Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

21 Day Tolerance Break = Pure Misery

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by surfajl77, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Today is Day 8 for me. Man, I knew going on a tolerance break was going to be rough, but I wish I would have better prepared. I’ve been a nightly smoker for the last couple of years (anywhere from .75g to 1.25g in one session). Sometimes I’ll top it off with a few vape hits before turning in for the night, which I’ve joked is my “security blanket” to ensure that I always fall asleep. Sometimes I’ll throw in an edible on the weekends, so once the smoke high wears off, the edible high then kicks in. I feel that it really helps me calm down at night so I can rest after a long day. Plus, as a former cigarette and cigar smoker, going outside at night and puffing on a joint for 20-30 minutes fulfills that hand-to-mouth oral fixation that I’ve always missed since quitting tobacco. In other words, not only do feel that weed calms me down, but I enjoy the act of smoking itself. It’s my nightcap.

Of course, over time, I started experimenting with more potent strains, which I’m sure didn't do my tolerance any favors. Even though I could still easily get a buzz off of a single joint of even some budget-level shake from the dispensary, I felt that the effects weren’t as intense as they once were. I decided to take a 21-day tolerance break and am currently on Day 8.

I’ve attempted tolerance breaks before, but never more than just a few days. Last year, I took a break from smoking for one week, but continued to pop a low dose edible, hoping that I could “cheat” the system by reducing my tolerance, while avoiding the withdrawals. Sadly, it didn’t really work as well as I had hoped, although it did help somewhat. This time…it’s a full 21-days of absolutely nothing. I stopped cold turkey.

I guess since I'm primarily a nightly smoker, I don't really struggle during the day. I don't experience "cravings" like I did after quitting tobacco/nicotine. My main issues are with sleep. While I do eventually fall asleep around 11pm or so (with the help of Tylenol PM or a little Melatonin and a good book), I will inevitably wake up between 2-3am, sweaty, agitated, and unable to get back to sleep until I eventually have to get up for work at 5am. I get up at 5am every day regardless, due to my past insomnia issues. However, even if I’m attempting to work myself into exhaustion, it doesn’t really help. I wish I would have stashed away some legitimate sleeping medication to help get me through these 21 days.

In addition to the sleep difficulties, which I understand are very common , there are also some strange side effects I’ve noticed. Constipation is probably the biggest one. Bowel movements are very rare and very minimal. I quit smoking cigarettes ten years ago and also experienced constipation, but that subsided after about 3 days. Unfortunately, with weed, I’m still experiencing constipation after a week, although I learned that taking a gentle laxative does help keep things moving somewhat, but definitely not what I would consider to be normal.

In some ways, I’m kind of ashamed, because it is showing me just how physically dependent I have become on weed in order to sleep. I don’t even want to imagine how much trouble I’d have if I ever left the country and was unable to obtain my favorite sleep aid.

But back to tolerance breaks. I’m curious from those who have more experience than I do:

Do you feel that withdrawals are reduced if you slowly wean yourself from THC by gradually reducing the potency of the strains you smoke (as well as the amount)? I think I recall someone saying once that people who can easily smoke a gram or two in one sitting…to suddenly STOP cold-turkey is going to be far tougher than someone that weans off of THC before stopping. Do you feel there is any truth to this?

I remember Snoop saying in an interview once that he quit smoking weed for a few months when he was doing some coaching and said he felt great...and I'm thinking: How are you not experiencing horrible side effects from the lack of THC in your system?

Also, for those seasoned smokers that I always hear about that claim they've smoked daily for 10-15-20-25 years...how in the hell is it that weed has any affect on you whatsoever if you've never taken a tolerance break?

I’m just trying to figure out how I should best approach this the next time I’m going to have to take a tolerance break, which I’m hoping won’t be for at least a year, but we’ll see how things develop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I empathize as someone who also struggles with even one week tolerance breaks. I try to give cannabis up every year for Lent. I'm not religious, it's just a good time and time frame for a break, but I never make it the whole time. I do find smoking some pure CBD with no THC helps with the craving to dab something without interfering with my break. I'm having trouble sleeping lately because of discontinuing a redundant psych med that I've taken for many years. Cannabis doesn't help with that, unfortunately. I plan on trying an OTC antihistamine tonight to see if it helps. If you can tough it out I think you'll be glad you did, good luck! I plan on trying another Lenten break this year after getting high Mardi Gras day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hmm...I suppose i could pick up a CBD cartridge on the way home from work. Perhaps several puffs on that will help me survive at night for the next 13 days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cheap beer and a herbal sleeping tablet ensures I sleep well during my holiday

better to manage your tolerance ..full stop
    stop toking for 2-3 days per week ...you will always be a weed virgin ..lol

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 BrassNwood, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    @surfajl77
    Today is Day 8 for me. Man, I knew going on a tolerance break was going to be rough, but I wish I would have better prepared. I’ve been a nightly smoker for the last couple of years (anywhere from .75g to 1.25g in one session). Sometimes I’ll top it off with a few vape hits before turning in for the night, which I’ve joked is my “security blanket” to ensure that I always fall asleep. Sometimes I’ll throw in an edible on the weekends, so once the smoke high wears off, the edible high then kicks in. I feel that it really helps me calm down at night so I can rest after a long day. Plus, as a former cigarette and cigar smoker, going outside at night and puffing on a joint for 20-30 minutes fulfills that hand-to-mouth oral fixation that I’ve always missed since quitting tobacco. In other words, not only do feel that weed calms me down, but I enjoy the act of smoking itself. It’s my nightcap.

Of course, over time, I started experimenting with more potent strains, which I’m sure didn't do my tolerance any favors. Even though I could still easily get a buzz off of a single joint of even some budget-level shake from the dispensary, I felt that the effects weren’t as intense as they once were. I decided to take a 21-day tolerance break and am currently on Day 8.

Lecithin enhanced Edibles hit with the same intensity day after day.

I’ve attempted tolerance breaks before, but never more than just a few days. Last year, I took a break from smoking for one week, but continued to pop a low dose edible, hoping that I could “cheat” the system by reducing my tolerance, while avoiding the withdrawals. Sadly, it didn’t really work as well as I had hoped, although it did help somewhat. This time…it’s a full 21-days of absolutely nothing. I stopped cold turkey.

My surgical adhesion pain takes no days off so I really can't either. What I make and take has to unfailing be strong and kick major ass.

I guess since I'm primarily a nightly smoker, I don't really struggle during the day. I don't experience "cravings" like I did after quitting tobacco/nicotine. My main issues are with sleep. While I do eventually fall asleep around 11pm or so (with the help of Tylenol PM or a little Melatonin and a good book), I will inevitably wake up between 2-3am, sweaty, agitated, and unable to get back to sleep until I eventually have to get up for work at 5am. I get up at 5am every day regardless, due to my past insomnia issues. However, even if I’m attempting to work myself into exhaustion, it doesn’t really help. I wish I would have stashed away some legitimate sleeping medication to help get me through these 21 days.

I've been a life long insomniac as was my mother (thanks mom) so I can well relate. I usually wake at anywhere between 02:00 and 04:00 and just get up as I know I'm done sleeping for the night.

THe Hash based oil I use for pain control has a wicked speedy edge to it and is best taken early in the day to give it time to wear down so it doesn't keep me awake half the night with my brain churning.

I could change the processing and make the oil more sleep inducing but where is the fun in that. :)

In addition to the sleep difficulties, which I understand are very common , there are also some strange side effects I’ve noticed. Constipation is probably the biggest one. Bowel movements are very rare and very minimal. I quit smoking cigarettes ten years ago and also experienced constipation, but that subsided after about 3 days. Unfortunately, with weed, I’m still experiencing constipation after a week, although I learned that taking a gentle laxative does help keep things moving somewhat, but definitely not what I would consider to be normal.

Coconut oil can be an excellent mild laxative. LouAna brand is odorless and tasteless and getting down a tablespoon of it isn't as bad as say mineral oil. Same Oil I use in my Capsule making.

In some ways, I’m kind of ashamed, because it is showing me just how physically dependent I have become on weed in order to sleep. I don’t even want to imagine how much trouble I’d have if I ever left the country and was unable to obtain my favorite sleep aid.

Hell even leaving the state can be trouble.

But back to tolerance breaks. I’m curious from those who have more experience than I do:

Do you feel that withdrawals are reduced if you slowly wean yourself from THC by gradually reducing the potency of the strains you smoke (as well as the amount)? I think I recall someone saying once that people who can easily smoke a gram or two in one sitting…to suddenly STOP cold-turkey is going to be far tougher than someone that weans off of THC before stopping. Do you feel there is any truth to this?

When I stop it is just out of the Blue and I'll cold Turkey just stop. Within 10 to 15 days my Adhesion pain comes roaring back in with a vengeance and I'll have to take double and triple daily doses to quiet the damn thing back down. Eventually I reach my saturation point and the Dragon puts his flame out and takes a nap.

I remember Snoop saying in an interview once that he quit smoking weed for a few months when he was doing some coaching and said he felt great...and I'm thinking: How are you not experiencing horrible side effects from the lack of THC in your system?

I've never had any of the self described so called "Withdrawal" symptoms. I'm just not high any longer.

Also, for those seasoned smokers that I always hear about that claim they've smoked daily for 10-15-20-25 years...how in the hell is it that weed has any affect on you whatsoever if you've never taken a tolerance break?

Growing most of my adult life I've always carried a smoke pack with 20 joints all rolled and ready to fire. As it was always my own good homegrown yes a full joint of it would still light me up after 40 years. A good solid Delta-9-THC high. Hits fast and gone just as fast.

I’m just trying to figure out how I should best approach this the next time I’m going to have to take a tolerance break, which I’m hoping won’t be for at least a year, but we’ll see how things develop.

2011 my Colon (large intestine) exploded and tried to kill me. 3 surgeries and 6 months later it all works more or less like it originally did and I only had the joy of a colostomy bag for 3 months.

Post surgical Adhesions something is stuck to somewhere it shouldn't be. This is most common and causes the most issues in open abdominal procedures where the normally slick surfaces of internal organs is disturbed.

It is a delayed pain striking 15 minutes to 2 hours after the triggering event. Sober most anything can set it off. Sneezing, Tying my shoes, Bending or squatting down to pickup dropped keys. It is enough to have me whimpering in pain and in public will draw unwanted attention as I drop to my knees clutching my belly.

Then while I'm laying there I have time to reflect on what I could have done in the last hour to have deserved such an exquisite serving of Pain. Ahhh I picked up that box and moved it 5 feet to another table and it pressed my belly while I did it. BINGO event identified.

It didn't take long to connect the dots and figure out that smoked Cannabis was doing a far better job of preventing an event at all then the Codeine was at covering up the pain post event. Even then a few tokes of the weed would open the clenched hand in my guts almost instantly and the pain was gone.

We'd moved to a very grow friendly City and I was already making and smoking Kief-Hash when I found BadKats Hash oil recipe and starting making and taking her Capsules for all day relief. In reflection I can only shake my head and think WTH why did we never try and get a handle on Edible Cannabis in all those years.

It was always way to strong and you'd be a 4 way hit of Acid high and swearing to never touch another weed brownie in your life. When you use 50% flour and 50% weed dust you only need a few fragments and even that is hold on to your hat time. It was 1977 and who knew shit about making edibles. Wasn't like you could ask the Librarian where the Cannabis section was.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    Kats. Recipe is on page one.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    My take on the same stuff.

This is Lecithin enhanced 11-Hydroxy-THC. Only created in your Liver this is the Magical Cannabinoid metabolite.
    Smaller then Delta-9-THC the parent molecule. 11-hydroxy-THC is more able to easily penetrate the blood brain barrier as well as being 5 times stronger and 10 times longer lasting. It has a much higher affinity for your receptors as well all of which help explain why this oil hits like a psychedelic sledgehammer day after day with no real fade.

I load and smoke a 1/2 gram of Kief-Hash at a time and get an hour or two from that bowl full. That morning Capsule contains 0.16666 grams of Hash and the effect lasts 6 hours or more.

Edible Cannabis is a cheat. There must be some huge hidden elephant sized gorilla on my back that I just haven't seen in the last 10 years of extremely high use waiting to hit me like a buss in the street at 60 mph.
    I'll just wake up dead. :)

I shouldn't be able to get and stay this consistently Stoned. The 150 mg I took this morning has brought up that familiar kaleidoscope shattered edge to my vision and the music is drilling holes in my brain again. Exactly the same as it did yesterday and the day before that and the day before...... See where I'm going with this?

Bud dust works nearly as well but the high isn't as clean and it is harder to fill capsules with. Same recipe with 4 or more additional heat and freeze cycles become progressively more sleep inducing. I don't care for it but I do make it on request for a family member and she claims it works like nothing else she can find. Knocks her out for a solid 6 hours and she wakes up fresh and ready to rock.

I spit on your tolerance break and offer you one of these. Well you better start with a quarter of one and see where you land.
    [​IMG]

Most find they can't take it every day and self skip every few days as it stacks up in your system and you find your lowering the dose or winding up way past your comfort zone. It is self regulating as even the most hardcore users find they have limits. You find your way out past the moon and it just takes way to long to get your feet back on the ground.

BNW

6. Whenever I bring up tolerances breaks, I always enjoy reading about people such as BrassnWood that clearly remind me that my 40% THC 1G joints or a 50mg edible (the max I've ever taken) is child's play in comparison to what some of you guys mess with. Well, I did drink a 100mg energy drink once, but that also had CBD in it and I wasn't really impressed. Hell, I'm surprised the moderators even allowed me to post this in the Seasoned Smokers section.

I'm 40 and I work long hours - and my responsibilities involve working with the special needs population (I'm a speech therapist). I have to be very, very careful with using edibles for sleep during the week, as there were a few instances where I woke up in the morning and you could still tell that I was visibly high. Since then, I've learned to be very, very careful. After a joint and conking out around 10-11pm, if I do wake up in the middle of the night, I might take a couple vape hits to ensure that I fall back asleep. But I will only do this if I have around 3 hours for the high to wear off before having to get up at 5am. Anything past 2am is too late for another hit based on my experience.

But the thing is, I'm happy just being able to smoke a joint and occasionally adding in an edible every now and then. I mean, when I felt like I wasn't getting the same intensity from my smoking sessions, I could have easily graduated to using bongs or something far more intense, but I'm not really interesting in that - at least not at this stage in my life. I just want to keep my tolerance at a level where smoking a single joint is adequate. But man, some of that stuff you're describing sounds like a lot of fun!

On a side note: I did swing by a shop and pick up a pure CBD cartridge. The guy I spoke with told me that when he takes t-breaks, he uses Delta8 or THC0 cartridges, which he claims still produce a sedative effect that helps him sleep, whereas CBD didn't really help him at all. Although I am still uncertain, I felt like THC0 or Delta8 wouldn't really be good for my tolerance break (almost seems like cheating) - so I insisted on just using a pure CBD cartridge. He warned me that it probably wouldn't help with my side effects, but at least it's... something, I guess.

• Like Like x 1