24/0 lighting and sexual maturity in veg

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by twalte, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Hello,
    Long time lurker but first time poster.

I've read that 24/0 lighting will result in faster growth than 18/6 lighting. Will a plant under 24/0 lighting reach sexual maturity sooner than a plant under 18/6, or would both plants need the same amount of time for alternating branches to appear?

Net, if I don't like to flip until my plants are sexually mature, can I flip sooner by using 24/0 veg??

Thanks for reading and any input you may have.

2. They will grow faster under 24/0 plants usually show sexual maturity around week 5-6 in veg(you can find pistils). Not sure what you mean by flipping 24/0 to show sex just wait 5-6 and it should pop pistils or balls. If it hasn't you must use 12/12 to show signs.

3. I never ran 24/0 on my plants. i feel as if they need a slight rest period and many many other people do too. i read somewhere that 24/0 actually creates more stress for the plant bc there is no rest period causing it to grow slightly slower. i always ran 18/6 in Veg stage and seem to do very well

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you for the replies to my question. I have always run 18/6 in veg. This time I experimented with 24/0 lighting and I noticed considerably more growth than any of my past grows. Now I'm simply trying to determine if they will mature faster due to receiving 33 percent more light (24/0 vs. 18/6) or if I'm going to have to run the normal 5-6 weeks regardless of the amount of light that I give them.

I don't flip my plants until I see alternating branches which indicates sexual maturity. I run female seeds, so I'm not worried about sexing the plants.

So let me rephrase the question: If it takes 5-6 weeks for a plant to become sexually mature under 18/6 lighting, will it take less time under 24/0 lighting? (By sexually mature, I'm referring to the alternating branches)

Thanks

5. Awesome!! I was gonna ask if you have done any experiment with the light and that is very interesting, might have to try one under 24/0 myself. I feel like that might speed up the maturity but im not sure. let it grow and keep notice of it than let me know lol kinda curious as well.

6. #6 Litthefrog, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    I used a 20/4 this last time as opposed to 18/6 and they have all popped pre flowers at week 3, I'm in week 4 and theyre starting to show sex. For me, it's made sex show sooner and I noticed an increase in growth as well. But I still recommend a rest period, I think the increase in light by 2 hours was just enough to boost but not too much to over work them. (this was week 3)
    IMG_1349.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 twalte, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    IMG_0743.JPG
    Yes, I noticed considerably more growth under 24/0. My girls are in week three of veg (day 27 since sprouting) and have already reached 15 inches in height. I've recently switched them back to 18/6 to try to slow them down a little. I would like to veg for 6 weeks but I'm concerned they will be too large by then at this growth rate....hence the question on maturing faster.

Notes: These are photoperiod plants....Girl Scout Cookie, 2 Humboldt Blue Dream, 1 Incredible Bulk. In 7 gallon containers and being fed Botanicare Kind nutes with every feeding.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2