24in x 24in x 36 grow box newb

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by trixman22, Apr 30, 2010.

1. I used a wardrobe box form home Depot and lined it with tin foil. I have A 125W CFL daylight. It is a LA Confidential clone in a GH PowerGrower. This is my first indoor/hydro run. I have grown out doors before but im sick of only being able to grow once a year.

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      156.9 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      158.9 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      138.9 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      147.3 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      147.7 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      157.3 KB
      Views:
  2. I'd suggest using mylar instead of tinfoil. I've heard that tinfoil can cause hot spots and burn the plant. You can pickup a reflective camping blanket from Walmart pretty cheap.
    Also get some kind of oscillating desk fan and put it in there to help circulate the air and bring down the temps.
    What are the temps in there btw?

3. The box is in the corner of my closet (fits like a glove). I have a fan at the very top of the closet shooting air out of the closet and I have one on the closet floor that is spinning to circulate air. I was thinking it is a bit to cold in there if anything. The temps seem to be maybe 5 degrees warmer then the rest of my room. My room is 65 F. Since im using CFLs the heat seems to be a non issue right now. Give me 2 and a half months and It will prob be to hot. What is the max temp that is ok for my grow box? I still have work to do on the box but I ran out of money till next week. I am also some what obsessive so I couldn't wait to complete my box b4 i put a plant in there. Plus the strain I wanted was around so I snached it up. My next project is to get an out door set up going since the season is upon me. Anyone know if sourBubble does good out doors? I really want to grow that strain. I found it once at a clinic in LA and that shit was some of the best herb I have had in a long time. Beat out a lot of the super potent OG's.

4. I would be concerned if it stays above 90F for ANY considerable amount of time.

5. You got yourself one flammable grow box there.

6. The CFL doesnt create enough heat to start a fire and my outlet is no where near max. Should I put a little fan in the box itself or is it fine with a 2sqft chimney and I have a fan on the top of the closet blowing out and i have a fan on the floor spinning pointing at the grow box door. The door is not air tight so blowing air at it gets in through the small cracks. But is that enough air circulation?

7. It's always great to have a nice direct breeze, that doesn't need to be very strong at all, in order to create thicker stems and more compact plants.

If a plant has resources, and it doesn't need to allocate those resources towards providing a thicker base, stem, branches, etc, then it will use those resources to simply grow upwards.

A plant doesn't want to fall over. A little breeze beefs up the stem providing a healthier, more compact plant.

and yes, I am sure I repeated myself. My apologies. :hello:

8. I know the breeze wont hurt it but I was just curious if my set up was circulating enough air. I don't want a think stem yet because I plan on LSTing and the thicker the stem the harder that will be. I'm only a noob at growing indoor\hydro. I have quite a bit experience growing outdoors in soil. I know plants eat up the CO2 around them rather quickly, so I was just curious if my ventilation was sufficient? My plant is still droopy today( im hoping its just the shock from the transplant.) But I am a little concerned because the stem is turning all purple and I know latter on that can be caused form a nute deficiency. Do you think that is anything to worry about?

9. You should really get that fan on there. a nice, healthy stem will always lead to a healthier plant. when it come to LSTing, take a note from supercroppers....pinch the stem a little bit, soften it up and bend her. the stem will stiffen again in no time.

If you're worried about the amount of fresh air your plant is getting, you can make passive intake holes in the bottom of the box, make a little light trap for it too

10. Did this thing burn down? Where's the updates? :D

11. Here are some updated pics. Sorry to disapoint but it didn't burn down. In fact I added 2 more lights and the temp has yet to go above 79 F. I got a bout 20 more days to go till she gets the chop. Her name is Liza, im pretty sure she is a lesbo.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      66 KB
      Views:
  12. Nicejob! Is that just one plant in there?

Ive been doing some outdoor and going to create an indoor set up now around that same size, give or take. Would love to know your materials list (eg. lights used, fans, etc.