24/0 for Veg

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Roshi86, Jun 30, 2011.

1. What happens if you do 24/0 for weeks straight.

2. The plants don't flower unless they're autos.

3. i haven't noticed any increase in growth compared to 18/6 or 20/4 lighting. i think its a waste of energy and a good way to stress the plants out and get hermies. just my opinion though everyone has different results.

4. #4 Jellyman, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    Since roots grow fastest at night, having no dark period keeps root growth and pot size down.

It can also keep the plants shorter, so they may not seem to grow as much as plants with a dark period.

5. Not sure if i believe that roots grow fastest at night. Otherwise I would just clone all my cuttings with no light. Im not debunking your theory,I would just like better evidence.

6. I would like to know more about this well thought out theory. Or are you just making stuff up?

7. #7 Panda85, Jun 30, 2011

i have heard from multiple sources.. length of day,type of light , humidity, temperatures, over/under nuting all can change the chances of getting male plants or hermies even from feminized seeds.

here is a link a simple search pulled up from others that have found same results.

8. You can clone in the dark. I need to try and find a thread I read about it, some guy had a perpetual grow and he cloned in a closet without light until they had roots. At least that's how I remember it. It could have just been seedlings.

9. I've always done 24/0 for veg.

It works fine. I haven't tried 18/6 yet since my timer is used in my flowering room, so I can't say which is better.

Then I just switch it to 12/12 and watch the buds come :D

Although, I do want to know if that root theory is true. Come to think of it, my smallest plant I just harvested had big ass roots and looked to be rootbound, while I have others 5 times it's size in the same type of pot growing rapidly. They have been 24/0 while the other was on 12/12 for 2 months (about).

10. Actually it's true, plants build their energy mostly while light is present making sugars, it is when the light is off that the stored energy is released and turned into plant growth. Where in the world would you find a 24 hour light cycle? try putting yourself through a 24 hour light cycle and see how you feel. Plants are living organisms as ourselves, and require a natural rest period to be most efficient and healthy. No need to quote myself with resources...google 24 hour light cycle effect on roots

sure you wont read it but if you really wanna know read this article through and through for a proper understanding of roots in general
    http://www.plantroot.org/PDFarchive/2011/5_17.pdf

Stick to what mother nature does best, both we and the plants are on this earth because of a light dark cycle...why mess with something that took billions of years to perfect??

11. Actually it's not. ;)

Cannabis is a C3 plant, no need for a dark cycle at all for photosynthesis. Basic botany, folks.
    People always trying to use the "we need sleep so my plants must too" and that is just anthropomorphising and not reality.

Want to save on electricity, or help with heat issues? Dark cycle will do that. Want your plant to grow as quickly and compactly as possible? 24/0 light cycle.

12. #12 Rumpleforeskin, Jun 30, 2011
    So your plants won't grow if you veg using a 24/0 light cycle?

The "Mother Nature argument"..... So DWC and most forms of hydroponic growing that can't be found in nature are useless?

I need a vacation and a new snowboard. Does sex make the plant better as well, I know it is very healthy for people?

I am very glad to get your information, I don't know how I have been growing weed all these years.

Djdyldoes, lets see some of your harvest pictures.

13. #13 pyronym, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I'm pretty sure they have 24 hour a day light several months out of the year above a certain lattitude? Alaska for example

14. I am going to go home tonight and ejaculate all over my plants I hope I don't knock them up or give them the clap.

15. This thread turned stupid.

16. ive noticed more root growth with the 24/0 light method actually compared to an 18/6 lighting pattern. with bigger roots you should see more rapid foliage growth. the only times i use 24/0 lighting is with clones and seedlings.

i have tried 24/0 durring veg growth and didnt see any differance(foliage wise) compared to the usual 18/6. using same strain and same light etc.. so its all about preference i assume.

i would say that using 24/0 lighting probably stresses the plant out due to constantly using photosynthesis and not having rest, even though it doesnt need it. you would also be giving the plant more heat than having a dark cycle. From a few things ive read, they say that lowering the temps by a few degrees F for a few hours(dark cycle) actually stimulates more growth. i kind of think of the whole over watering thing the same way, plants need nutrients so you should give them some, but too much is harmful. plants need light but if it never has to stretch to find light, wouldn't that lower the growth of the plant?

I always grow from clones though that are known females, and personally dont mess around with seeds too often. i have never had a male or hermaphrodite since i try to mimic mother nature as close as possible. im sure it all is dependent on strain also. ex. growing an equatorial grown strain in colder climates or mild climate plant and using 24hr lighting(higher temps). some strains handle stress very well and others don't.

with studies showing that the ratio of hermies and males increase when using stressful environments(during certain stages of veg growth), i believe it, its never led me wrong.. but to each their own.. some people swear by 24/0 lighting others say its a waste or more harmful than anything. either way im sure everyone grows dank ass buds or you wouldn't do what you do =]

17. no kidding, it turned stupid, because all you ever get is peoples opinions never followed by fact, the fact is you CAN grow weed either way...most commercial growers only do a 24 light cycle to keep plants and roots compact so they can in turn have more plants in a smaller area..once you switch the light it then releases all the stored energy to the plant, typically doubling in size. BUT you have to keep in mind that a plant photosynthesizes at night as well, and when you remove the light you lower the temperature, decreasing stem elongation and promoting more root growth (ask yourself why you don't use see through containers...roots dont like heat or light) A dark period gives the plant a chance to grow, extend roots..therefore canopy growth as well and rest. Do what you feel is right for yourself, i have grown successfully both ways and outdoors, and can tell you in my honest opinion that all you will be doing is adding heat, which in turns mean adding exhaust...and adding 6 hours a day on your electricity bill to power both for results that tend to be little to no different.
    and pyronym..try to go sucessfully grow weed outdoors in alaska during a 24 light cycle properly and get back to us k..love to know how it went!

interesting article:
    BC's million dollar grow shows | Cannabis Culture Magazine

18. I'm not saying that its an ideal condition I was just answering the question of where in the world you can find sunlight 24/7. My plants seemed to grow better under 18/6 than 24/0

19. Without light, clones would not have energy to grow roots at night. All rooting clones should have a dark period, though, because it helps root growth.