250 watt HID in a small tent?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 3Deez, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Okay, I posted this question in two other areas and got no answers so deleted those and decided to post it here in hopes that someone might be able to give some assistance.

I have a 2x2x5 tent...very small but its all I need since I only run two plants at a time. I have had a few grows in it with CFLs and got some decent yeilds but Im thinking about upgrading to HIDs. What I need to know is if 250 watts is too much for a tent that small? I currently have approx 230 watts of CFL and I get temps around 78-84F. Alot of people say that CFLs dont produce heat but I know for a fact that 10-12 lights in that small area will in fact produce something. I have extraction going through my ceiling and that along with running my lights at night has been keeping my heat down.

Also, what do you guys think about this set up? iPower 250w 250 watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Kit cheaper than 400w 400 watt | eBay

Im on a budget...

Thanks,
    DDD

2. You are going to get more heat in that small of an area. I have roughly the same size flowering chamber, thats for two plants at best, and I used 250, then went to 400, and both of them heat the place up pretty bad. If you have fresh air being pumped in, then you are good to go.
    The problem I have, is I cant run a cool tube due to the space, Its why Im building a bigger room soon.

3. I initially thought about a 150 watt system but then I read that some growers dont consider the jump to be worth it...

So what is the size of the chamber you were using? What temps were you getting? I guess that I should be okay with a cool tube then?:confused:

4. The chamber was 2.5x2.5 by 6. If you have enough fans pumping in cool air, and removing the heat, you could pull it off. But if it was me, I would just get a bigger tent and not look back!

The cool tube needs to have inlet and output ducts, and for my room, that itsnt possible, but it might be in a tent. But being so close, I would check it out. Im going to the 4x4 with a floating ceiling. I was told by by many to get bet bigger than needed, and I went with what I thought I would need, and now, Im spending more money...
    I usually only harvest 2-4 plants at a time, so hope that a 4x4 works for a while!
    Good luck!

5. I have a 2x3x5 with a 400w HPS.. Same brand actually. I think a 150 would be better then CFLs but you could DEFINITELY get a 250w or more if you plant to properly ventilate the tent.. Get a vented hood or cool tube and remove the air from the grow room before it ever even effects the temps in the tent. I have a 4" 165cfm can with a phresh filter on it in my tent and my temps are solid at around 79F. Temps outside of your tent will make a big difference on the temps inside your tent!

Edit: oh ya.. Mines set up like so:

80mm computer fan blowing cool air into the tent down low.. Then at the top I go filter > hood > 165cfm fan > ducting out of tent..

6. Beleive me when I tell ya, I WISH I had the room for a bigger tent...that would be sooooo cool:ey:. Space is my problem. I started out with a grow box that I built and then I got my hands on the tent. I fits perfectly in my closet. I have nice sized walk in closet but the majority of it taken by the wife...all I need is a small corner for my clothes, tent and my guns:D. My closet has A/C that comes into it and it is always cool in there. My tent has two intakes at that bottom and I got extraction up top that my fan pulls so hard on that the tent collapses a lil bit.

Thanks for the input! You have a 400 in that space?! What temps do you get??? I thought about the 150 but I know how I am...I might as well go with the bigger wattage now because I know that I will be kicking myself later. My closet gets A/C as I stated above in the other reponse....my intakes are passive and I have two. WHat temps do you get with you set up?

7. Hey, i definitely think you could do it with a cool tube and with keeping the ballast outside the tent. I have a 600watter in a 4x2 that I am able to keep at 84 with lights on. I use 2 fans though. a small one just for the light that takes air from outside, threw the hood, and back outside the tent. Then I have an inline fan with a carbon scrubberpuling air out the top. And passive air intake at the bottom.

If you think you are ever going to do a slightly bigger tent, I would get a 400 watt dimmale ballast.

8. I have a 400CFM fan pulling air out the top that goes up through a cut out in my ceiling...so a cool tube sounds like it might be right on point;).

9. HTG Supply - SuperNova Reflector i like this hood because the ducting connects on top so you dont need the extra space for the ducting. makes the fan work a little harder but not bad. that is why I have the fan just for the light though. used to have it all connected but it was loud, now it is quiter with thte two smaller fans.

this is the fan iuse with the bulb, just have it plugged into the light timer. HTG Supply - 4" Inline Duct Fan

10. Yeah you would do just fine with that big of a fan and even a 400w.. Like the other guy said get a dimmable ballast and you can turn it down if it gets to hot.. Mine is set pretty much at 79F at all times, I do have a/c running in the house as well. I have a air cooled hood though, I like them a lot better than cool tubes.

11. Thanks for ht input guys! I guess Im gonna go ahead and make the jump! I wanna get it ASAP cause Im about to harvest my current girl and throw my clones in the tent!;)

12. [quote name='"Past Times"']HTG Supply - SuperNova Reflector i like this hood because the ducting connects on top so you dont need the extra space for the ducting. makes the fan work a little harder but not bad. that is why I have the fan just for the light though. used to have it all connected but it was loud, now it is quiter with thte two smaller fans.

this is the fan iuse with the bulb, just have it plugged into the light timer. HTG Supply - 4" Inline Duct Fan[/quote]

Do you know if the 4" inline fan is quiet?