21 Grams

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by pavlakos, Jul 2, 2008.

1. So, that movie that came out in 2003, did it actually prove that we have souls? Or at least give a strong indication? Or did that just happen in the movie, and not real life?

I havent seen the movie yet, but seems interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_Grams

2. From rationallyspeaking blog.

By Massimo Pigliucci, professor of Ecology & Evolution in addition to doctorates in Genetics, Botany and Philosophy. With such credentials, I think he'd be better at explaining this than me :)

Amazing what one can find by using Google, heh? :p

3. The soul keeps getting redefined, so I have no idea what you are talking about. People once said the soul was the person, but severe brain trauma seems to discount that. So, perhaps, once you define the soul, I will be able to answer your question?

4. well, if the soul must be defined id say its the onsiousness, but looks like Zylark cleared it up anyway. I cant imagine that consiousness can be measured....

5. Sure it can, it does exist in the psychical world. As such, it can be quantified. :)

6. but....in weight?

7. Certainly, your brain does indeed weigh something, as does every molecule in it. If you burn a log, it still has the same mass. Some of it might be smoke, some of it ash, some of it escaped as heat. It was not destroyed. That does not mean, nor imply, it is intact, of course.

8. hhmmm...interesting

9. The weight of my conciousness will CRUSH YOU ALL!

10. I like how the homo erectus came before Adam and Eve(homo sapiens).

11. why exactly do you like that?

12. Why yes. It was a bit non-explanatory. Some divulgence would be appreciated. Besides the fact that there was no Adam and Eve ofcourse, but I think Antacids just used that as a metaphore for (the emergence of) Homo Sapiens.

13. i got that, its pertinence to the thread or even a previous comment is what i fail to see....

14. You and me both :)

15. why dont we just try it again today

despite the whole probable murder aspect....

16. this one too? whats with the random posts? or am i just that high?

oh....the movie i guess...i havent seen it yet.