250 watt HPS vs MH for vegging.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by adam89, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I have a 250 watt HPS setup and i was wondering would it be good to use for vegging as oppose to a 250 watt MH.

Has anyone experimented with it?

2. I'm using a 250w hps and its fine for vegging, It's a vast improvment on a large cfl i used before. What kind of space are you going to use it in? I'm using mine in a wardrobe and i've got a large inline fan connected to ducting aimed at the bulb to keep the temp under 29 degrees C. what kind of reflector have you in mind? I have an orion reflector and its much more effiecient than the budget ones. Hope that helps

3. i've notice a little more bushyness with a metal halide, and not so much with a high pressure during veg. the plants like the blue spectrum the MH puts out for veg.

4. HPS bulbs produce more light and stimulates flowering in plants. HPS Bulbs are all Universal and are used for flowering/ fruiting and typically last longer than MH bulbs.

5. well since I JUST got my 250 watt MH bulb in the mail for my HPS ballast I'll tell you how it goes after a week weeks compared to my 250 HPS....the HPS wasn't doing much at all by itself for my clones in veg so I invested in two T5 floros so that may effect the results slightly but I've now took away the T5's and just have the 250 MH going right now. All 6 of my clones are root and 4 out of 6 are strong. The other two are a bit yellowing but they seem alright besides that. All have new growth so I'm pumped that I just got this MH...these clones are about 2 weeks old, I got em from a friend at 1 week and have been under my floros / hps ever since.

P.S. the strain was bred by my buddy, most intense body stone EVER.
    He calls it Purple Heart (Purple Kush x Lion Heart)

6. metal halide mate no debate on which is best mh is the 1:) as joxter said the mh has more blue spec ideal for vegging where the hps has more red spec good for flowering.

all the best M.:smoking: