Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

20Yo College Kid With Migraines/anxiety/ocd

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by MrBugtti, May 20, 2014.

1. #1 MrBugtti, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Hi,

I am 20 years old in college with a microbiology major that wants to become a pediatrician who works with oncology patients.

I grew up with a rare blood disease and therefore was allowed to go to a cancer camp for 13 years. Cancer is not an issue with me.

I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines from my mother's side.
    My father is on methadone and norco as well as medical marijuana for back pain.
    I am constantly prescribed norco for teeth pain and sumatriptan for migraines

UNDIAGNOSED: I grew up never truly having a friend because I have moved around nearly every year since I was 3 and never stayed at the same school for more than a year so whenever I feel someone is trying to become good friends with me, I begin to have an anxiety attack because I feel that someone is trying to fuck with me and hurt me.

I have been told by every teacher in my high school and some in college that I might have ADD because I can't sit still for more than a minute but I do believe this is untrue. Yes I have tried adderall and vyvanse and yes these did help me study harder but these do not truly make me believe it helps me. I can't stay still because I believe I am uninterested in the subject the teacher is teaching us and I want to get outside. Although outside of the classroom, I do not stop talking around people because I want people to have a good time

I have OCD to the point where I have 2 numbers in my head 5 and 6. Whenever I am sitting down and tap my pen, I have to tap my pen 6 times in a shape of a triangle and if I accidently touch my arm with my finger, I have to tap 5 dots in the same line and if I accidently touch the same spot twice, i redo the cvycle. If I do not do these methods, I begin having an anxiety attack.

I have messaged my doctor yesterday asking to talk with him about not taking prescription pills but rather taking medical marijuana because I do not want to be forced pills in my system when, from my experience of family members and friends taking pills, the aftermath of pills is worse than weed.

Is there any information I should know prior to our meet up? I live in California and I understand I can just go down the street with my prescription in hand and get a MMJ Card but I would like to discuss this with my doctor so I understand all the pros and cons.

2. I use mmj for my migraines.  a lot of people find it works well as a preventative, but for me, i only get symptom relief.

3. Well, I still have to go to school with migraines as it is. Symptom Relief would be great especially when I am driving so it doesn't feel like the back of my eyes are burning in their sockets.

4. A couple things I'd consider, in your shoes.

The amount and type of mmj I have seen anyone use to get rid of a migraine would render you unsafe to drive.  Please don't drive while medicated like that.

When using mmj for a migraine, I find vaping and smoking to be the only effective methods for me.  

Getting your teeth taken care of, and off the norcos.  They cause terrible rebound headaches in a lot of people.  Do you have dental insurance?  The long term health consequences of tooth decay cannot be understated.  It could be doing damage to your heart right now.  Not to mention, the long term health effects of long term painkiller use (not good for your liver).  You will also feel so much better with your teeth fixed.  And it may fix your migraines.

Do you have a heart murmur?  If so, if you're getting migraines frequently enough, ask your doctor.  A PFO closure can frequently result in a cessation of chronic migraines.  A PFO closure can be done laparoscopically, is actually one of the safer and more common procedures, and is outpatient or at most a one night stay, iirc.

Other preventative medication.  Topamax has saved my middle child from migraines.  They were so bad, and have actually resulted in four hospitalizations, of 3-8 days each.  Another preventative measure is a beta blocker, in a very small dose.  Unless you have significantly low blood pressure, they're quite safe and effective.

Pharmaceuticals aren't, as a class, evil.  I big puffy heart my triptan of choice (triptans, like Imitrex, are fantastic for stopping a migraine) and its very low side effect profile.  I wouldn't recommend going to ergotamines, except as a last resort before trying botox, but triptans are great.

5. #5 tb2232361@mail.com, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  6. Thank you for your replies. You guys have taken the time to reply and share your knowledge and I respect you guys for that.

Imitrex gave myself terrible lockjaw and my body was weird at all points. I have decent health insurance but I do not have gas money all the time and the nearest dental office is 40 minutes away; sucks to be a college kid at this point. I could understand not driving while on MMJ because I have drove while high and I got lost when I was 5 minutes from my house (I didn't have my glasses on but still). I am heading to the doctor pretty soon so I can ask him about possible heart murmurs however, I got hit by a car a couple months ago (hit and run and the dude was never found even though he works for the school I attend) and they wanted to do a xray of my hip. THis procedure was $50 and I could not pay that just to have it checked. I have been researching using vape pens as they do not cause many effects that are caused by combustion, etc. I do respect you for the reply because you have knowledge that most do not have and I thank you for that. I just personally believe that marijuana is a safer subtance than any pharmaceutical.
    Thank you for this link, it gives me information on not only OCD but also Anxiety.  I do not understand why doctors refuse to use marijuana as a prescription but rather push pills in our face whether they work or not.

