250w HPS vs 180w or 240w Blackstar LEDs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by brotherjericho, Mar 22, 2012.

1. My plans as they stand right now are to use a 250w HPS in a cool tube for my flower closet. I will be using a standard bulb, not one of the more expensive grow types that sell for $50+. It will be covering approximately 3 sqft, perhaps more (odd shaped space, partially triangular). Due to the limited space and shape, I could not fit in a standard reflector so I will be DIYing one.

However, I've been looking at LEDs for flowering. I already have a setup for my veg box and I'm happy with it. But with all of the DIY I'm having to do for my HPS setup, I wonder if a 180w or 240w Blackstar LED panel would be just as effective, or close?

I realize HIDs are the best, for the most part, due to superior light penetration. But once I put my 250w in a cool tube, I reduce my lumen output. Plus, my DIY reflector will probably not be the best. With that in mind, how would one of the LED panels above compare?

Amazon.com: 180W Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar Grow Light 6 Band Band 3W Chips Flowering 180 Watts: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: 240W LED Grow Light Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar 240 Watts Flowering: Patio, Lawn & Garden

2. Attached Files:

3. Well, after many hours of research, I am going to go with the Pro-Grow 180. If heat is not an issue, I may cool tube the 250w and put in a vertical position in the center of my plants once I have 3 in the space, keep it off if 2 or less.

4. Hello,
    Please tell me why you chose that particular LED?
    Id like to hear about your research, thank you.
    I too have 250 HSP but am interested in LED as well .
    Thanks
    url

5. I read of some recommendations for it on other sites. Plus it has a 3 yr warranty. Thus far it seems to be doing well, but being my first grow, I have nothing to compare it to. 14 days into 12-12 and I have seemingly good bud formation and the plant (only one right now) looks healthy overall.

With my setup, the HPS just wasn't the right fit. Not sure what the end result of the LED will be, but temps are good (high 70s) even with warm out being pumped out of my veg box, which is in the same closet.