2001 Audi TT FWD 1.8t engine rebuild w/ big turbo

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by midnittoke, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Spoiler and tires are worth it Imo. The early TT's are notorious for being tail happy.

2. Spoiler wouldn't be very effective on the street. Suspension would be more beneficial over a spoiler.

3. Yea true. But it would be good for quick lane changes at high speeds, which I would assume you would be doing a lot of in a 400bhp TT.

4. What fuel are you planning on running?

5. Most likely pump gas or e85. Nobody uses race gas for a 400hp build.

6. lol if you are worried about spinning out because of quick lane changes chances are you should not have a drivers license.

7. yeah, I was going to recommend e85, can see up to 35 hp gain over regular pump with right tuning and parts

8. It's possible to make way more then 35 hp on E85. E85 is 115 octane roughly but contains less energy then gasoline.

9. true the biggest downfall i've seen with e85 (when properly setup for it) is the fuel mileage sucks so you have to fill up way more often

10. Well I think the biggest downfall is having to use gigantic injectors. When you get past 1500cc injectors a lot of times they struggle to accurately meter out small doses of fuel which in turn would hurt drivability. This problem could be fixed by running small primary injectors and larger secondary but most stand alone ECU's with twin injector capabilities are usually expensive. I'd much rather run E85 then pump gas w/ a meth injection kit due to the fear of the meth pump failing or running out of meth.

11. UPDATE: daily driver was flooded and lost my laptop camera and other belongings :mad: Good news, have full coverage and waiting for reimbursement :hello: I will be completely finishing the car out, and the engine is back from machine shop.

List:
    Precision Billet Ball Bearing 5857 turbo
    Precision IC
    Eurodyne tuning - with MAF and emissions removed
    630cc injectors
    Wavetrac LSD
    Transmission bolt kit
    Koni coilovers- with new bushings and ball joints
    H&R front and rear sway bars
    AEM truboost controller
    Tial WG and BOV
    Custom intake mani w/ 75mm throttle body
    Wideband 02 sensor
    boost, oil pressure, a/f, egt gauges- AEM
    Custom 3'' DP and exhaust

getting new camera soon so i can retake some pictures.

12. Because this will be driven a lot more since i dont have my daily. I am not going to install the w/m injection for the same fear..

13. *is still awaiting pics patiently*

14. #54 Spacepope, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    Good choice on the Precision turbo. They make good stuff. I'm hoping to remove my 20g in favor of a 6262, but I need to get more valvetrain stuff before I can do that. Probably on my next motor rebuild... Forget all these haters talking about fwd like it's a sin. I'm personally no fan either, but this is clearly a build that's all about the boost, and I can get behind that no matter what the layout. A FWD boosted car is still fast in the right hands. And no offense, but no, dumbass a wing will not help the aero AT ALL on a TT. It likely won't be going fast enough unless it's on a track, and if it's on a track, there are bigger troubles to worry about with a 400hp TT.

Man, mod ADD is getting to me. My dream is to build a SC400/A70 Supra with a 1UZ-FE with individual throttle bodies and standoff injection. mmmmmmmmm..... :smoke:

Edit: If I may ask, if you're going through all this trouble, why not do a quattro swap also?

15. I don't understand the animosity towards the fwd? With electronic boost controller and good tune, the car will be sub 400 for daily driving but has the power on tap if I ever feel the need.. Torque steer should be minimal with transmission and suspension upgrades (already planned). I think the car will bring a lot to the table and be a very fun car to drive. The TT stock with 180hp is already fun, but with boosting capabilities that would give plentyof v8s a good run and handling performance of a go cart (boost turned down) I don't think I'll be disappointed becuz it's fwd a

16. Not going to make 400 with 2.5in exhaust.

17. #57 midnittoke, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    Starting with 2.5" catback to avoid torque loss, can always put 3in catback if the 2.5 is too restrictive

Also, the way the exhaust patterns in the rear leaves very little room if lowered and 3'', hence if the 2.5'' is too restrictive I will convert to a 3inch w/ resonator and run a shorter length to avoid the hassle of fabbing the end.. I may end up running a short 3'' now that i think about it. It would save a lot of fabrication time

18. turboback son, catless

19. Wait... Precision turbo.... From precision turbo and engine?

20. #60 GoneWithTheWeed, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Why not? I've seen hondas that run well over 400whp and have a 2.5in turbo back no cat and have.no problems with restriction