2045, The Day the human race reaches immortality.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Dannyscott, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Recently, I have come into the findings of a theory called Singularity. Supposebly this event when Artificial Intelligence will replace the human brain. Giving the AI more computing power and ability to think for itself billions times the standard human brain computates and reasons. Along with nano-technology and bio-engineering. According to Dr.Kurzweil, we should be able to defeat death itself. Claiming old age is an illness, and like most illnesses can be cured.

This is just his outlook on extending human life, now whats also interesting is the intelligence level of computers which will replace the human brain as we know it, by then.

Here is a link to the article, I've read about all this before, but in this weeks TIME magazine article it really caught my attention and I thought I would share it with you.

Singularity: Kurzweil on 2045, When Humans, Machines Merge - TIME

Its a fairly lengthy article and alot to take in, read with caution. Some of it is pretty intense.

2. I see only one problem, computers don't have common sense. ... Wait a second, most humans don't either. Ok I see no problem with this.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Well in Kurzwiels studies, common sense won't only be attained it is beaten.
    :p

4. I was thinking about the idea of a conscience recently. I came to the conclusion that common sense, and everything else that makes up a conscience actually just comes from the memory and remembering what we did wrong, and basing what we do on what we remember. You could say our past can predict the future, and ultimately make choices with a 'conscience'

so maybe, as memory capacity expand, and as cameras/recording equipment etc. becomes more sensitive and faster, AI intelligence is a definitely a possibility.

5. the day?

that's a year.....derp

6. It will be some day in the year of 2045.

7. 2045, the year the human race becomes obsolete.

If machines will do everything better than humans, then why will we/they keep our flawed asses around?

8. Derp again.

it was a joke...

9. lol...

10. I believe it will happen at some point. Gotta admit, a lot of stuff he predicted has happened.

11. Immortality wouldn't be that great. You would definetely get bored after awhile

12. Yeah and then iRobot happens all over again.

13. Wheres Will Smith when you need him.:D

14. #14 Thunderstruck, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
    hopefully we built a good enough robot this time to actually win.

I am excited about the Singularity though.

no need to worry about the date, as long as you stay alive till the average age (like 75 or 80 now i think?) you will live to see it if they are right. Then you'll have the choice to stay in this box as long as you want or go into another box and try that one out.

15. I'm hoping for the kind of reconstructive surgery or whatnot cybernetic implants you receive won't be like hundreds of thousands of dollars.

another weird thing he points out, it will be the end of the Human Era, like as in the end of our species. And the creation into something more o_O

16. Maybe not 2045, I think eventually though if we don't kill ourselves off first. We might progress a lot but there are several bumps that we won't be able to overcome right away, stuff we probably dont even know about now.. For example, we had man walk on the moon in 1969 I believe? Back then people probably believed we'd have colonies on the moon fairly soon, or have shit on mars or other plants and etc. and 40+ years later we really don't. Kind of a bad example, but hopefully you get the point. We arent advanced enough yet to know what kind of shit well have to overcome in the future.

Although you never know, I'll see what I can do. ;)

17. or just not enough funding or talent in the field. All we need is one or two breakthroughs....

18. There's a problem with that theory... The human race will be extinct 33 years before that happens.

19. Dude fuck immortality, that shit would suck.

I would want to live long enough so i could have a hover board....then im calling it quits

Iv smoked to much dmt in my day to say i wanna live forever, if death is like my dmt trips...i want in

20. #20 fatkat, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
    What if your mind was wiped every say 250 years or you were put into a new universe of consciousness - like a brain hardware upgrade replete with new manners of senses. Would that even out the rough spots in forever-life? Of course all of reality would be a bit phony and electro-chemically induced at that point...

Oh well regular reality is kind of cardboardish.

I believe we will inject our minds into machines. At least a select few of us will eventually. And it will end up sucking big style for that elitest bastard few.