2015: The Year Racism Made a Comeback

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jane_Bellamont, Mar 29, 2016.

1. 2015: The year racism made a comeback

One thing I have noticed about Americans, particularly on YouTube comments.. is how passionate they are about their agendas.

For example, when it comes to gays, lesbians and trans people - some people either hate them (westboro baptist church, Alex Jones, the 'Men's Rights Movement', right-wing conservatism, etc.), or they absolutely worship them and put them on pedestals (ellen degeneres, lady gaga, left-wing social liberalsm, etc.).

Same goes with Muslims, Blacks, etc.

Here in New Zealand it tends to baffle us. We simply cannot even begin to understand why Americans are so polarized about everything. Here in our country, we do not give a fuck if you're blue, yellow, green, or pink. We don't give a fuck about who you fuck, or how you fuck, or who you wanna fuck as. We're far too busy with our own personal lives to even care about what God you worship.

And despite our tolerance and extreme cultural diversity, we've never been victims of terrorist attacks.

Have we forgotten the spirit of the 60s? Martin Luther King? Gandhi?

• Like Like x 8
  2. p.s.

What tends to impress me the most is how people actually try to pass racism off as Reason, despite the fact that it's easy to see how they're missing the bigger picture.

It is this very rationalization that allows racism to perpetuate itself, like a mutant virus:

e.g. 'WELL LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST ANYMORE, OKAY? MUSLIMS ARE EVIL, AND THEY NEED TO BE EXTERMINATED. THIS TIME, WE ARE RIGHT!'

e.g. 'BLACK PEOPLE ARE AN INFERIOR SPECIES, AND SCIENCE AND CRIME STATISTICS PROVE IT. YOU CANNOT ARGUE AGAINST SCIENCE, LET'S NOT SACRIFICE SCIENCE FOR POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. MARTIN LUTHER KING WAS WRONG ALL THE WAY!'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Vicious, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Do you consider affirmative action racist? Racism and sexism is very institutionalized in academia.

[​IMG]

You're making it sound like it's only white people are hating LGBT people, Muslims and Black people when it's okay and encouraged by many to hate and "do away" with whiteness.

• Like Like x 6
  4. There are a few factors to understand regarding what's going on in the US.

1. The country is under a constant polarizing 24/7 news cycle. The average home has access to about 3-5 24/7 news stations. These stations appeal to different market demographics, mainly diehard liberal and diehard conservative. As such, regardless of what your political point of view is, there is a station out there for you, telling you all day long that everything you think is right, and everything the other side thinks is wrong. Multiply this by a couple of years, and we're up to "fk the other guy!"

2. The country never fully recovered since the crash of 2007/2008. Trickle Down Economics didn't work (shocking) and the rest of the world has closed the prosperity gap that existed between the US and them since WW2. As a result, America, a nation of 320+ million is under more financial stress than ever before since the great depression. People are tense, afraid for their jobs and the futures of their family. Because of this everyone is a bit more on edge than they usually would be.

3. Attack of the ISM's. Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia are more cried about in the US than anywhere else in the world. What most of the non-American posters on here don't seem to have realized yet is that "racism" or "sexism" in the US isn't what it used to be historically, or even as late as the 90's and early 2000's. Now racism, sexism, and homophobia have become everything that isn't 1000% unquestionable support of women, minorities or gays. Support, or you're a bigot.
    Obviously, the more you loosen the definition of those words to encompass more and more, the more "culprits" and offenses are created. Meanwhile, the media eats every one of those occurrences up and vomits further polarizing misinterpretation and overexaggeration onto the populace.

• Like Like x 9
  5. IMO, America is just a violent place. We like to hate things, we like to exclude people. We LOVE labels and taglines, we don't have much of an attention span. We have a long history of abusing people in our way. We throw people off land they've been on for thousands of years and make it ours and rape the fuck out of it. I don't think many Americans realize how horribly we've treated black people throughout history either, it wasn't that long ago that they couldn't drink from the same water fountain, my mother is a baby boomer and remembers that shit. It wasn't that long ago that we were hanging black folks from trees and burning their lives down. Sure, everybody just jump on my ass, I'm ashamed to be American sometimes. Whatevs, more weed needed.

