2001 Space odyssey

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Saul Goodman, May 30, 2009.

1. I tried watching this while I was high, and got to the part where the monkeys learn how to use bones and tools and such. Then had to turn it off.

I don't think I could even pay attention that long sober!

2. this has to be one of the greatest movies made of all time. Kubrick is a stylistic genius dude, please watch it!

oh and start echoes at Jupiter and Beyond :bongin:

3. For real? Then I'll have to try an watch it.

High or sober?

4. For real. Like this is the Stanley Kubrick film. Plus, you only got about 10 minutes into it. It's a LONG movie; you'll have to be patient, but it's worth it. Maybe take a few good bong rips to get through the slower first part. I like to do brownies for movies, though :D

5. I'd have to agree, 99% of the movies I watch stoned/or sober are NOT lost upon me. However, this film just didn't take. I made it to the part where there's a chick in all white floating in a space station and just gave up. I had to force myself that far!

6. I got to the part when the guy was sleeping on the spaceship and his pen was floating in the air. Then I turned on something else...I hear its good, but I guess i gotta be in the mood for it. A really good sci-fi movie is "sunshine" about a team of astronauts who attempt to reignite the dying sun. Very realisticly done.

7. EXACTLY the part I quit at. Didn't know how to describe it though haha. I saw the pen floating and I'm like "fu-u-u-u-u-ck this isn't the movie for me"

8. get used to long movies if you watch Kubrick. they may be long, yet so fulfilling. plus if you think 2001 is "long" try watching Barry Lyndon. practically 4 hours of Victorian era dialogue and duels; yet so aesthetically pleasing :p

watching 2001 blazed is a great idea. you can read much more into it, IMO. you will see the connection between our technological dehumanization soon enough :rolleyes:

9. HAL is a prick.

Also I didn't get the end of it.

He's a baby? I didn't get it.

10. Hey, maybe you have a point. To be honest, I've never watched 2001 baked, and I didn't actually care for A Clockwork Orange when I was baked. Some movies are a little two out there when you're baked. I feel like if there's a slow point in a movie, it's like 10x a slow point baked. Maybe we'll stick to comedies and music videos :rolleyes:

11. the baby is a reborn humanity, devoid of HAL (technology)

12. holy fuck man

HOW IN THE HELL DID YOU NOT LIKE ACO????

the fuck is wrong with you??? :confused::p

13. Don't get me wrong! :eek: I love that movie, when I can take it all in.

It's just a little too much stoned. Ever try Requiem for a Dream stoned? It just made me not want to be associated with any kind of drugs at all.

14. requiem is a whole new level of social warning. that movie is great though. i will watch any movie high/sober. i love cinema :D

but you are right, RFD is just plain crazy. such a great piece of cinema though.

15. Damn straight.

How'd you feel about Full Metal Jacket? :D

16. ha, i wrote a paper on it last semester actually. heres part of the 12 pages :p

This framing of violence can also be seen in Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange in slightly different form. The high culture that Alex loves so dearly is enjoyed for its own sake while he embraces violence. The pop culture that Alex indulges in: fashion, slang, singing in the rain, etc., are all a part of the world and culture that Alex is shaped by. Although it is apparent that the society as a whole in Clockwork is not as enamored by ultraviolence and sexual deviancy as Alex proves to be, they are equally as fascinated by pop culture. Alex, in one scene, is wearing a lavish Victorian-era gentleman's jacket, beset by a cravat, top hat and walking cane whilst strolling through a lavishly decorated music shop. He wanders about, seemingly entranced by the culture and music before him. He sees a beautiful blonde girl, licking on an overtly phallic candy, and begins his courtship on her. The music and culture that surrounds Alex is an edifice built over his love of violence and sex. In Full Metal Jacket, Kubrick appears to have turned violence into a trivial affair. The first half of the movie focuses on the training and programming (of what appears to be) innocent young men. The Drill Sergeant constantly belittles them in a comical manner, all the while instilling in them a hatred that evolves into an inherent violence. Kubrick's view of trivial violence can be seen his the various marches that the Marines (Mickey Mouse marches) go through, as well as chants such as, “This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun.” That chant exemplifies Kubrick's notion that violence was becoming degraded in an overtly phallic enterprise. Francis Ford Coppola reduced violence to something more trivial, in a similar fashion to that of Kubrick in his film Apocalypse Now. In this film, the Colonel chooses to go surfing amidst a hail of gunfire. Coppola reduced violence to a playful and an atypical being. The reduction of violence to a sexual being in Full Metal Jacket allowed the recruits to become programmed in a way that made them feel comfortable when told to become violence, bloodthirsty individuals. Barry and the recruits were not originally violent beings; rather they were programmed by the culture they felt so captivated by to become violent.

Symmetry and hyperstylized sets are a defining characteristic in Kubrick's films, as they lure the audience into feeling some premeditated emotion (felt by Kubrick as essential to gather proper meaning from the framing of the shot). In Full Metal Jacket, for example, the bloody mess of the left side of the latrines is juxtaposed by the ordered sterile white right side after Pyle shoots himself and the Sergeant. The beginning of the shot an eerie music building suspense as the camera opens up the latrine scene. Ordered, sterile and white; the viewer is lured into feeling a sense of order and security. What can go wrong, they (the characters) are in a military barracks, protected by their orderly and brash Sergeant. Next thing you know, the Sergeant is dead and Gomer Pyle shoots himself-freeing his soul of the anguish and defabrication of conscience caused by the military, and subsequently war. In Barry Lyndon, which is set in Victorian Era Europe, the costuming is all very extravagant and hyperstylized. The scenery and panoramic framing of shots in this film all attribute to the feeling of serenity and a sense of order within a world (Redmond Barry's) of disorder and violence. Clockwork Orange featured many shots, in a fashion similar to that of Barry Lyndon, that had extravagant set designs and costuming paired with very elegant and sometimes ominous musical accompaniment. The premeditated stylizing of each shot in Kubrick's films allow for a story in which there is a vestibule of violence and disorder within a larger body of order and highly stylized environments.

17. Who is HAL (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic Computer)? The rumor used to be if you shift to the next letter forward from each in the name, it is IBM - it was meant to symbolize technology, and IBM was the biggest computer company in the world at the time. This has been denied by the author and director. The IBM logo can be seen, as it is actually spelled, on equipment shown in the film.

2001 was seen by a guy I used to know, now long dead, who watched it on every drug he could get - acid, weed, speed, mescaline, etc. His final verdict was that it is best enjoyed on hash, and a bottle of wine.

Needless to say, the best place to see it is on a real movie screen in a theater.

18. I love Kubrick. he was truly one of the greatest directors of all time. 2001 is a good but slow film, yes. the first time you see it though is the greatest . a clockwork orange, full metal jacket and the shining are some of his best films too.

19. #19 MoonJuice, May 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2009

That was my favorite sequence of the movie.

It's an interesting piece of work but I don't know if I would really consider it a 'good' film as much as a flat-out exercise in style. I think a lot of its popularity comes from the fact that it's, far and away, the most abstract/art-house blockbuster that Hollywood has ever produced. Nothing like this would ever, EVER, be released on the scale in which 2001 was. IMO film really could have used more HAL and less drawn-out, over-stylized shots of men entering doors and climbing ladders.

I'm hardly a Kubrick fanatic or anything but for my money, Strangelove and The Shining are both superior films(maybe even Eyes..).

20. I guess that's realy up to interpretation.

In the book, which is better than the movie in my opinion, his life is being reversed so he can be reborn as the alien life which is the Monolith.