20inx20inx4ft grow box & 2 150w cfl project

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Magnum420, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Hey guys just wondering if u guys thot this would be a decent setup? What I'm trying to achieve is possibly an oz of dried bud? This project will only run about $75 and to run it pretty cheap 2 42w cfl = 300w. Anyways just wanted to get some imput if anyone had sumthin similar? Also I will be veging for about 2weeks so the plant won't outgrow the box. If it's sucesfull I will also build one for a cuple friends for a small fee :)

2. Thats only 84 Watts... don't go by the equivalent watts, that is useless for growers. For a true 300 Watt grow you'd need 7-8 of those.

3. Dam that's over $80 in bulbs. Why do people use them again? Maybe this project was a bad idea? I found a pack of like 5 for $6 but they were cheaper 23w or so.

4. I prefer the 23 Watt bulbs anyway. They produce more lumens per watt and it is a lot easier to custom place them around your plant to maximize light exposure. Plus they are like 2 bucks a piece at wal mart.

5. Your gonna need at least 4 of those 23w ones and your still under a 100w which is the least u need per plant. But im having pretty good success with my seedings with 4 26w over 4 little ladies.

6. Ya Im thinking of adding 2 23w cfl to the box along with the 2 42w cfl I already have I was thinking to just hang them on the side and just spin the plan every cuple days or so kuz the other 42watters are on top.

7. I did a lil mor research I found that about 5,000 lumens is what's needed per sq ft to flower a plant. The 2 42w bulbs I have now are a total of 5,200 lumes but because my space is a lil biger than 1 sq ft I'll throw 2 23w on the side for a total of 8,400 lumes? Dose that sound right? And with these light a lil under an oz is achievable? Iv herd everything from 18g to over 1.5 oz?

8. Dose anyone ells have opinions or advise on this project? I shud have a plant in there in 5 weeks.

9. Check out the setup I got (link in signarture) its basically one 42w bulb and an LED flashlight and my plants just sprouting. I think your set up will work just fine.