• Like Like x 10
  6. The Corporate States of America are scapegoating the problems caused by class warfare into a discussion of race which causes the oppressed and slandered masses to become angry and to act in a manner that is preemptively expected of them. The media portrays stories in a way so as to spark thought in their viewers (FOX News), and in turn creates hatred within the groups and minorities being singled out as the cause of the problem.

Consider the presidential election which is rigged in Clinton's favor: Trump (a former Democrat (wait, what??)) is only running for the GOP bid knowing that xenophobic Americans who are too stupid to think for themselves will vote for him, while knowing the minority vote has and will vote for a Democrat. The media continues to slander Bernie Sanders by underreporting polls and making claims that 'Hillary wins the bid' before we've made it through half of the primaries. It's all rigged by the .01% (Koch brothers). By having the overly-dramatic Donald Trump all over the media, people are unable to see the truth about Hillary Clinton such as her $15M salary or her flip-flopping on major issues such as the Keystone pipeline, which she supported up until last fall to better position herself for the DNC bid (Koch brothers own Alberta tar sands, the crude of which will be transported by the pipeline).

Back to race-- we are all one species with different pigmentation due to generations of exposure to different levels of light (visual spectrum, IR and UV), elevation, and habitat.

• Like Like x 2
  7. #8 Vicious, Mar 29, 2016
    The world is violent, however now is the most comfortable time of living in human history. It's not just America's shame. Great Britain, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Russia, China, Japan; everyone has sins from the colonial era and in more recent times. Belgium had human zoos where black people were treated like monkeys. Wildly enough it was Hitler that banned them while occupying Belgium. America isn't guilty alone.

• Like Like x 5
  8. #9 jas43, Mar 29, 2016
    I noticed in 2015 that being anti white is the new cool thing to do.

So many "strong" new age "revolutionaries" figured out that all you have to do is blame whites for your personal downfalls.
    It's that easy.

• Like Like x 10
  9. most americans don't give a shit what color or sexuality you are..

OP you're just viewing from an outsider's perspective, using ginned up media stories as as a rule, rather than the exception. it's the exception - that's why it makes the news.

• Like Like x 9
  10. This is the country where it's an outrageous hate crime to not bake a cake for a wedding. It's okay when Muslims refuse service though.

• Like Like x 4
  11. If everyone was ashamed of their country for it's history of slavery then everyone in the world would be ashamed. There are still places that have slavery so maybe you can be proud of the progress your country has made.

• Like Like x 5
  12. #13 Jane_Bellamont, Mar 29, 2016
    To be honest, I don't watch a lot of news.

This is one thing I have noticed on internet comments specifically. I'll admit, I've never been to America in my life, maybe you're right.. it's just the media and the internet?

But still, it's scary to think about. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable doing an overseas experience in the United States.. unless I was like rich and famous with bodyguards and all, lol

p.s.
    Here's some interesting reading on the issue:
    Why Are Americans So Divided? Why Are We So Angry?

Robert Reich, University of California Berkeley professor, author and former Secretary of Labor, wrote in the New York Times recently about his experience while in an airport to catch a flight. A well-dressed man approached him and said: “You are a Commie dirtbag,” (he actually used an unprintable variant of “dirtbag”). Mr. Reich was taken aback, but decided to respond as civilly as he could.

“You’re wrong. Where did you get your information?” he asked the man. “Fox News. Bill O’Reilly says you’re a Communist,” the man replied and walked away irritated.

“It’s rare that I’m accosted and insulted by strangers, but I do receive vitriolic e-mails and angry Facebook posts,” wrote Mr. Reich. “On the Internet and on TV shows, name-calling substitutes for argument, and ad hominem attack for reason.”

