2012 Legalization Initiatives

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by LonelyStonerx, Jan 27, 2012.

1. I wanted to make a thread to discuss what's going on with the possible initiatives for legalization (or MMJ) in various states to be on the ballots later this year. One specific question that I'm unclear of by reading articles is, will Prop 19 be on California's ballot this year?

Also I wanted to share some info about Missouri's growing attempt to get a legalization initiative on the ballot this year that you guys may or may not have heard about. They need 150,000 signatures by May 6th.
    Official website:Show-Me Cannabis Regulation - Missourians for Cannabis Policy Reform

2. I know CO and OR have some legalization (like wine) initiatives.

3. Bump for a fellow missourian. lets pass this shit!
    :smoke:

4. [quote name='"NotoriousCheech"']Bump for a fellow missourian. lets pass this shit!
    :smoke:[/quote]

Damn straight fellow missourians show me some cannabis. I just signed up to volunteer. Fellow Missouri blades I urge you to do the same its only a 150,000 sigs I bet I can get a thousand myself, if I try really hard lol.

5. There are two legalization initiatives that are working their way through the initiative process in California (as well as 3 others dealing with hemp, medical marijuana, and decriminalization):

State Sees Spate of Initiative Proposals: Five Different Measures Seek Signatures for Ballot | California NORML

Regulate Marijuana Like Wine is already collecting signatures and appears to be "in the lead". I believe the Repeal Cannabis Prohibition Act has only been submitted to the Attorney General for approval (this is required before signature collecting can begin).

In either case no one knows if any of these intiatives will reach the ballot in 2012. It depends if they can gather the required signatures (800,000+ to be on the safe side). This requires pretty significant funding, which at this time has not surfaced. RMLW is looking interesting in that respect however.

And as a side note, if either (or all) of the intiatives do make the 2012 ballot there is no way of knowing what proposition number they will be assigned, so there may not be a "Prop 19" in 2012 but there may be one or more legalization propositions with some number attached :)

6. Ohio getting mmj? I hope so!!

7. awesome thread so far :)

8. Washington state now has one :smoke:

9. Several bits of legislation in CA are getting voted on this November to shore up the current laws & make it safer for medical growers/providers.

10. Regulate Marijuana like Wine is the initiative in California with the most money and influence behind it. LEAP is strongly in support of it. If you want to help the cause like it on FB. They have a poll finishing up on monday. If more than 55% support it then there will be big money coming in to get it on the ballot.

Welkom bij Facebook - Meld je aan, registreer je of ontdek meer

11. #14 HitTheVape, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
    So let me get this straight.
    CA, WA, MI, CO, and MO all have a decent chance of getting legalization on the ballot for 2012? That's pretty incredible. Momentum is really starting to gain these past few years. 5 states could potentially have legalization in one year. Not like that would happen realistically though. Just very exciting stuff, even not being from any of those states I recognize how important it is getting other states legalized to finally bring full attention to this issue and force the fed's to address their horrible laws.
    I wish here in NY we could get propositions/initiatives on the ballot with signatures, I believe it's not set up to do that here.

Edit: OR too apparently is going for the ballot but it doesn't look good, since they don't have any funding to pay for petitioning I fear they won't gather the signatures. They're relying on donations.

12. I think Washington or Colorado will make history this year.

13. This is not accurate at this time. We do not yet know if any of the proposed CA initiatives (including the medical regulation initiative) will make it on to the November ballot.

I feel that WA and CO are currently in a better position than CA even.

14. Sorry for bringing this somewhat old thread back, but I believe it's a great idea to have this information centralized in an overview-type thread like this one. :smoke:

It would seem beneficial to have a one-stop place to see an organized list of both medical, and general, initiatives. If not this thread, then perhaps it would be a good idea to create a new thread where the first post is basically a list of states/ballots/initiatives with links, organized into a a couple sub headers for medical/general-public.

One significant update is that it looks like CA won't be voting on any of the four proposals, this year:
    Marijuana Legalization Efforts Fail in California, Thanks to Money and The Feds - San Francisco News - The Snitch

On the other hand, MI looks to have some new, powerful support for medical:
    Billionaire Finances Medical Marijuana

15. #19 angusbeef, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
    For whatever its worth it took Costco almost 20 million dollars in campaign materials on the second or third ballot attempt to beat the WA state government's monopoly on liquor.

I don't see I502 gaining enough support to pass this go around...but hey, its progress. It may still be a little early but haven't saw any pro I502 literature/opinion anywhere but here. On the other side of the ball I've saw several signs in opposition of the measure already.

"Save the kids, our families aren't ready for this" type of a slogan.
    :smoke:

IDK, when I start seeing signs staked in proud pot heads yards i'll have faith we're ready for legalization. Until than, I think society has a lot of em scurred into the closet :/. If this measure gets 40% approval on the first ballot appearance we're closer than I ever dreamt.

16. Absolutely fantastic poster! :smoke: