1. Win a Personalized Grasscity Stoner Kit! Subscribe to our Youtube for a chance to WIN!
    Dismiss Notice

250 watt hps

Discussion in 'Absolute Beginners' started by look closer, May 17, 2002.

1. how many watts can you have going and simply plug it into a wall socket, i never hear anyone talk about this and im an idiot so i dont know and i sure as hell cant do any rewiring in my house. i wanna use as little elctricity as possible and grow 2-3 plants on a budget...any help???
  2. Power (or watts) is a fuction of voltage and current. Therefore a standard recepticle would be wired to a 15 Amp fuse or breaker. If you house voltage is 110 Volts then Power = 110 Volts X 15 Amps = 1650 Watts max. So 1650 / 250 = 6 250 Watt lamps.

Is that OK for ya?

Just make sure all of your lights have a proper ground and that if you are using any extesion cords make sure they have a ground too. Then if you overload the circuit you'll just blow a fuse and avoid burning down your house.
  3. A good rule of thumb is to only load a breaker up to 80% of its capacity. On a 15-amp service with 14 gauge wire one should only load it up to 12 Amps MAX. Since most lights will draw 1 amp per 100 watts a 15-amp breaker can handle one 1000w light each. So a safe bet is no more than 4 250w on same 15amp circuit.....

Grasscity Deals Near You