250 MH or 600 HPS for veg?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gho0ost, Feb 2, 2011.

1. 250 MH or 600 HPS for veg?

2. I hope this is a joke.

600 watt HPS obviously, MH is only slightly superior to HPS for veg.
    [​IMG]

3. depeds how many plants/size of area...MH is better for veg for sure

4. I just did an experiment comparing 250W MH versus 400W HPS for veg. The MH plant grew to over twice the size of the HPS plant. It may sound counterintuitive, but veg under the lower wattage MH will yeild better results than the higher wattage HPS. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

5. The MH spectrum is optimal for veg. IMO wattage isnt as important in veg as it is in flowering. Id go with the 250w MH for veg and switch to a higher wattage HPS for flowering.

6. Agreed 250 MH for veg and 600 for flower. The 250 MH would be fine for Veggin, as this requires less light then flowering. But if your on a budget I would go with the 600 watt hps. Hps will veg fine, might be a little xtra internodial stretch nothing major. The 600 watt HPS will give you tighter, bigger budz compared to doing the whole run with just a 250watt. 600 will offer veg and enough light for a 3x3' even a 4x4'. GooD LucK

7. I certainly can attest for the MH lights being great during veg. As for flowering, I haven't used a high wattage HPS. I've been told by many people that HPS is better for flowering, so I say go with the HPS!

8. Lower wattage MH for vegging period because lumens are not quite as important in the veggie stage as in the flowering stage, you would get a little bit of stretching if vegging with a 600watt HPS inless it was cooltubed. Use the HPS for the flowering stage.

9. T-5 HO's will out perform either with less heat and electric.

Wet

10. The poll shows 2 to 14 in favor the 600HPS. WTF??? It's a wonder anyone here ever grows anything. Fine, veg under a HPS; it's stupid and will result in smaller plants and lower yield, but knock yourselves out. Freaking maroons............

11. Lol I'm a little surprised by the results as well.

A 600w HPS sounds like overkill for veg anyway (regardless if it's wrong spectrum)... unless you've got a bunch of plants. 250-400w MH vegs things pretty awesomely from what I've seen.

Now, I know that you can veg with HPS, but I don't think it's preferable in most situations...

12. Today I will put my plants into 600hps. They have been vegging for about 5 weeks under 250hps and they are not done vegging. I will put them in my flower tent (600hps) for another couple of weeks and then to the time flip, 12-12.
    Any comments?
    My thrid grow, geeting better, less mistakes.