7. oh, I wasn't trying to turn you away from mmj.  I use it daily, and am really quite fond of it.  I was just making some suggestions in case mmj doesn't fully prevent and treat your migraines.  It is the only thing Stormcrow needs for her migraines, as I think I've seen her say, but that's not the case for everyone.

8. to deal with bad bacteria in the mouth use oregano oil diluted with olive oil on your toothbrush morning and night and at lunch if you brush then. one or two drops work to clean the mouth and keep the overload of bad bacteria from going from your mouth up into your brain ( the first point and the fastest course to reach the brain is the soft tissue under the tongue). I personally use baking soda and oregano and have been for years and years. it is hot as shit and you know it is killing off those little suckers. a recommended dose of two tablespoons oregano oil used to be used from the old timers ( they were some tuff fuckers back then compared to people now).

9. Smoke it up mate.. Will heal you and place you in a relaxed state of mind to take on whatever you want.  :bongin:

Huh?

11. Hi, I used to have some nasty migraines from a childhood head trauma (another kid tried to murder me with a hammer).  I have found that daily use of cannabis PREVENTS my migraines- haven't had a real migraine since I started growing about 14 years ago. Life without migraines is WONDERFUL!!! :yay:

Because my migraines are due to a trauma, my experiences may not hold true for you. I get better relief from indicas than sativas. A few times when I had only sativas, I have ended up with a "shadow migraine", a headache with the same pain pattern as my migraines, but MUCH less severe (no auras or nausea).

Anxiety? You should be using a strain with some CBD in it. The budtender at your dispensary should be able to show you which strains have a mix of THC and CBD.

Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid symptoms and hippocampal-dependent memory impairment.        (abst – 2012)       http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23042808

Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by simulated public speaking in treatment-naïve social phobia patients.        (abst – 2011)     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307846

So you liked the link provided by tb223? Wait til you get a load of what I am offering! I collect medical studies- LOTS of them!  This, for example, is from the rather small section on OCD and cannabinoids-

Improvement in Refractory Obsessive Compulsive Disorder With Dronabinol
    (letter - 2008)              http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=99760

Science: THC effective in obsessive compulsive disorder according to case reports         (news - 2008)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=268#2

Medical Marijuana and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder       (news – 2009)
    https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/content/ailments/view/49?ailment=obsessive-compulsive-disorder

Cannabidiol inhibitory effect on marble-burying behaviour: involvement of CB1 receptors.        (abst - 2010)              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20695034

Inhibition of endocannabinoid catabolic enzymes elicits anxiolytic-like effects in the marble burying assay.       (full – 2011) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3034086/pdf/nihms262924.pdf

Plasma and brain pharmacokinetic profile of cannabidiol (CBD), cannabidivarine (CBDV), Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) and cannabigerol (CBG) in rats and mice following oral and intraperitoneal administration and CBD action on obsessive-compulsive behaviour.        (abst – 2011)        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21796370

Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an anxiolytic drug.      (full – 2012)
    http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-44462012000500008&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en

Multiple mechanisms involved in the large-spectrum therapeutic potential of cannabidiol in psychiatric disorders.       (abst  – 2012)        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23108553

Endocannabinoid analogues exacerbate marble-burying behavior in mice via TRPV1 receptor.        (abst – 2012)         http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22248639

Cannabidiol reverses the mCPP-induced increase in marble-burying behavior.   
    (abst – 2013)          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24118015

I have sections on Anxiety, Migraines and much more! To get a free copy, just check out the bottom of my sig and email me. Within 24 hours (usually), I will send you 2 emails containing PDFs of the the List (it's so big I have to divide it up into sections to send it to some email addresses.  Anyway, if you add up all the sections, it comes out to over 1,400 pages of links! More than enough to keep you reading for weeks, and it's all on cannabis and the cannabinoids!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Granny

12. Hello fellow anxiety sufferer I too have ocd related anxiety attacks. If there's a certain thing that upsets my relaxation which is numerous things than its hard for me not to stay stuck on that thing which adds to the anxiety of whatever else I'm trying to concentrate on. This leads to depression post trauma vomiting in extreme cases etc. I'd stay away from high THC sativas unless you find they work for you. I'm on lexapro and it helps my anxiety depression and odd a lot. In terms of weed I'd say that high THC Sativa's with a level of tolerance actually calms me down I've smoked hundreds of strains and other forms of pot but am still lookin for miss right. Pineapple Sativa's and Hawaiian Sativa's are an exotic wonder when it comes to exotic stress reducing genetics wonders for me. Thats the best advice I can give you.