2016 PACNW Grow Log

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by bigkypapa, Apr 10, 2016.

1. There are a few different grows happening at once.

First, a friend was given some cuttings that had a mite problem, so instead of throwing them out he gave them to me, and I planted them in a raised bed, and two in an earthbox I had lying around. 20160322_180624.jpg 20160324_183142.jpg 20160324_183211.jpg 20160409_160621.jpg 20160409_160627.jpg

The difference between the first pic, and last two is about 3 weeks. While I can't recall each strain, I believe they consisted of Dr Who, Pink Lady and Tut. I don't care much what happens to these- I may even create a black out cover to light dep em and harvest them small.

Next, I have 3 Autoflower seeds ordered online that are germinated in coco cups. They are going into an NFT (nutrient film teqnique) hydro setup in my greenhouse. Hopefully the combo of natural sunlight and hydroponics allows these to grow to their full potential. They are Girl Scout Cookie, Pineapple Express and Green Crack. These should take 6-8 weeks till harvest time. 20160405_192755.jpg 20160408_181607.jpg 20160409_203252.jpg
    They sprang up in less than 72 hours. GSC is blowing up in the middle. I keep them in the greenhouse during the day to soak up sunlight, then back inside at night under a CFL lamp. I have only watered them using tap water that was filtered for chlorine and chloramine. Once they gain their second set of leaves I will place them into my NFT setup.
    20160403_125610.jpg This is before I hooked up hoses/pump going to and from the reservoir, which I buried about 4 feet deep just outside the greenhouse so it stays cool.
    20160403_123336.jpg 20160403_123410.jpg Here you can see the hole for my reservoir, both from the inside and outside.

And finally, the real deal- IMG_19961.jpg These strains were hand picked from a good friends large co-op grow. They are Lemon Star Dawg, Gorilla Glue #4, 9lb Hammer, Hog and two Black Widows.
    They are being grown under 24 hours of light right now. This pic is just over a week old right now. I will be picking them up this coming Friday the 15th and placing them into their new home; My greenhouse is 20ftx10ft, 8 ft tall at the side walls and about 10ft at center. Automatic vents still need to be installed on either end, and a couple industrial fans added. I will probably throw a 10,000BTU AC unit in there at some point.
    20160408_193840.jpg 20160404_195131.jpg 4 of the plants will go into 100 gallon fabric pots, and 2 into the raised bed. This is going to be a totally organic soil grow. The bulk soil is from a local nursery, and is a master gardeners custom blend of fir bark, perlite, top soil, dairy manure compost and sand. Great stuff. The kind in the containers is a bit different than the raised bed, as it has a higher perlite content for drainage.
    20160403_125235.jpg These are the only ferts I will be using. I mixed each well into the pots about halfway down. Mixed plenty in with my raised bed soil as well. I shouldn't have to use much until flowering starts...even then, I will only use liquid seaweed as a foliar spray, mollasses to feed the soil, and neem oil to keep aphids and powder mildew at bay. Notice the cedar bark chips; should keep things from ever getting muddy, and it deters some bugs.
    This will be updated throughout the season, as often as I can.

2. 20160409_160525.jpg I thought this would be good to mention; the pineapple express seedling didnt shed its seed husk when coming out of the soil. Now that it's above dirt level, it has become stiff and hard, encapsulating the plants leaves. I sprayed a bit of water on it, then carefully pulled the husk off using tweezers. As soon as I did, its vibrant green embryo leaves opened up...I think it would have died had I not removed the husk.

3. Finally picked up the ladies- Even picked up a Black Cherry Soda. It is the biggest one in the back right corner.
    20160416_221043.jpg I have some T5's out there to prevent them from possibly going into flower mode, as they are coming out of a 24 hour cycle. I am keeping the light on until 11pm or so, making it about 17ish hours of light a day. I also am using black garbage bags to light dep the 2 plants in my earthbox (rear left corner in pic) as well as a bubble bucket type- hydro tub of nine, twelve-inch clones. I will get a picture of the tub in motion soon. I will be transplanting the 3 Autoflower plants into my NFT setup on Wednesday 4/20. They should hopefully finish off at the same time as the other plants im light dep'ing.
    I came home from work today around 6pm and found that it was 100 degrees inside the greenhouse! Even worse, the daily high/low was 122/46!!! I absolutely have to get an AC in here ASAP, as well as a couple fans. leaving the front door open helped cool things down quickly, so I will be sure to leave it open during hot days, for sure.
    20160418_182205.jpg
    Here is a closer pic of the plants in the Earthbox
    20160415_203648.jpg
    And a pic of the in-line garden hose filter I use to keep out chlorine/chloramine.
    20160416_142701.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Here are some updated pics, 2 weeks post-transplant. I was able to put in a couple fans and a portable AC unit, and finally have the temp under control. I have also gotten my drip hoses arranged now; This should make watering much more user friendly, coupled with a timer. Right now I am keeping my T5's directly above the autoflowers; I turn it off every night around 11 or so. Notice everything seems to be doing well, except the black cherry soda, which still looks like a sad bastard, with leaves dying off a few every day almost. I'm sure it will turn itself around.
    20160428_220557-1[1].jpg 20160428_220659-1[1].jpg 20160428_220848-1[1].jpg 20160428_220943-1[1].jpg 20160428_221722[1].jpg 20160428_222102[1].jpg 20160428_221834[1].jpg

Attached Files:

5. So this is Day 23 for these- How do they compare to any of your autos? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Damn, I thought there would maybe be some input on here by now... maybe the market/blogs are flooded? Anyways, heres another update, including a few new additions- trainwreck x northern lights and monkey balls x shiskaberry. I was going to replace the BCS with them, but i feel like it could still turn itself around. Letting it stay for now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have come up with what I think is a solid mix for foliar feeding. I have used seaweed extract before, and have noticed that nearly everyones recipe includes it. I have also heard great things about silica, so i threw that in as well. I began spraying with this mixture on Saturday, 5/7, and hit them again on Sunday. I think i will spray them down about once a week. I will post some more pics this saturday, to see what the growth looks like after 1 week. [​IMG]

8. Where did that monkey balls x come from? Lookin good man

9. All of my plants, except the autos, came from someone I consider to be one of the best growers in the PNW. He has 25 years experience, and unlike some oldies, he enjoys a good variety. He grew both the monkeyballs and the shiska, and bred them. Very Sativa dom, from the look of her leaves. Ill give a post transplant update tonight. Also found out why the BCS wasnt happy...she was covered in red spider mites! Dug that bastard out of the raised bed immediately, put in a pot and hit it with a homemade pepper spray my brother swears by. Ill hit it again, and the area it was in, at least a few days in a row. None of the others seem to be infested, so i think damage is minimal. Ill either get it back to health or burn it in my next fire.

10. I think the ladies took well to the HST I put them through. More bushlike now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Autoflowers doing their thing [​IMG]

They have definitely begun flowering now, though it took longer than I thought it would.

12. Its been over a week since my last update. Here's a current status rundown: the black cherry soda just might survive, thanks to daily doses of my homemade habanero spray. However, it left a shit trail of mites in the greenhouse that have spread to a few of the smaller plants, slowing their growth. The habanero spray doesnt seem to be as effective on these ones, and since they are going to be part of my central lineup, im willing to push the envelope a bit more. Grean cleaner ive heard great things about, and it is omri listed, but the cost is steep, at 60 bucks for a small bottle, id guess a liter? I will be buying some this week to try it out.

Next, my autoflower NFT setup damn near gave me a panic attack when i came home the other day. Found them looking like this [​IMG]
    I found the reservoir bone dry, and the pump just running itself ragged. Must have either gotten clogged at the drain by root mass, or maybe it rotated and spilled out...it was 90 degrees and any evidence had already dried up. I got my 16gal res filled, added nutes and ph'd faster than i ever have. Pump still worked fine, and nothing seemed to be leaking. 2 hours later they looked much better.[​IMG]

And this was yesterday [​IMG]

I think they pulled out of it well enough, but now im seeing this...is it just a normal side effect from being dehydrated?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The plants that were in my earth box are just about finished. Im thinking about a week on the purple tinged one, and maybe 2 for the other one? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The big girls are all doing quite well. Especially the Hog...sweet tits is it nice.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see how the mites are yellowing/slowing one of the black widows (left side of raised bed, plant on the right side) as well as the replacement plants i put in.
    [​IMG]

And lastly, here are my "rejects" who are revegging like crazy, and doing some funny things. Im guessing in 4 months a couple of these could be monstrous
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nice stuff! Subbed!

deadhead (~):}

• Like Like x 2
  14. I have yanked out about a dozen volunteer tomato plants from just around this one plant...cant have anything getting in her way! Look at the branching...i dont think ive ever had a plant with so many branchings, naturally. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Looks like you are growing a cbd strain ?

• Like Like x 2
  16. #20 bigkypapa, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Less than 1 month growth since pic taken above, now this looks to be the largest of the group... insane [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1