250 watt hps bulb question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mister Postman, Feb 26, 2006.

1. I ordered the econo 250 watt hps from www.insidesun.com. The bulb is just the bulb that comes with the fixture.. do I need any special grow bulb, or for my first grow (3-5 plants tops lst style, and veged short/bushy hopefully) will it do?

also how do you recommend to sex the plant.. i want to try and sex early and remove males to maximize light for my females. Any tricks or tips you can tell me about this?

also i will be updating, and doing a journal when my three plants are going good.. i have 1 bag seed, 1 white widow, and 1 durban poison X skunk1 started.. you think I should start more of each?? I only have a small closet space of 3 x 1.5 x 4.5 high.. think i should start a few more of each to make sure i get a female to harvest of each kind?

also this is the first year i will be taking clones or keeping a mother plant.. when that times comes I'd appreciate some help. thanks guys and I'm looking foward to a good first indoor grow.

2. Stick with 1 strain at a time and learn to clone. each strain takes different ppm's and sometimes even different ph's . i would order from http://www.discount-hydro.com
    even a 400 wont really give you solid nugs , you should try 400-600 air cooled . i was a little dissapointed with 2 400's my first time. ( im assuming if you kept it to 1 flower under 250 watts it'd be decent?) I didnt goto that site to look , but usually the bulb comes with the ballst , the reflector is sepreate. PS. i took a quick glance at ur site, i seen the ecno grow 400 watt system.

3. The 250 watt is a done deal.. That is what I bought , and what I'm using for this grow. Plus I have 2 40-watt 3,000+ luman fluorescents for a few clones to veg while my others are flowering.

This is the first indoor grow so I was looking to harvest a female of each kind, and get an idea of each strains growing habits, and which I enjoy the most to smoke. I was really just wondering if the bulb it comes with is good for growing, or will i need a sun agro or hortilux hps bulb? I already know 250 watt will be sufficient for the space, and size I'm growing these plants too. Not looking for killer yeilds, but good potent smoke for myself from 2-3 females if lucky.

4. I think you're set up pretty good. 250w hps is a good size for your 3'x1.5' space. You don't need the special grow bulbs. What you have will work very well.

One seed each doesn't leave room for error and beginners always make some mistakes. I'd recommend being patient and start with the bag seed and see if it germinates, then after a couple weeks when it's got a couple of nodes on it start one of your good ones.

Good Luck!

5. well it's late for that. I got 1 bag seed, 1 white widow, and 1 durban poison X skunk started:)

My largest is from bag seed at 6 days old, and I have 1 white widow, and 1 durban poison X skunk sprouted.

so that means 1 of each so far.. think i should start more in case I have a few males? I want a female widow for sure LOL.. right now they are under 24 hour light under 2 40 watt cool white fluorescents 3,000 lumens each about 2 inches from the plant, and I have a good box fan blowing on it for stem stength..

Ok I have to keep these low, and bushy but I want to harvest as much as possible from them.

my grow is in regular soil from home depot, and I added some vermiculite. I also put in two spikes of fertilizer in each pot.. they are time release over 3 months.

edit: I started another widow today to increase my odds of female plants of this strain

pic below is largest 6 day old bag seed:) Look already has second growth sites starting.. Anything I should do??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pic of white widow sprout
    [​IMG]
    this is my setup till my 250 hps comes. dont laugh hehe it seems to be working just fine:p
    [​IMG]

6. Yeah. Take out those fertilizer spikes. If they start feeding your plants now as baby seedlings, they will over-fertilize your plants.

7. ok will do.. then you suggest using nothing right now? I was afraid the soil I purchased was nutritionally low. It was regular top soil from home depot.. no nutes added.. I figured the spikes would be safe due to the time release. They are Jobe's Brand 10-10-4

8. Yeah. The problem with "time release" is that you have no control of when the nutes are released. The artificial indoor lights that we use tend to speed up the time release process and can over fertilize baby plants. Yes, for now the plants do not need any nutrients. When they are about a total of three weeks old or so then you can fertilize them and introduce it at 1/4 to 1/2 strength as not to shock them.

9. I was able to pull out most without much harm. On one of them I actually added soil, so instead of fucking up young roots I'll just leave it, and learn my lesson... Out of the ones I was able to pull out I'm sure some got released caused it was mushy, but still a bit firm. I believe I was able to get all of it except for maybe 1/4 inch piece of one stake. I hope I didn't fuck them up before they started.. It's ok cause the white widow the one I'm really concered about I was able to get it all out, and I planted another seed today, and did not add a fert stake. Thanks for your help!!