2009 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by XVIPimp, Apr 23, 2009.

1. It's happening this Saturday... so I thought I'd create this thread for any and all discussion on the draft. Here's a few questions for starters...

What does your team need the most ? What player do you want your team to select to fill that roll ?

Who is going to be a bust ? Will any late 1st rounders have a breakout year ?

I'll start off by saying it's obvious that we (the Titans) need WR's! We had the worst receiving corp in the league last year (IMO) so it's a no brainer on what we should draft. I'm hoping for Heyward-Bay or Hakeem Nicks, but I think they will be gone by the time we pick (30th) A lot of mock drafts have Percey Harvin still being available... I would roll the dice and take him.

If for some reason we don't take a WR, I think drafting a good CB (for depth) or a defensive lineman would be a good investment. I have faith that Jeff Fisher & the gang will make a good pick regardless. Really, I wish we could make a trade for one of the big name WR's out there (Boldin or Braylon Edwards would be nice) but I know that will never happen.

Here's predictions for some of the 1st round draft picks.

If Matt Stafford is taken by the Lions, he will not have very much success in the NFL. It will be the kiss of death for that guy.

Mark Sanchez will have a better career than Stafford, regardless of which team takes him (not including the Lions)

Knowshon Moreno and Michael Crabtree will be All-Pro's before their careers are over. Sooner rather than later...

Robert Ayers will end up as the best defensive lineman taken in this draft.

(These predictions are just for fun - so no one get their panties in a bunch over them)

Your thoughts ?

2. Matt Stafford wont be good in the NFL but i think Mark Sanchez will

3. This is my Big Board. I follow college football and the draft way too closely.

1. Aaron Curry
    This kids read and react skills are off the charts. Extremely disciplined wrap up tackler but he has that extra bit of power to deliver a wallop. FLIES to the ball carrier. A very good block shedder. Hard to not love this kid.
    2. Jason Smith
    Downloaded his game against Texas. Love his footwork and he’s just dominant at the line. You can’t beat him to the edge. It was disappointing that Rak was out this game, but he dominated Kindle and their other DE. You can see why this guy is so heavily hyped. Strong too. Total package and I think he’s worthy of being picked #1.
    3. Andre Smith
    Perhaps the most impressive player I saw all season. If it wasn’t for his poor choices and flabby body, which are red flags for lack of intelligence and poor work ethic, there is a good chance he’s be #1 on my board. Still, when you watch him play, he is a dominant beast.
    4. Eugene Monroe
    I really like Monroe against the pass. He uses his hands well, keeps his feet moving and is agile enough to reroute speed defenders. I question his power against the run, but as a blindside defender, he’s an elite choice at tackle.
    5. Bj Raji
    Tremendous athlete. Rare to say that about a 330lb man but his explosiveness off the ball is great. He’s agile around blockers but powerful enough to plow back guards and centers. Random tidbit, at 333 lbs his 10 yard dash was 1.69 and he had a 32 vert. He’s explosive.
    6. Michael Crabtree
    I love his explosiveness out of cuts and the determination he runs with after the catch. Breaks a lot of tackles. Very reliable hands and extremely coordinated, Crabtree stood out from day 1 at TT as more than just a product of the spread offense.
    7. Mark Sanchez
    Put simply, with another year in his belt he would have easily been in my top 3 overall prospects in next years potentially loaded class. Throw the numbers out of the window, his release, touch, accuracy, decision making, and mobility in the pocket make him my #1 QB.
    8. Everett Brown
    The thing that stands out when watching Brown is that he is not your typical college DE. He brings a multitude of moves to the table including that deadly spin move. Measurables are a concern, but watching him play has won me over.
    9. Darius Heyward Bey
    I love this kids soft hands and ability with the ball in the air. He’s not afraid to get hit when he’s going up in the air for a ball and I haven’t seen him drop a pass (although I’m assured he has). Not a terrible route runner, but was mostly used on screens, drags, and posts/streaks, so his ability in and out of cuts is a concern. Did I mention he is really really fast?
    10. Chris Wells
    Best stiff arm I’ve seen in college football. Runs hard, but he has skinny thighs for a 235 lb RB so that concerns me; he’s not a great pile pusher. But in the open field despite his lack of jukes he’s as deadly as anyone because he is easily the best tackle breaker in college football. Great burst through the hole and a north/south style are two reasons why I like Wells the best of this years backs.
    11. Brian Orakpo
    I fell in love with him when he dominated Loadholt but since I’ve come back down to earth. For one, he only does two moves, bull rush and speed rush. No swims or spins. Tremendous upside and a great athlete, I think Orakpo is a better pick around picks 10-15 as a DE and I think he is too stiff to play OLB.
    12. Malcolm Jenkins
    Excellent cover corner. Great burst, timing, athleticism and tackling, Jenkins has everything you look for in a CB prospect aside from 4.4 speed.
    13. Peria Jerry
    Great hands and burst off the line. I think Jerry is an underrated prospect. Size is not an issue if you’re looking for a penetrating DT, and that’s what Jerry can do best.
    14. Matt Stafford
    Stafford is lower on my board than most because I’m not in love with his accuracy or decision making. Reminds me of Jay Cutler coming out, and if he pans out, I think Jay is probably his ceiling. He has the tremendous arm and throwing motion as well as the experience to make an impact early in the NFL, but he almost always goes with his first read because he trusts his arm too much.
    15. Hakeem Nicks
    Extremely physical after the catch, but what I love most is his hands. Ran more NFL routes than most at the collegiate level and showed the ability to make the big play, Nicks reminds me a lot of Plaxico Burress coming out. Work ethic concerns and all. (obviously a lot shorter)
    16. Aaron Maybin
    Maybin has me worried. When you watched PSU you couldn’t help but notice that little gut who just FLEW off the edge around defenders. Scouts are in love with his first step but what I see is a limited player who has relied entirely on speed and only had one big year. Undersized but explosive and fluid, I’d like to see someone stand Maybin up in a 3-4 and give him a few years to develop.
    17. Michael Oher
    Everyone know’s the story on Oher now. Sometimes his technique is flawless, other times he gets sloppy. However, when you watch Ole Miss you rarely saw Snead (the best prospect on the team) pressured from behind because of Oher’s ability. I like him in the 15-20 range with his experience and big time upside.
    18. Knowshon Moreno
    Best balance of any back in the draft, it’s very hard to get this guy down. He doesn’t have the best speed but his feet, balance, hands, and vision are top notch. This is probably a little low for Knowshon, as I think he’ll be very productive in the NFL, but I can’t get over his inability to make the really big play.

-----------------------^First Round regardless of Class Players^-------------------------

