250w HPS for Vegging or Blooming?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DankBlunt, Jun 17, 2010.

1. I'm debating on wether to use CFL's or go ahead and buy a 250w HPS light.
    I know that HPS lights are by far one of the best lights to use when growing,
    But I have one problem, Should I use a HPS during Vegging season or Flowering season?
    Can you buy HPS for vegging and HPS for flowering?
    HPS Daylight for Vegging
    HPS Soft white for flowering?

I have no clue, please I'm sure it's a simple question and alot of you know the answer.
    Here's the HPS I'm thinking about getting. I heard GE/Philips were good brands to use.

LHPS250, 250W HPS Mogul Base Bulb / Lamp ED18, ED18 - eLights.com

I'll be growing roughly 4 Indica plants.
    Two strains will be from the ryder family. (Lowryder #2, Diesel Ryder)
    Please let me know your opinion.

Or should I just stick to CFL's

Lighting:
    2700k CFL For Flowering Soft White
    2 x 32w (150w)
    Light Output: 2150 Lumens
    EcoSmart 32 Watt (150W) 3-Way Soft White 1 Pack (E)* - ES59032 at The Home Depot
    (Get more as I go)
    ---------------------
    6500k CFL for Vegging Daylight
    4 x 27w CFL's (100W)
    Light Output: 1750 Lumens
    EcoSmart 27 Watt (100W) Daylight, 2 Pack (E)* - ES5M827250K at The Home Depot

PRICE FOR LIGHTING: $25.91

2. Hi.

Heres what I do: It produces beautiful bushes that yield awesomely...

I go straight CFLs thru veg and then hit them hard with an HPS during flower.
    If u LST, Top and FIM, u will have crazy bushes with tons of budsites and
    lots of colas.

Check out the stickies in the Advanced growing forum for info on these techniques.

:smoke:

3. HPS dont work like cfl's bro....they all have the same lumens pretty much. and they are OPTIMAL for flowering but perform just fine in veg. if ur wanna those people all concerned about ur color temps you can buy a ballast that ignites both MH bulbs and HPS so you can switch amongst the 2 for your respective growth period. this is really only for people with one cab.....if you got a box for each then obviously you wouldnt such a ballast

4. I was thinking about doing the full CFL during vegging and then hitting them with the HPS light during flowering. It sounds like it would give them fantastic improvement. Would I need a certain type of HPS light? Like Warm or Cool?

5. Seriously.. no one can push the answers further?

6. I personally use:

For VEG: 8x4' - 40w T5 Floro tubes.
    4 plants.

For FLOWER: 2x250w - HPS. Top and Side coverage.
    4 plants.

When I harvest, my plants look like 3' bushes, with freakin colas all over the place.
    (a porcupine, if u will).
    I have yet, to harvest less than an ounce of dank bud/plant.

Works great for me.

:smoke: