250w or 400w

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by fastdelslow, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hi there, I'm new to the forums but i have been researching off and on for a while now. I finally decided to start my first grow. I want to start with the lowryder strain but my question is....
    should i buy a 250w hps or a 400w hps for about 4 plants. The lowryders only grow to about a foot so i thouht the 250w would be sufficiant. what would you recomend?

Thanks
    -Brian

2. well i just went ahead and bought the 250w hps...thanks

3. sorry you didnt wait a bit...400 watts would have been better for 4 plants..but you will do okay. Less yield, but they will grow fine. maybe you could buy a 2 fluoros to put on the sides of it for a bit of extra light cheap.

4. Good luck getting jack shit out of lowryder... from what I've been told the yield sucks (like 7 grams) and it isn't very potent. If you're going to invest in that kind of lighting system, get some better bud or use bag seed or something.

5. You should do good with that light. I don't know anything about that strain.

6. well i also got kc36 seeds, i just wanted to start with the lowryder to build experience...

7. ^^^ Not a bad idea, but lowryder is a bit unique from most other strains. You can't clone it, and because it's autoflowering you don't have to mess with changing the light schedules (in other words, you can grow different age plants all in the same room). Personally, I think the best way to get experience is to use bag seed, if you fuck it up you're not out any money.

8. thanks for the info....another question i have is what soil do i use. I went to the local gardening store and they dont have the recomended soil. What can I use from Home Depot or some other Big chain?

thanks
    -Brian

9. If the soil they have is too high in nutrients, you can mix it with inert stuff like sand. A lot of people make their own soil mixes with stuff like perlite (sp?).

10. hey astro, what wattage should i buy for the flouros.

-Brian

11. As high as you can. The highest I've seen in a store is 28 watts, but they make them higher.

12. cool man thanks for the help....

-Brian

13. hey guys one more question. What distance from the seedlings/plants should the 250w hps and the flouros be at?

-Brian