19. Scott Mckillop
    Laterally he isn’t the best, but put him in a zone or have him blitz and you see just how special McKillop is. He closes much faster to the ball carrier than people expect and never misses a tackle. McKillop got trying to do too much a few times last year for his Defense, but often times he was dominant. It’s not a coincidence that WVU’s spread attack that piled up over 500 yds in back to back years was shut down as soon as McKillop hit the field as a starting MLB.
    20. Kenny Britt
    I like Britt because he is big, fast, and has experience running a variety of routes at Rutgers. I don’t question his work ethic because I remember him being a skinny player until I saw him this year, he must have put on a good 15-20 lbs of muscle while at Rutgers. Physically one of the more gifted WR’s in this class, Britt cracks my top 20 overall.
    21. Jeremy Maclin
    I love Maclin’s ability in the open field. His forty was a disappointment, but much like Felix Jones, does not tell the story about Maclin’s ability to take it the distance because his open field vision, burst, and patience is tremendous. I think the only NFL route I’ve ever seen him run was a hook, and he beat his man handily. Still, I don’t like WR’s who can’t run routes coming out because too often that leads to failure. If Maclin wasn’t a dynamo returnman, he’d be even lower on this list.
    22. Darius Butler
    He’s a little undersized for a first round corner, but when you watch him play his technique is so nice it’s hard to not like him. Not to mention his speed is up there with any corner in this year’s class. I think Butler has what it takes to be a starting CB for a very long time in this league. I could see him making a few probowls too, because his hands are very sticky.
    23. Vontae Davis
    I was in love with Vontae before the season, but he has a been a let down. I’ve seen him get beat too many times to be as high on him as I once was. Not to mention, he was a bit of a let down at the combine, I thought he was definitely a 4.3 elitely gifted cornerback. Well he’s not, and although he’s very physical and a hitter for a CB, his technique is shaky and some have questioned his work ethic.
    24. Evander Hood
    Hood really caught my eye in the postseason, as I never really noticed him in the few Mizzou games I’ve watched. He was really impressive at the senior bowl and had a great combine. “Ziggy” also has reputed to have a nonstop motor. When I combine his measurables with the footage I saw of him at the senior bowl, and solid production, Hood finds a place just inside my top 25.
    25. Michael Johnson
    I was a major skeptic coming into this year when everyone loved Johnson. Oddly enough, now it seems I like him a little more than most. His upside is blinding, and I saw him play very well against Virginia. I think teams would be making a mistake to let his upside fall out of the first round.
    26. Brandon Pettigrew
    Pettigrew slides on my board because I don’t like TE’s who aren’t complete TE’s to be taken early in the first round. That’s right, Pettigrew is not complete. His hands are reliable and he blocks very well, but he has absolutely no ability to stretch the field at all. I like blocking, possession TE’s pick 25 or later. He’s just too slow.
    27. Robert Ayers
    Ayers is an intriguing prospect because oh his motor on the field. He was able to make a ton of disruptions in the backfield this year, but you’d have to want more sacks from him. Despite his lack of pass rushing skills, he is capable, and against the run he is better than most of the 4-3 DE’s in this draft and therefore he presents some value later in the first round.
    28. Tyson Jackson
    I’m not very keen on drafting 3-4 De’s very early, and that is why Tyson is this low on my list. He’s nothing more than a big space eater, and honestly has never impressed me much when watching LSU.
    29. Ebon Britton
    Britton to me is a first round caliber player in this years draft. I’m not sure he’s a LT but I love his driving run blocking style. He’s also athletic enough to get to the second level and finish blocks. Britton is a solid pick in mid to late round 1 and worst case scenario I think you get a very good RT.
    30. Eric Wood.
    Wood is a versatile player and that is why I like him. He brings to the table the power and size that his rival Alex Mack does not, and that is very important in an NFL that is moving to the 3-4 and loading up on big bodies.
    31. Ron Brace
    Huge body in the middle and a true 3-4 NT. I like Brace more than most but success stuffing the run in college may have been a product of being paired with Raji. Still, I think Brace is a first round caliber player and could be a dominant 3-4 NT for the next 10 years.
    32. Josh Freeman
    Reminds me of JP Losman coming out. They don’t have similar size, but they have similar strengths and weaknesses. Big arms, fairly accurate, and mobile; they both have big upside. However, both struggled with reading coverage in college and although that can be coached, it may take a while. His upside is huge, and that is enough for him to land as the very last player on my top 32 big board.

4. QB’s
    1. Mark Sanchez
    2. Matt Stafford
    3. Josh Freeman
    4. Nate Davis
    5. David Johnson

RB’s
    1. Chris Wells
    2. Knowshon Moreno
    3. Percy Harvin
    4. Shonn Greene
    5. Donald Brown
    6. LeSean McCoy

WR’s
    1. Michael Crabtree
    2. Darius Heyward Bey
    3. Hakeem Nicks
    4. Kenny Britt
    5. Jarrett Dillard
    6. Jeremy Maclin
    7. Quan Cosby
    8. Mike Wallace
    9. Brian Robiskie
    10. Deon Butler

TE’s
    1. Brandon Pettigrew
    2. Jared Cook
    3. Shawn Nelson
    4. James Casey
    5. Chase Coffman

FB’s
    1. Tony Fiammetta
    2. Quinn Johnson
    3. Brannan Southerland-

OT’s
    1. Jason Smith
    2. Andre Smith
    3. Eugene Monroe
    4. Michael Oher
    5. Ebon Britton

OG’s
    1. Duke Robinson
    2. Andy Levitre
    3. Trevor Canfield
    4. Louis Vazquez
    5. TJ Lang

C’s
    1. Eric Wood
    2. Alex Mack
    3. Antoine Caldwell
    4. Max Unger
    5. Jonathan Luigs

DE’s
    1. Everrette Brown
    2. Brian Orakpo
    3. Aaron Maybin
    4. Michael Johnson
    5. Robert Ayers

DT’s
    1. BJ Raji
    2. Peria Jerry
    3. Evander Hood
    4. Ron Brace
    5. Jarron Gilbert

OLB’s
    1. Aaron Curry
    2. Gerald McRath
    3. Brian Cushing
    4. Tyrone McKenzie
    5. Clint Sintim

3-4 OLB’s
    1. Aaron Maybin
    2. Brian Orakpo
    3. Victor Butler
    4. Zack Follet
    5. Larry English

ILB’s
    1. Scott McKillop
    2. Rey Maualuga
    3. Lauranitis
    4. Jason Phillips
    5. Darry Beckwith

CB’s
    1. Malcolm Jenkins
    2. Darius Butler
    3. Vontae Davis
    4. Alphonso Smith
    5. DJ Moore

Cover 2 CB’s
    1. Malcolm Jenkins
    2. DJ Moore
    3. Victor Harris
    4. Jarius Byrd

S
    1. Malcolm Jenkins
    2. Louis Delmas
    3. David Bruton
    4. Patrick Chung
    5. Rashad Johnson
    6. William Moore
    7. Michael Hamlin

5. i hope the jags get one of top WR's(crabtree, heyward, or maclin)

one of those guys with torry holt and the jags offense just got a whole lot better

6. draft day baby!

Let's go Broncos! Do something good with those two first rounders!

7. Yup Yup. I here waiting to see if Reid will make some decent decisions this year. Im waiting to see us pickup a nice BIG WR for the first pick...
    [​IMG]

8. fuck!!!!! the jags could of got crabtree to go with torry holt but instead got a OL :mad:

9. Jets fans happy?

I am pissed if Raji gets picked here! The Broncos needs him!

10. Wow dude Jets all the way up for Sanchez, he's a good pick for them though they could use a decent QB

11. Al Davis is an idiot.

12. 3 of the guys McDaniels was interested in went already-Raji, Tyson Jackson and Sanchez
    boohoo :p

13. yea he is altho i think heyward could be the shit with his size and speed

14. #14 nugglord_420, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
    Sorry Deutsch, Green Bay needed Raji more than Denver did...

:p

Interested to see how the 3-4 transition and the Dom Capers era turns out.

15. #15 Johnny Blazed, Apr 25, 2009

you guys will prolly get orakpro at 12

great pick imo

EDIT - nevermind they just reached like a mofo to moreno, WTF?

16. #16 nugglord_420, Apr 25, 2009
    Hope you guys like RB Knownshon Moreno.

;)

Orakpo goes to the Skins. Wow.

17. exactly what they wanted and needed since jason taylor left

18. I'm hoping the Dolphins are able to pick up Percy Harvin. That would be a sick offense.

19. I really don't know how I feel right now.

I think they will get one of the USC linebackers with the 18th pick

20. malcom jenkins to the saints i already know it, their CB's have been gettin shit on for for 2 years str8