“Scholars who track these things say the partisan divide is sharper today than it has been in almost a century,” he continued. “The typical Republican agrees with the typical Democrat on almost no major issue. If you haven’t noticed, Congress is in complete gridlock.”

Mr. Reich asks, “So what, exactly, explains the national distemper?”

“For one, we increasingly live in hermetically sealed ideological zones that are almost immune to compromise or nuance. Internet algorithms and the proliferation of media have let us surround ourselves with opinions that confirm our biases. We’re also segregating geographically into red or blue territories: chances are that our neighbors share our views, and magnify them. So when we come across someone outside these zones, whose views have been summarily dismissed or vilified, our minds are closed.”

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm 34, so while not old, also not young.
    Being born in cali, i can say it was more racist back in the late 80s for me.

Random people still call me 'chink' and 'gook', not as much as the late 80s.

• Like Like x 5
  14. #15 Lenny., Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
    I suppose it is a matter of whether or not you see the glass half-full or half-empty. I'm a half-full kind of person. We have statistical data that demonstrate an ever-increasing trend of tolerance and acceptance of the LGBT community. 2015 was the year that "Love Wins" as gay marriage is legal throughout the country. We also have statistical data that demonstrate Donald Trump (the person that your article relied on to try to prove his point) is the most unfavorable presidential candidate since they started recording this statistic.

There are instances of intolerance and prejudicial behavior everywhere you go, and there always will be as long as different people live in the same communities. I'm curious why you singled out America (I'm not offended at all btw) when making this topic in the light of everything happening in Europe right now. There are far right / neo Nazi parties gaining popularity in multiple European countries. While Trump has talked about building a wall, Macedonia has actually BUILT a wall to keep out refugees fleeing a war zone. These aren't YouTube comments, this is stuff actually happening.

I do not believe there can be a substitute for living your entire life in a country. The internet is a vicious place and you cannot verify the nationality of anonymous people or whether they are sincere in their comments.

If I broaden the scope and look at America in my entire lifetime there is no denying the important progress that has been made, and we should not ruin that by focusing on the negatives and claiming that's all there is to the story.

An example, Caitlyn Jenner. When I was growing up, if Bruce Jenner came out as transgender and starting looking and dressing as a woman it would have utterly ruined his life and career. But in 2015, Jenner is winning prestigious awards for courage. She also has a $75 million dollar TV contract to be main star in a reality show about being transgender. Nowadays, in many cases, being anti-gay or racist will ruin your career. An example of this is Los Angeles Clippers owner 80 year old Donald Sterling who was caught on recording telling his girlfriend "I don't want you bringing black people to my games". He was forced by the league to sell the team in an unprecedented move.

I don't think it's smart to let a man whose entire schtick is being controversial destroy the progress that has been made. Focusing on the negatives, without mentioning the positives or how good it is to live in a first world country, just allows this culture of victimhood flourish, which I think hurts people, not helps them.

• Like Like x 6
  15. So how divided is Canada, home to the 'world's nicest people'.. compared to the US?

16. I don't know if it matters, but California has a larger population than Canada.
    And that's just a single state.

It may be a skewed comparison.
    Let alone her goofy bias.

• Like Like x 2
  17. New Zealand had a total population of 4.471 million (2013). That's a little more than half the population of New York City. It is absurd to compare such a small country to the United States which has a population of nearly 320 million, hundreds of different ethnic groups and a huge amount of influence, for better or worse, in the world.

• Like Like x 7
  18. #20 Rotties4Ever, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    If youre gonna rate or judge a country based on youtube comments youre gonna have a bad time.

Did you ever notice how we always kill the people who told us to live in harmony and try to love one another? Jesus, Gandhi, Lincoln, JFK, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, John Lennon...they all said: try to live together peacefully. BANG! Right in the fucking head. Apparently we're not ready for that.'' -George Carlin

• Like Like x 7