240v to 120v adapter

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cen_Cal_Care, Dec 20, 2014.

1. hey GC I have a couple Lumatek ballasts I bought off a friend they are 750w hps 240v only. My question is are there any adapters I can buy to plug it into a regular 120v outlet?

1419033982628.jpg

this one isnt for a 240 but something like it would be helpful thanks for reading any any help is appreciated.

2. There are 240 volt to 120 volt adapters. I had one for a converter at an rv campsite to watch TV. You need a was in machine dryer plug in

3. I cant understand the last sentence you typed :( I searched home depot and couldnt find one

4. Ive never seen a 240 to 120 adapter but i have seen digital ballasts that support either cords.

5. i guess i screwed myself over cause its 240 only

6. run the adapter or hook up to a dryer circuit. with 240volt u only draw 4.3 - 4.7 amp loads. on 110volt you draw 9.1amp loads. so you can wire to dryer circuit run 10 240 volt 1000 watt ballasts and still not "pop" the circuit. most dryers are 50 amp circuits. no you wont save money on electricity, just like you dont save money running digital ballasts over conventional cap and coil ballasts. efficient doesnt save money on power draw, its just easier on the device.

7. thank you that makes alot of sense only problem now is that I have 4 of these ballasts and most garages only have one 240v outlet

8. wire a junction box. only put a flip switch in it. run your lights on only when you arent using the dryer. never run both, hence the flip switch

9. If you are still questioning how to do this you could always run a dedicated circuit to a sub box in your grow room and then have 240v breakers in the sub box for each set of lights. This by far is the safest way as each set of lights is protected by the breakers in the sub box. 

10. #12 CanadianOrganic, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
    I wish they had ones that plugged into 240V dryer plugs haha

11. Do you own the house? Why not run a sub panel like i did?

12. hey guys sry for tye late replies been in the hospital since the 31st with my daughter.
    anyways I do not own the house and am getting ready to move into a new place searching for a home with a decent sized basement is gonna take a while lol

13. Damn bro, sorry to hear about your daughter.

I just said a little prayer my man.
    ~ poke

14. thank you poke we got out today just gotta keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesnt get sick again.ima stop by your thread and see if i can catch up lol

15. No need to catch up brother, the last 3-4 pages have all the pertinent updates n pics n vids :)

Keep an eye on that baby man, i think about youg uys all the time, especially when i dont hear fom you

16. bro I dont know how you keep up with youre own thread... wish I had time to check up on things daily but right now its just impossible. Are you gonna go to hempcon in SJ?

17. They don't make them for any home plug in, maybe for rv's etc but you can't run something meant for 240 on 120 and vice versa. At my job people ask me this once or more a week. Set up a breaker for 240 if you need 240 but they don't make an adapter.

18. Hope everything goes well with your daughter btw.