250Watt HPS question!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by arthurchronic, Sep 23, 2010.

1. can i veg AND flower?? or do i need to get blue light (like MH or CFL) to veg??? :confused:

i got a grow cabinet which fits two plants but im gonna flower one at a time to get the most out of the light. im worried about the vegetative cycle though will the HPS work for that too?

2. yeh mate you can veg and flower with that

3. because ive been told for the vegetative they enjoy light which leans more on the blue side of the spectrum (4200k)

im glad to hear my 250w HPS will do the trick wudve been a bitch to put another lamp in there :smoke:

4. well , you are right though
    (MH) blue spectrum is best for veg but you cant flower with it , you get airy buds and it ends up a waste of your time
    (HPS) red spectrum is best for flowering and veg thats how iv done mine
    although using (MH) the plants grow faster in the veg state

5. Both are true -- HPS will work for veg, but the plant will do better under blue-spectrum 6500k light. Using HPS for veg will cause some stretching and a bit less secondary growth.

6. stretching ??? you sure about that
    what do you mean secondary growth ?

7. jejeje please please argue away i am learning from all this XD

8. lol , sori mate
    im like that , especially when i hear false information given to newbies
    well i should say inaccurate
    iv been using HPS through out my cultivation life and have never experienced stretching nor , secondary growth problems because of a light
    that happens because of human error , not the light

9. no worries! :smoke:

i meant it i like comparing points of view then making my own judgment based on that. looks like you got it down pretty straight i must say the plants look super happy with the 250W hps lamp they look at it as if it was the sun!:p

10. you have any pics of your grow mate ?

11. yes you can use a 250 watt HPS for veg. its better to use a different spectrum for veg, and its more suited for flowering, but it does both just fine.

i'v vegging under one right now, and they are bushy as hell, growing nice and healthy. no stretching of any kind.

12. #13 Norcali, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    toasty tends to not give out bad info, atleast that i've seen. HPS will cause the internodes between leaf sets to stretch, or grow longer. Later in flowering these internodes is where your buds (flowers) will grow. If it is a stretched out distance, it will lead to less dense buds. The blue spectrum, 6500k, will cause these internodes to not stretch so much between leaf sets, leading to more dense buds. I have seen journals doing both, MH 100% and HPS for 100% of the grow as well. Pot was grown, it was high quality, and quantity was good. There is some scientific stuff as to which spectrum is available to plants in their natural environment during the different seasons of growing, hit the search bar if you want more info. Its been discussed at length here in GC.

13. Yes. Not bad stretching like a newbie plant getting inadequate light, but as Norcali said, vegging under MH you usually will get denser, tighter internode spacing than under HPS. Secondary growth is branching.

14. so if im gonna flower lets say one bush at a time i should be fine with a 100W MH and a 250W HPS 100% of the grow??? in the space i got???

15. thanks guys for the info. another thing, im growing from seed right now, what is early sexing and how does it work??

im reading in a magazine that some poeple change the photoperiod before transplanting to where the plant is gonna stay till harvest to be able to sex the plant before veging it all the way.

how true is this and how does it work if it is true?