24/0 Or 18/6?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by OnTheOtherSide, Sep 11, 2014.

1. So I'm going on week 5 in Veg. And I want my plant to shoot up. It's been pretty steady in growth but I feel like it should be faster
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410405716.077350.jpg

And also should I start pinching or FIM.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. I would start FIM. What kind of setup do you have? if raise the light a bit it will get taller.

3. 😳 ohhhhh. I was thinking that lol. But for some reason I was thinking it wouldn't get the same amount of light.
    But right now the light is about 6 inches away. Do you think the light schedule will affect it? I figured the more hours of light more growth, but I'm not sure if it stretches during rest

4. If you want faster growth go hydroponic. Dont think going 24 will make a noticeable difference. Nutes or fertilizer should help.

5. Go 24/0. Plants do not need a rest period. There have been studies to tell the difference. I think 24/0 grows something like 20% faster than 18/6. Don't raise the light. I assume since it is 6 inches away you are using cfl? Cfl should not be more than 6-8 away from plant as the light does not travel very far. My cfls are 1-2 inches away. Only raise them of you want your plant to stretch and be skinny. Keep it close to make tight node spacing and have a nice bushy plant. I would also top it.

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos

6. This is 3 weeks from seed. All cfl 1-4 inches away. I just topped it.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410436505.439268.jpg

7. My man, thanks for your reply, and yes I have them on 4 CFL's 24/0 *Smoking*... And I topped her off last night and tied her down a bit to stretch those branches. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410442933.317877.jpg

And this is my current setup and distance:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410442990.652129.jpg

8. And btw Banjo, I'm assuming yours is a clone since it's so mature for it's size. I want mine to get husky

9. The question is would you prefer to pay for electricity for 24 hours a day or just 18 hours day?

10. Yeah man it's looking good! It probably wouldn't hurt to lower the one right on top another 2 or 3 inches but that could just be the angle of the pic. Ideally you want it as close as you can get it without it being to to hot. Cfls put out almost no heat tho as long as the leaves don't touch the bulb it should be good. Look how close mine are.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410443462.432716.jpg

11. You'll get 33% faster growth and pay the same in the long run if you run your lights 24/0.

12. this man speaks the truth, its almost impossible to burn a plant with a cfl.

13. 18/6

source?

14. <blockquote class="">By Ed Rosenthal - Thursday, October 23 2003 </blockquote>\t Do plants need a dark period during the vegetative cycle?
    \tDoes marijuana require a dark period during the vegetative growth stage? I recently read a grow book that advocated an 18-6 light cycle during the early growth stages. PSD 420, Internet - One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light. 
    \tThe plant's photosynthetic rate determines its growth rate because the sugars are used by the plant to build tissue and for energy. Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime.

15. Taken from; "Grow Great Marijuana:An Uncomplicated Guide to Growing the World's Finest Cannabis" by Logan Edwards. 
    Can I leave the lights on all the time? 

Cannabis plants grow without hassle under twenty-four hours of continuous light. There has been no controlled recordings of increased hermaphrodites or other problems, so most growers now use the full 24/0 cycle. 18/6 does have an advantage in that it allows the equipment and room to cool down. Those six hours of darkness can be timed to happen during the hottest part of the day, providing some relief for growers in hot climates.

16. the electricty from running a few cfl bulbs for 24/0 will be negligible I'd run them always during veg.

17. dont get me wrong.. there are benefits to 18/6 like cooling the room down and the plants maturing to show preflowers faster... but if you are growing in a perpetual or are trying to get shit done i wouldn't see the use of 18/6. 

if you have a source that says plants in 18/6 produce more in the long run or flower and finish faster than plants under 24/0 then i'm all ears :)

18. 18/6....plants need a rest period and do most of their growing at night. I may just be stubborn in my ways but when I was shown how to grow, 24/0 was a big no no.

Besides that, I've always read that plants max out at 18 hours unless your using CO2 to help take in the extra light storage.

How about just upping your wattage?

"It ain't going to grow itself"

19. #19 AugustWest, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014

a 10 week strain will finish in 10 weeks regardless of your light cycle in veg.

i've run both over the years and can't say that it was a 33% difference in growth at all.

have you personally noticed a 33% difference in growth rates yourself?

20. i did in clones i took. they grew much much faster in 24/0. that i cannot say about seeds. dont think the op has a clone tho.. oops. :(

your sig is hillarious august lol