24" deep closet - too small for anything?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gorillathunder, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hi, quick question - I measured my closet today and it is only 24". That wouldn't even fit a HTG small tent. I really like the idea of a tent because of some of the rubbermaid setups i've seen - I don't want to try and build a giant disaster or hassle - Anyway... no go on a tent? Is there something similiar?

2. What are other dimensions of your closet? Width and height?

3. and can this closet be vented?

4. well the other dimensions are about 92x92" or about 7.5 ft x 7.5ft -

5. well, the doors are the funny fold out on both sides - they have gaps on every side - as far as venting... I have a pretty airtight bedroom with a window

6. so it's 92" X 92" X 24" with byfold doors Hell yeah you can grow in it.LOL I'm running a 400 watt HPs in a 48" X 24" X 78" tall. as long as you can control the heat you can do good in that space. what kind of light are you going to use? If the tent will fit it should work.

7. http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...up-microgrow-build.html?highlight=loki+s+4+up

Check out how Loki7 built, I am not saying go all out and automated, but referring to how he built in a grow op with insulating board, and the right kind of tape, would work perfect for you, and also will keep the light from coming through the doors, and you can paint it or cover with something black so the color wont show through the doors either. With those dimensions, I say you could get a pretty decent grow, either hydro or the many kinds, or soil would fit well.

8. lol... I was just thinking that's the same as my closet...

-Loki

9. Yeah I'm kindof disappointed that the tent won't fit - they are 30" ...

10. #10 beachbum616, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
    you dont need the tent. the tent will provide 3 things for you

1) structure- a place to grow

2) a light sealable environment- you must have a dark place with no light leaks

3) easy ventilation- the ports allow airflow which is very important

well, with the closet you already have structure.. so you dont need the first attribute
    now you just have to modify it to make #2 and #3 vibe for you

#2) is easy, i used a heavy duty tarp. for 11 bucks at home depot you can get a 8x10 heavy duty light proof tarp. these are brown on one side and silver on the other.. simply hang this from the ceiling directly infront of the tent and this will give you a lightproof room during the dark cycle

#3) is even easier, all you need to do is cut 2 4 or 6 inch circular holes in the room for your ventilation fan. one of these will be your passive intake and the other you can mount either a duct booster fan if you're using fluro lighting the closet or ducting for an inline fan if you're using an HPS with a coolable hood.

total cost = 11bucks + fans and lighting
    ALOT cheaper than a standalone tent.

i have done this in the past and it worked great.

if the wall around the closet is simple drywall, you can EASILY patch these holes with drywall squares when its time to move out.. google search for info on how to do this for less than 20 bucks.

if you're using a booster fan, be sure to use some type light trap to maintain a lightproof environment. you can either make something outta cardboard if you're crafty like me or buy a 90 degree metal hvac elbow.

good luck and have fun, once you do this one time you will be able to make a grow room out of any small space in about 15 minutes from now on.

the only curse to learning this is once you know how to do this, in your mind, you size up almost every location you come across in the future and mentally determine what you need to do to turn it into a grow space.

11. Hey thanks beachbum! This was def something I needed to read - there can seem to be a lot of uncertainty but you really spelled it out for me! Thanks man - I'm gonna work on getting those 3 things

12. #12 dsmreaper, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010

If your suggesting a passive intake, I would use a fan that has more power than just a "booster" type fan. I do not use a passive, as I heard forced intakes help the air circulate and further help to keep air from stagnating. I heard booster fans do not pull a whole lot of air as their design prevents this(most have huge gap between the blade tips, and the body). Save your self the headaches and get an actual inline fan, it will also insure that since you might cool your light with it, and more importantly, scrub the air of odors, it will keep a high enough negative pressure so that no odor exits the passive intake.

and as for the last sentence that I made bold, I COMPLETELY AGREE, LOL, Any where I go, I size rooms up, even at friends houses and such. Gladly most friends are not irritated about it though, they usually seem interested. Also, any time I see a decent sized piece of furniture or cabinetry, I peek inside to see what it could be made into.

13. there is no doubt an inline fan/filter combo is the way to go..
    but if you are on a low budget, or just trying to get started and plan to add the big fan later a booster fan will most certainly make due.

the average 6" booster will move 160cfm, based on the dimensions you gave (7.5x7.5x2) = 112.5 cubic feet, the booster will exchange air, even with only a passive intake better than 1 time per minute. this is more than enough

if you are using a low heat light source ( i used a 6 lamp t5ho, 30K lumens) there will be no heat buildup at all.. just be sure to distance your vents apart from one another, like 1 high, 1 low and at opposite ends. this will provide the air circulation you need, it would also be good to add a circulating air fan in the closet to further distrupt the air, this will also make your branches stronger.

this will definetly get you started, you can opt to add an inline fan/filter later when you begin budding to cleanse the air of stank, or if u use a hot light(hps,mh)

14. i have about the same closet. I use it strictly for my mothers and veg for my clones with cfls and shop flou. use a 8
    x8 room for flowering under 2 400w hps
    my constant grow