2012!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by phiegnux, Apr 5, 2007.

1. wether you think about it or not, the thought is there. an ominous feeling of anticipation builds all the time. personally, everywhere i turn someone i know is thinking/feeling/experiencing...differently. there are numerous theories, ultimately, i dont think that even the most intelligent thinkers know what to make of it.

my favorite theory, though, is that of a global shift in consciousness as described (or postulated, rather) in Daniel Pinchbecks 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl. the book covers so much. it is a must read for anyone even remotely interested.

2. 2012 is going to be just 'another' year. Most predictions are going to be wrong - that being said, who knows what will go down 2012, some technological and scientific breakthroughs hopefully, some production of past-breakthroughs taht will help revolutionize the world.

3. This is just another Y2K.

Things will be fine, and for any of these theories to work, you have to believe in pre-cognition... which I don't.

If humans had found a way to circumvent space-time continuum, it would be more prevalent than a single ancient indigenous legend.

Lets keep in mind this was a group of people who also though peyote, san pedro and salvia was a way to connect with the spirit world.

I am particularily interest in this supposed astronomical connection. Is this actually astronomy which the ancients mesoamericans were well known for, or some kind of shamanistic, (non-empirical) astrology.

4. the winter solstice sun lines up with a dark part of the galaxy the cygnus rift and probably a thousand other meaningless astronomical events.

5. Thats why astrology fails to be a science.

6. Yep.astrology and astronomy probably had pretty close origins, though thats only interesting as a historical note. Astrology is a mockery and couldn't begin to be as interesting as real science. The life of a star is more interesting than some nonsense lies about how the stars decide our fates.

7. I dont believe the world will end on 2012. But I do believe a major even will happen then

8. Based on what?

9. To be honest, its just a feeling. I cant back it up with facts if thats what you mean. I cant really explain it but Im seeing certain things that are leading me to believe that something is about to give. Right now, I believe that on 2012, America will fall. Mainly because this contry has gone to hell. We lost sight on the values that our Founding Fathers based the constiution on. We've almost eliminated the need for survival since all the things we need are there and waiting for us. People are stupid and America is a prime example of this. No one will take blame for themselves so they blame other things for their own short comings. People here think freedom means doing whatever the fuck you want when you want, no matter what anyone else says. They think that they are above everyone and its like a pressurized can about to blow.

10. Well in that case, I think the galactic medium is some sort of transparent beer, and planets are composed soley of pretzel dough.

Just a feeling ;)

11. Yeah, yeah. I get it. I just thought Id might throw in my 2 cents. If my posts arent welcome without any hard evidence, ill delete it.

12. beware the science police

13. You're in a thread based on predictions about the end of the world based on the ancient's calender - i'm sure you're commentary is welcome. More to the point i'm sure all rasta_man was saying is a 'feeling' doesn't justify a belief. Somthing you seem aware of yourself, which just brings me back around to the question of why do you believe that if its only a feeling?
    I disagree, embrace them for their educational value.
    Feelings are around because they had evolutionary value - all of them, their not accurate at creating predictions about the end of the world and they weren't meant to be'

14. true true. I guess it is more of an idea than a belief.

15. Rudy Cooper said it best.

But yeah bro, you're totally entitled to your opinion. Your beleif, no matter what it is valid. (even weedypowerpuff's "beliefs" are valid.)

I was just try to prove a point; a 'feeling' doesn't justify a belief, like Rudy said.

And I'm not even looking for justification, just reasoning, if any.

I'm a rationalist, an empiricist, an atheist, or a 'secular humanist' as Zylark would say, and I try my best to let the scientific method and rational thought be my guiding light in making heads or tales of this crazy thing we call existence.

This seems to be an uncommon perspective, and it's far too tedious to debate somebody's JUSTIFICATION to believe. You have the right, and I'll honestly never be able to understand the justification.

You have a feeling that this concept is true. If you know you believe it without evidence, then I don't have any further points to make.

16. I recon the dead will rise in 2012, theres alot of evil in the world, media properganda, religon conflicts, murder,rape and president bush. "When theres no room in hell, the dead will walk the earth!" Well actaully i think that nothign will change, its human nature to look for loopholes which dont exist, or find somthign new to fear, in the end of the day, who knows anything of anything, we only see 30 percent of our world anwyays, but i had to get a Dawn of the dead quote in.

17. I read that the Mayan theories were outdated. Like it was based in A.D. and that it was already suppost to happen in 1450 or something. Really though during the new millenium alot of people thought it was the end of the world. But it never was. So why fall under a aincent salvia smoker's idea of the end of the world.

18. i believe the world is gna end or atleast somthin big is gna happen on sep.30th 2012....i believe this cuz i was watchn some shit in school like 8 years ago and they were talkn bout this and they said the aztects(i think) predicted wen every single eclipse was gna happen and they were only like 33 seconds off each one...not sayin this is definatly gna happen but there is a chance....

19. Yeah but see that's no reason to think anything is even gonna happen.

Us modern humans can also predict eclipses with precise mathematical formulas, and we're come across no imminent doomsday event.