24h darkness cut tops, then lights on for bottoms?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Gilderma, Mar 24, 2017.

1. I've turned lights off for 24-48 hours before and always noticed a boost in production. But has anyone blacked out for 24 hours, harvested tops, then turned the lights back on and let the bottoms go an other week ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm curious about this also...being on my first grow, I didn't lollipop very well so I have a ton of small buds that formed, I'm wondering also if keeping lights on them would be beneficial or should I just throw them in a paper bag?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just curious, I hope someone answers these, our questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. They really don't need 24 hours of darkness before harvesting, but yes chop the top half when ready and let the bottom go another week.

• Like Like x 2
  4. A week or longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. As an afterthought, and in case you don't know, you can easily re veg that plant after you harvest.

You can either cut the whole plant down and leave just a 'stump' or you can leave a few branches on.

It is beyond simple. Just put it in a corner under 24/0 or 18/6. You'll only need to water it once a week or less.

• Like Like x 1

6. I'm on my 6th grow now. I've always lollipoped myself, never had this big of a problem with bottom groth. But this strain just kept regrowing what I cut off, and after 3rd week of flower (6 week strain) I didn't want to cut more. So I let it go.. but now stuck with tons of small shit. Not turning on lights today and will cut the tops, then turn lights back on tomorrow. For bottoms to grow and other week. This picture was from a week ago. Some BC Sweet Tooth.

Attached Files:

7. Why don't you need 24hrs? I've researched that 24-48hrs of darkness before harvest boost the resin or something like that.

8. Some say it does, some say it doesnt. I mainly do it because the plant forces all the energy that was built up in the leaves over the "daytime" into the roots at night to help expand the roots. Harvesting in the dark after prolonged darkness keeps the nutrients in the soil and not in the flower. But also knowing this my personal thought is that it does boost growth. Simply because most growith occurs during the night. Just makes sense to me ..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Simple question, but do you use scope to tell when your harvest is ready? JW...

10. Do you mean like a magnifier? Yeah that's hands down the best way to tell when a flower is ripe. This BC Sweet Tooth is a prime example of how beneficial that is. This plant is the fastest flowering I've ever encountered . The hairs on the plant showed it was "mature" at 5 weeks (80% of hairs turned red and where not pointing straight up). Yet the trichomes where still clear with a little bit of milky here and there. By looking at the plant under a scope that showed me that just because the hairs proved "mature" the resin wasnt..

So now I'm 2 weeks past that point and I EXTREMELY happy I didn't chop then.. the buds gained so much more weight and now I have some Amber and mostly milky color. Some strains actually grow new white hairs and this strain did that also. I went from 90% orange to about 60% over a period of a week and half. But now turning orange again. Going off just pistils is not an accurate way to tell ripeness.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thanks man just making sure. I purchased one that wasn't strong enough so I was gonna exchange it but only if it's worth the effort, which it is I see now...thanks.

• Like Like x 1