24/7 light bad?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mike_ock, Mar 15, 2007.

1. i see alot of people do this and i am wondering if it is a good idea or not. i dont think it is because the plant needs to go through osmosis and it usually does this at night or during the dark period. is this right or am i wrong?

2. There's debate on that, some on each side of the fence. Most growers, though, agree with your line of thinking -- 18/6 is better to give the plants a rest and save on the power bill.

3. I have tried both...24/7 and 18/6 and I had much better results under 18/6. Thats just me though!?!?!

4. ok thanx man i saw them right after i put this up. but i also saw that they say to use 24/7 when its a seedling for a week is this a good idea or no?

5. There really isn't a debate, the fact are simple and irefutable, continious light during veg will increase overall growth by 30% over 18/6. As for the needing sleep theory, how do you suppose things grow up north in the land of the midnight sun?

6. this might be true but does it make the plant as healthy? size is important but isnt health also? whats the point of a big dead plant? just wondering i know it has worked before. but do you think it is better for the seedling to be under 24/7 for the first week or two?

7. yeah man perfectly fine for your plant chimera is right..........

it's a very light loving plant and the more light you give the better.... It does not need a dark period during veg growth it will only slow down growth. Go look at my journals and you tell me if you think my plants are healthy

8. ive been growing under 24/0 fluros for about the past 2.5 weeks.

growth has been great and pretty damn compact for fluros (i keep them about 3 inche's away and haven't any adverse affects.

i have changed to 22/2 starting yesterday because i plan on flowering in 2 more weeks, maybe less, and if i go straight form 24/0 to 12/12 it can take longer for them to start to flower.

my plan is at the begining of next week to go to 20/4. 5 days later go to 18/6 and keep that until i flower.

how does this sound chimera?

9. ok ganjagod your grow convinced me it cant be so bad for them. your plants look very healthy. but i am wondering form what supersativa said that if i decide to go 24/7 for the first week or two if i should gradually bring the time to 18/6 or just switch it right over?

10. Cannabis is classified as a C3 plant. Meaning it does not need a dark cycle for photosynthesis. Giving them a dark cycle during vegetation is not "healthier" and does nothing except slow down the growth. ;)

11. fence, from what i've seen here 24/7 light cycles seem to make flowering come on later than if you were to start from 18/6 once you switch to a 12/12 lighting schedule.

is this incorrect?

12. couldn't you just give it 24-36 hrs of darkness b4 you go to 12/12?

13. SS, don't know enough to answer that definitively, but health wise there is no down side.

I have found that I get fewer preflowers going 24/0, so I could see where logically, your experience may be dead on.

14. has any one tried the 24-36 hours of darkness? i was reading some grow logs and i noticed that when done on 24 hours it takes longer during flowering to find the females.

15. i don't want to leave my babies in the dark that long :hs: i've heard mixed reviews about that technique.

16. 22/2 here... just in case they do need a short nap :D ..... Also those two hours are hottest part of the day here....

Might try 24 next batch.... :rolleyes:

17. I agree, the switch to 12/12 is enough stress!

I'm not sure where you seen that, my last grow began preflower in veg after just 24 days! I would say if anything the switch would speed the change over from veg to flower.

18. thx for the relpy :) this is my first grow but i believe i started off better than most. im actually growing with MG soil though, lol. haveing fantastic results though and 2 of my plants are showing a nice deep purple and im praying that at least one is a female so i can clone. VERY compact growth with what i suspect is a full indica strain (came from back seed).

19. You are supposed to put seedlings under 24 hours of light for the first week or so.

But doesn't the plant need darkness to go through photosynthesis? I'd think it would.
    If the above is true, I'd say 18/6 would be best for a healthy growing plant.

20. 24/0 is just a waist of electricty! They grow the same blah blah blah. In fact I have 2 on 24/0 simply because I dont have 2 timers and my other ones are on 18/6 and they are much bushier and a lil taller on the 18/6.

As for the sexing thing. Chimra is right that doesnt matter. 24/0 isnt bad in any way I just think that its a waist when Im getting better and bigger plants with less light.