24hr light cycle to 18/6 when?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by smokeys81, Mar 4, 2012.

1. When should I go to 18/6 light cycle I have been currently been on 24hr about 7 days. The 4 plants are in a DWC system. All four plants have at least one strong looking root in the water some longer than others. I already gave a dose of nutes at about 20% strength the tecnaflora starter kit ph is at 6.0 and the ppm is 255. The plants have their first set of leaves and they look strong. They are under about 400watts of cfl light right now, but will change to a 600watt MH or I also have a HPS which one should I switch to for the rest of the veg cycle?? So any suggestion or experiences would be greatly appreciated Thank you:wave:

2. I don't start with 24/0, but you can easily transition over the course of a few days by reducing the time the light is on by an hour each day.

You can probably switch immediately to 18/6, but I'd imagine that might cause a little bit of stress.

The 600w MH will give you better results than the 400w cfl

3. 6500k for Veg.. Mh
    2700k for flowering Hps best.

4. I switch over to 18/6 from 24/0 after 2 weeks. No problems here :)

5. Unless ur running a 1k watt MH I don't see the need to switch to 18/6. If ur running flouros or cfls then 24/0 is the best bet. The usual reason people use the 18/6 light schedule is to shave a few bucks off the electric bill. But like I said if ur not using HID I don't see why u would make the switch

6. [quote name='"Erbalist"']Unless ur running a 1k watt MH I don't see the need to switch to 18/6. If ur running flouros or cfls then 24/0 is the best bet. The usual reason people use the 18/6 light schedule is to shave a few bucks off the electric bill. But like I said if ur not using HID I don't see why u would make the switch[/quote]

Actually, we use it to give the plant time to grow roots during lights out.

7. I agree, in nature cannabis gets a lights out period, so it's only natural to let them sleep at night. They've been doing it for thousands of years on earth :D...

8. [quote name='"Erbalist"']Unless ur running a 1k watt MH I don't see the need to switch to 18/6. If ur running flouros or cfls then 24/0 is the best bet. The usual reason people use the 18/6 light schedule is to shave a few bucks off the electric bill. But like I said if ur not using HID I don't see why u would make the switch[/quote]

I agree, 24/0 works fine for veg and a healthy mj plant has no problem growing roots under 24/0.

9. I disagree, to the roots it's always dark. I go from 24 directly into 12, and running a perpetual setup, I can go from clones to flower ready in exactly 1 month. the drastic transformation in light will not stress, it will only reinforce to your plant that it is now time to start to flowering. so it will increase electricity use temporarily, but it will decrease electricity use because you are not using it as long. .. pleading on natures behalf when discussing indoor growing is kind of silly. the mj plant has evolved 2 indoor growing, certain techniques have been mastered indoors. it's almost like applying laws from the 17 hundreds in todays day. but I guess that is also done. now that I think about it, do you know what else does not happen in nature..... hey mean roots being sprayed with a nutrient solution, but that works... follow up on youtube 4 weekly updates and episodes...pedenergy

10. *hanging roots

11. The plants don't need a lights out period. Under the soil the lights are out. Always dark. 24/0 is the way to go for nice tight nodes. I have growing for awhile and know

12. #12 zeroshawdow, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012
    Either or is Good for Veg. 24/0 & 18/6. It will prevent the plants from flowering. I personally use 18/6 just because when I learned how to grow, that's what I started using it. But 24/0 will work too is matter of taste and money. However I have to point out what have been said, in nature there is no 24 hours of light (except in the POLES). To my best understanding plants does something during the dark cycle. I say 6 hours of dark will not give you a lower yield neither a higher one. But the plants will love them, IMO