate the advice guys. I can grow up to 4 feet in my space but I don't want it to get anywhere near that tall. The big plant is approaching a foot in height. I've been considering flipping it sooner than later as 420smurf420 & greenbudguy suggested, so maybe at 1 1/2 feet?

As was typical with my last grow, heat buildup is becoming an issue. I'm maxed out at 200 watts total with temps lingering around the 78-82 degree mark. It's a circulating system and I have no way to exhaust the air. These plants definitely thrive in 75 degree temps, anything above that they start to curl up.

Here's a picture update for day 26 which was yesterday: Peace out!

[​IMG]

13. What's up guys and gals- another quick update and a question for you guys...

First off, the big girl is coming along nicely, grew another two inches in two days and is pre-flowering, nice! One down, one to go. I'm not so sure about the smaller of the two but I think I saw some ball sacs. Hopefully I'll be able to tell in a few more days.

Okay, my question is this: If I keep a 6500K CLF turned on during the flowering stage with my other 2700K bulbs, would that have any benefits to bud quality or yield? Tried the search here but haven't been able to come up with an answer.

Thanks!

14. They say having a few daylight and a soft white helps haven't been able to test it myself though

15. Hey, why don't you do some LST or branch training to keep them short but veg longer and get a higher yeild? You can train the branches to keep them shorter and you'd be able to veg longer which means more bud sites and more buds

16. @loopster- I don't think it would hurt, but then again I'm just guessing. The only thing I know is that blue light grows green stuff and red light triggers flowering. I think some of the high end HPS/MH bulbs use both spectrums. I'm all for experimenting.

Well...it's like this, I was hoping I'd luck out and get two females, and just concentrate all my efforts on growing two fat buds at least a foot or two in height and yield 4-5 oz.

But... one of these might turn out to be a male. I'll know in a few more days without a doubt. If it does turn out to be a male, I could consider doing some LST training.

The question is isn't it too late to train a plant that's over a foot tall? I could always top it and veg a little bit longer?

17. Well you can LST but not as hard as with a shorter one because the branches have become harder and more difficult to train. You can still train it but do it slowly and gently. Either that or top it and train the branches that grow off the main stem

18. I just checked to see if there's still any pliability on the lower branches, but not so much. They became amazingly brittle like in two weeks.

I can work on the top branches though. My thoughts are that perhaps it's not the best candidate for LST training at this stage, but I'm all for topping, especially now that my other plant could end up being a male.

I gotta ask you a question about topping. I know it's easy in principle, but I've never topped a plant before, so where do you recommend topping it? Like near the top at the first node, or the middle of the plant?

19. Have you ever tried cloning?

20. #20 bruce6000, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
    Yea, I've tried cloning. I think I see where you're going with this :D

For cuttings I usually cut 2-3 nodes down. This is my second organic grow but I've done lots of hydro, and honestly, I've never had to top a plant because of the sheer number of clones I had going.

Based on this pic, where is a good place to top? It's already bushy as hell with several stems branching off from the main stem.

[​IMG]