24 hour dark period before harvest?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sokewl420, Jul 22, 2011.

1. I've heard from a couple of people that a 24 hour dark period before harvest will
    Increase resin and make the smell even stronger ? Any one know anything about this ? True or false?

2. True. 48-72 hours is generally preferred over only 24 though. You will notice the difference.

3. i do 36 hrs.

4. I was going to do a 5 day period, as I read about that this effect in High Times and that's what it suggested. I was steered away by a different forums member when the issue came up whom seemed well-informed on the matter, and he talked me out of it. The biggest reason I decided not to is because if you look around for any legitimate article referring to this, the best thing you're going to get is, "Might produce more THC," which is rather unhelpful, in my eyes.

However if you do choose to do this, know that the idea behind it is to create a false winter, causing your plant to go into a sensimilla overdrive which in turn causes resin production to excel. I've also heard you are supposed to add ice and let it melt, and try to lower the ambient temperature if possible to represent the coming of the season. This is somewhat illogical, however, as the soil should supposedly be very dry when you harvest, which would be hard to do when the plant is sitting in the dark.

But you know, it may work well, and it may not. We'll just have to see, eh?

5. by harvest time, your plants should have "plenty" of trichomes already.

6. Just cut them down. No one can give you any real science to back up this theory. I cut them down before the lights come on again.

7. my plants get plenty of darkness when the are hanging :smoke:

8. Mine get plenty of darkness in dry as well, plus I cure for 2-3 weeks. I find the long cure rocks up the thc levels, but if youve harvesting at the right time your product is going to be great anyway.

9. Awesome guys thanks for all the info everyone's been super helpful here on GC