24 hour light or 18/6

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by danoc87, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I've read of both recommendations. Is it better to use 24 hour lights on or 18 on and 6 off?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. 24 unless ur worried about power consumption

3. Agreed. MJ does not require a dark cycle. Might as well give it all the light you can.

That being said... 24/0, 20/4 and 18/6 are all accepted light cycles. It really comes down to personal preference.

Good luck.

4. I did 24/0 for my first grow. So far it doenst seem upset at all or anything, my girl has just grown and grown. Im using cfls though so i feel like 24 hours is needed to make up for the lack of light.

Future grows im going to be using hps and ill probably do 20/4 or 18/6 just to save energy and to see if theres a difference

5. There are advocates of both. Both sides have some scientific evidence supporting their view. It's an ongoing debate and won't get settled here.

Both work well for veg, the debate really is over which, if either, is a little better. As others have said, it comes down to a personal choice -- whichever approach you think is "right" or "more natural" or "more productive".

There can be practical/logistical reasons to choose 18/6 that have nothing to do with what you think is better for plant growth. If your grow space is subject to swings in ambient temps (for example my grow op is in my garage, where it gets warm and cold with the outside weather), then you may want to do 18/6 in order to have the lights out during the warmest part of your day, so as to not be adding heat at that time.

6. I use HO t5 fluoro's for vegging, and my first grow I did 24/0 and now I'm doing18/6. the only difference I've found is that under 24/0 they won't show preflowers. I read that, and also have experience with it. I read somewhere that the dark cycle helps the roots grow, but that might just be a bunch of bull, not really sure. But honestly, those babies grew quick under 24/0.

my 2 cents...