20 zips for about $30

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bravedave, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Hey,
    New here but have been growing for a couple years.

I use a simple effective method that I have modified but was handed down to me from a 30 yr grower.

I buy big-box-store peat and mix it with medium chunk perlite. $20 fills my 6, 5gl poly bags. My nutrients are Jack's Citrus (20-10-20), Epson, K2SO4. and I do treat roots at transplant with Myca.

I feed the Jacks at 1/2 tsp every water (1, 1.5lb tub lasts me 2 harvests) Epson starts at 1/4 tsp every water about 2 waterings before flip and continues to end (plain water last 3 waterings) Potassium Sulfate added in varied amounts dependent on stage of flower. I would tell you when and how much, but then I would have to kill you.
    I am in a 4'x5.5' grow space under a 600w MH/HPS. I run the MH through stretch when I switch to HPS. ($$ mentioned in title does not include electricity ;) )
    I use spring water from a roadside artesian well that PHed high but works great and must have enough Ca as CaMg mucked up a grow while switching to just Mg (Epson) smoothed things out.
    I run 2 classic strains. A bubblegum kush that has been being cloned since the early 90s and smells so much like bubblegum during flower it should come with a Bazooka Joe cartoon. The other is also a classic Paralyzer that knocks everyones socks off.
    Generally, I top the whole plant when it reaches 15"-18" and LST it horizontial. I get 3-5 main colas that way.
    I average 20 zips per harvest and that is with dumping any bud smaller than a nickel into my hash making stash.
    Whatcha think? Personally find it a bit humorous the amount of $$ people here spend on their nutes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I use compost lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. 20170221_211219.jpg mmmmmm

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not anymore nope bought a ton of seeds comfrey seeds alfalfa seeds all going in this spring. And outdoors I use compost as well so I'm breaking the chain of buying what can be achieved by work and dedication.

• Like Like x 2
  5. You can use whole corn germinated for a few days once it sprouts about the length other the corn kernel pour it into your crop. Feeds the worms and soil keep a cover crop trim it back worms eat that as well. There is a cycle of life in the woods replicate that and it will work to your advantage. No till section will help you get started

6. Compost worms get a worm bin you can speed up compost with fermentation process
    here is a link for that method if you want speedy results or build a compost bin.

7. I've never bought nutes, always been given them for free by friends that just grow one crop. They then realise how quickly those jars of buds disappear once you stop growing haha

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not all have the space I understand that aspect too. Just saying if you can..... try

9. And a chicken coop that's next this spring as well. Chicken feathers and chicken shit all a great range in compost pile.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Egg shells vinegar calcium carbonate with Epsom salts

11. It will cost something but that something is time and stuff you'd normally throw in the trash anyway. Worms up front but they multiply depending on space and amount.....you may have more than you want. Grow a garden use the scraps in the pile. I find myself raking my yard after I mow it now just for grass trimmings. Old potting soil right in the compost. It's all recycled and saves tons of money....shit there are people out there making money off it right?

12. Hey man, I'm glad that system works for you! Not everyone here has the time or willingness to enter such an endeavor. My garden is as low maintenance and low energy as possible. I spend a few hours a week maximum, most of the time not even that much. Paying the $250 a year in nutrients for me is completely worth it as I've got a feed schedule that I can stick to 100% without guessing at all. To me, a couple hundred bucks a year in nutrient costs is negligible considering how much I yield, especially considering I re-use my coco.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Got any dank bubblegum seeds to share? Haha, i really enjoyed how straight forward you were with feeding and giving the best approximate cost. Thank you for sharing ill try this method out to the T sometime in the near future

lets get our grow on

• Like Like x 1
  14. #15 Bravedave, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    I already have a more than fulltime job, and a bunch of animals so my grow is getting all the dedication it is going to get. My peat and chemical's simplicity and consistency I think would be hard to beat by your tub of rotting food. Thanks but no thanks.

15. Your plants do not grow on NPK alone. There are 42 different nutrients that plants use. How do bottled nutrients deliver that? All of these fertilizers leach down into the ground water. By using rock minerals and compost you can help eliminate that, feed and build the microbiology of your soil which in turn cycle nutrients from your raw inputs like kelp, crab, and rock minerals. Microbes love minerals and minerals have loads of nutrients in an unavailable form.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Start mixing your produce scrap inputs with lots and lots of old autumn leaves - and I'd try and get it more air than a plastic container can give.

Not to get off track OP.

J

• Like Like x 2
  17. time will pass regardless if you believe or not that pile of food will be better soil than chemical wastes that contribute to water pollution.
    Jerry that's just a collection bin lol I take it out weekly to my pile out back.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I add old soil to it and horse bedding straw mainly

• Like Like x 1
  19. #20 Bravedave, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    My plants grow just fine. Actually better than fine. When I harvest they are a sticky, stinky, and beautiful. My cure produces a smooth and tasty smoke and when I walk into a room and open my little Witz joint holder everyone there follows their nose to me. Jack's Citrus obviously is not limited to NPK nor does it come in a bottle. It is water soluble so you supply the water (and unlike many of the nutes people use I am not paying for that water)
    That said...I grow indoors and while there are times where my plants don't suck back up their own run off and I dump it on my driveway even that is seldom and it is minuscule in comparison to the salt/urea etc they throw on the roads around here to melt snow and/or keep down the dust on the dirt roads much less the farms I am surrounded by. Even with them, my well water tests fine. So no, I would bet my total "splash" on the environment is no worse (if not better) than yours. Or is your runoff drinkable?
    Oh and I had a worm farm for over a decade. I supplied myself and friends with bait. (Nothing beats rabbit chit for worm farm bedding, btw)
    Bottom line, in the environment argument, indoor MJ growers are not even close to being a problem.
    Lastly, this post was/is about simplicity, consistency of result, and the cost to achieve success...and not the organic vs. chemical debate. I spend less than $120 a year on 4 harvests that net me 80+ zips in a 4x6 room under a 600w light.. How do you stack up against that?