240w LED Blackstar questions..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by randomdude420, May 18, 2012.

1. #1 randomdude420, May 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
    Hey guys I posted in the absolute beginners but got no one answers.. What can I expect to yield with a 240w blackstar and what size pot should be used?? I want to get (2) 240w blackstars but I am most likely only growing one plant so think this may be overkill.. Any input?

Now looking at (1) 500w Blackstar, check out my blueprints.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...0w-blackstar-grow-cab-blueprints-picture.html

2. What size grow area? Shoot me a PM, I have been doing a bit of research and know a bit about the lights you are looking at.

3. It's not actually 240 watts, that's replacement value(actual wattage is like 115)..... Not the same at all

Use 2.... You will have a better harvest

4. [quote name='"kryptogreen"']What size grow area? Shoot me a PM, I have been doing a bit of research and know a bit about the lights you are looking at.[/quote]

My grow area is unknown for right now but I have a wardrobe that's 33"x18"x55" I was considering converting into a grow cab or just goin out and buying a new one to use for it

5. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']It's not actually 240 watts, that's replacement value(actual wattage is like 115)..... Not the same at all

Use 2.... You will have a better harvest[/quote]

Yeah I knew about this, although I always thought they were between 130-160. Would you recommend I buy a low power LED that is actual stated power or are the blackstars efficient enough for their price.

6. [quote name='"randomdude420"']

Yeah I knew about this, although I always thought they were between 130-160. Would you recommend I buy a low power LED that is actual stated power or are the blackstars efficient enough for their price.[/quote]

Their pretty nice and run fairly cool....I just didn't want you to think it was really 240 watts.... Don't forget there are 3 fans that share the wattage consumption....and with growing watts are watts....the more the better

That being said, even with the wattage lies the black star led is hard to pass up for the price... The next best led manufacture I would recommend is easily over double the cost of two bs240 watt lights..... And the bs light preformed almost as good.... Maybe 70-80% of its competition.... Not too bad for the sticker price

So feel free to purchase just know the limitations of led and more specifically of all things black star wattage lies

Keep us posted and start a journal

7. #7 randomdude420, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
    [quote name='"Tihspeed"']

Their pretty nice and run fairly cool....I just didn't want you to think it was really 240 watts.... Don't forget there are 3 fans that share the wattage consumption....and with growing watts are watts....the more the better

That being said, even with the wattage lies the black star led is hard to pass up for the price... The next best led manufacture I would recommend is easily over double the cost of two bs240 watt lights..... And the bs light preformed almost as good.... Maybe 70-80% of its competition.... Not too bad for the sticker price

So feel free to purchase just know the limitations of led and more specifically of all things black star wattage lies

Keep us posted and start a journal[/quote]

Yeah I understand what you're saying a lot of people think they are buying 240w when they buy the 240w blackstar. I will most likely go with 2 of these lights and some CFLs but won't be starting until after I get back from vacation July 4th.

I will definetly start up a journal when I do start it I'm waiting on my beans and deciding what to do with for a grow space. I have one Micro Grow under my belt plus half a closet grow haha.

I'm waiting for these in the mail:
    5 fem. green house Super Lemon Haze
    5 fem. G13 Labs White Widow
    1 fem. G13 OG13
    1 fem. World of Seeds Legend Collection Mazar Kush
    1 fem. Barneys Farm Critical Kush
    And 3 fem. G13 Labs White Widow

And I have 1 LowRyder 2 fem seed and 1 Humboldt seed

I think I'm going to mount a 240w blackstar for side lighting and one for the top of the plants.
    I think i want to start a LR2 and then half way through start a photoperiod

8. Pm me with the journal....I want to sub....I have two grows with that light....mine was used in a very small space

Keep me updated, I'm interested

9. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']Pm me with the journal....I want to sub....I have two grows with that light....mine was used in a very small space

Keep me updated, I'm interested[/quote]

Will do in July when everything's ready. How small we're your grows? And thanks for your interest. Do you think my idea of an LED on the side and top is good? I'm thinking this because I hear penetrations not the best. I used two 50w blackstar LEDs in my microgrow but that's only like 50w of LEd if I'm lucky haha. Didn't know this at the time but my plant did grow I feel like it grew better under that than it did under 126w of CFL afterwards.. Micro is not for me I barely yielded anything..

I'm just trying to get 2 oz if I could get 4 I'd be the happiest guy in the world lol

10. [quote name='"randomdude420"']

Will do in July when everything's ready. How small we're your grows? And thanks for your interest. Do you think my idea of an LED on the side and top is good? I'm thinking this because I hear penetrations not the best. I used two 50w blackstar LEDs in my microgrow but that's only like 50w of LEd if I'm lucky haha. Didn't know this at the time but my plant did grow I feel like it grew better under that than it did under 126w of CFL afterwards.. Micro is not for me I barely yielded anything..

I'm just trying to get 2 oz if I could get 4 I'd be the happiest guy in the world lol[/quote]

I grew a a dr40... 1x1x3....it does ok,I pulled early because my water causes issues in a hydro setup....I got an oz

The other time I used it for a challenge and got 10 grams, but the challenge was using a pot the size of a Dixie cup.....harder than you might think

I bet with 2 bs240's you'll land just shy of 4..... Just pick the heaviest yielding strain

11. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']

I grew a a dr40... 1x1x3....it does ok,I pulled early because my water causes issues in a hydro setup....I got an oz

The other time I used it for a challenge and got 10 grams, but the challenge was using a pot the size of a Dixie cup.....harder than you might think

I bet with 2 bs240's you'll land just shy of 4..... Just pick the heaviest yielding strain[/quote]

I would've been happy with an oz in my first grow.. I really enjoy growing even maybe just as much as I enjoy smoking lol. I think I'm just gonna go with a 500w BS. Take a look at my blueprints I drew up.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...0w-blackstar-grow-cab-blueprints-picture.html

12. I would say 2.5' x 2.5' is about max footprint for a LED of that size/power. You have to keep the light fairly close to be efficient and effective. I keep mine at 18" above the tops for veg, and 12" during flower.

That said, pot size in that size environment is determined by how many plants you intend to grow. Maybe 2 plants?

13. My first successful grow was 3 bag seed plants vegged under 300w of cfl and flowered under my blackstar 240. Ended up with not quite 3.5 oz's. Bottom stuff was fluffy. But i was satisfied for a first harvest. My tent was 31"x31" and it damn near covered every inch.

14. Edited original post with new link...

15. Look up pro-grow and dorm grow also. They are good units for the money. And the dorm grow has a great flowering power with those 740nm 660nm LEDs which are great for flowering. We use those at my work and they do a great job for flowering. And the got 440nm which is great for veg. The 450 is 600 and actual wattage is 360 which is great for the price.

16. Excellent advice from Tihspeed, been doing a ton of LED research and what he told you is legit. KG