20 ways to stay safe and secure outdoors.

Discussion in 'Security' started by tokeymctokems, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I am really big on security, I was in the military and most of my family are or were at one point law enforcement, on that note I thought I would share some security tips for growing outdoors. If you have never grown outdoors I suggest giving this a quick read through. While nothing is guaranteed following these rules will significantly lessen your chances of getting caught or hurt. This is geared towards small growers as well, the logistics of a large grow make some of these tips unworkable.

1) I would keep your grow site at least 2 miles from any home or business. Even if you are only growing a couple of plants. Hunters are often offered rewards for turning in found grows so stay away from game and hiking trails as well as camp sites. Growing right on the edge of a rivers, creeks, or lakes is not recommended as those are popular areas for hikers, hunters, and fishermen as well as fish and game officers.

2) Try not to let people see you going to and from your grow site - a car parked on the on the side of the road weekly can attract attention quickly - a cop will wonder why same car parks in the same area on the edge of the woods weekly.

3) Blend in - dress for hiking, camping, hunting - try to keep anything you need in a hiking pack, don't let anybody see you toting grow equipment into the forest.

4) Don't take your cell phone to your grow site - if you get a call it can possibly register your location and be used as evidence against you.

5) Put duct tape on the bottom of your shoes so you don't leave footprints, those can be used as evidence against you.

6) Also if possible wear a mask when approaching and working your grow site, law enforcement will use game cameras to catch the owner of a site that was found. Cover any distinctive markings or tattoos.

7) Maintain situational awareness - On the way up to your grow site stop periodically on the way to your grow site, watch and listen if you are being tracked you will hear them. You can detour if you are pretty sure you are being followed, you can come back later or even another day.

8) Know the area before starting your grow, have a good idea of how often people walk around the area, know several ways in and out of your grow site and of course some way to remember where your grow site is without leaving a trail and without incriminating yourself (having maps or GPS in your possession with your grow site marked on it)

9) Beware of helicopters and light aircraft, keep your eyes to the sky when driving to and from your grow site, look up often when at your grow site if you spot aircraft that are loitering above you on the way to your grow site just chill under some trees till they go away - watch for them to come back though. If you think you have been spotted by aircraft at your grow site bug out to cover - make sure you stay hidden in dense vegetation and move away from your grow site - only return to your vehicle or home when you are sure they are gone.
    (note: don't do this for every thing you see in the sky - but if you are in the middle of nowhere and a light airplane or a helo is hovering over you then you should at least be aware of their presence)

10) When you approach your grow site stop as you are just barely in sight of it, then circle around your grow site looking for anything out of place, this will prevent you from being surprised at your grow site and you will have a chance to spot game cameras set up to catch you or stake outs.

11) Leave nothing, not even footprints. Take all of your garbage out with you and dispose of it in a place far from your grow site AND house.

12) Anything that stays at the grow site (which should be as little as possible) will need to be a natural color (buckets, fencing/netting) nothing sticks out like a white bucket or a bright orange plastic fencing. Don't grow plants in rows or patterns - these are easily spotted from above.

13) Also if you use buckets then wear gloves when handling them and anything that stays at the grow site that can hold a print.

14) Don't grow on your own property, that ties a grow straight to you.

15) Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to and from your grow, in the woods things get really dark really quickly, if you plan on doing anything at night in the woods then you need to know the area like the back of your hands and then I still don't recommend it.

16) Know your local animals and vegetation, if there are bears in your area it may be be a good idea to have mace on you. Know how to identify poisonous snakes and plants (such as poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac)

17) If you have a good dog take it with you - dogs are great early warning system for trouble, just make sure it will not attract attention (barking at everything) and cover any droppings the dog leaves.

18) Know your rights, if you have incriminating items on your person know your rights such as right to refuse a search.

19) Don't be too predictable, change up when you show up at your grow a bit - be hard to track down and take different routes to and from your grow.

20) And the cardinal rule - TELL NOBODY ABOUT YOUR GROW.

Well that is all i can think of for now if anybody has anything else to add feel free. Stay safe stoners.

2. I strongly disagree with rule 8, I would NEVER put my grows location in my GPS lol.

3. No No rule number 8 says

know several ways in and out of your grow site and of course some way to remember where your grow site is without leaving a trail and without incriminating yourself (having maps or GPS in your possession with your grow site marked on it)

I mean memorize the location so you don't need to have incriminating maps and GPS on you - sorry if that was not clear.

4. Good stuff in here.. thanks for taking the time.

I just wanted to mention that our face shines in sunlight. Avoid looking up. Aircraft from a distance away will see the sudden shimmer of a face. Also, I wanted to re-iterate what you said about avoiding lakes and streams. MJ eradication in remote outdoor locations starts with flying streams and bodies of water looking for the tail tell sign's you mention. Just throwing it out there.

In High school growing up we got a tip of a cartel growing in the national forest close to our location. We followed the lake/stream up like most hikers do and found the lines which lead us to the treasure. We filled a van to the top and trucked it away.

~HD

5. You are absolutely right I did forget to mention that our face does stick out like a sore thumb in the light. If you wear a mask like I suggested you will do much better - So look up often until you see an aircraft then duck to some cover and see if they go away, Only look up if you have to and even then try to stay in cover.

6. Damn man, this is so incredibly helpful. I'm sooo excited for this years outdoor grow.

7. #21 have fun

8. Thanks man, I figured everybody was getting ready to pick their spring planting spots so it was a good idea to get this up early.

9. Holy shit, you are crazy for going anywhere near a cartel's grow op... Then you ripped it? Wow, you're lucky you are not decapitated.

10. We didn't know it was a cartel grow until after. We were very lucky.

11. great tips realy good :)

12. I agree with the TELL NO ONE rule. Literally, don't even tell your closest friend. He will start takin some nugs off one by one, and he will most likeley brag to his friends "Yea dude one of my friends grows, you know you (says your name) is?" "Oh yea i know him!". Then they guy tells some other guys. Thats how shit spreads. TELL NO ONE. My dad told his best friend back when he was in his 20's, and his entire plant was stolen...

13. Don't Forget about blending in with your clothes, not to say wear camo, but natural colors like brown, dark green.
    I would like to add for legal gardens;
    Have paperwork on site
    Pick a location that will be hard to smell come fall, also knowing wind direction that time of year can help
    Locked gate and high fencing is a must
    NO booby traps, law enforcement would not be happy
    Adding barbed wire around the inside fence parimeter
    Neighbors are curious and any suspicious new work done(like security) should have an explanation. (building a large fence for a large dog)
    If anyone can see you going to the site, have a reason besides visiting your plants,(going to the back of the barn again to feed the chickens) or go at night. Better yet have an ongoing project nearby, a vegetable garden, building a shed etc...
    Video baby moniters are your best friend. get a couple and run an extension cord if you have to.
    This is only based on my opinion from a previous grow.

14. I would buy a ghillie suit if my grow was in walking distance, hide from them hellichoppers if you have to.

15. Nice idea except when you emerge from the woods it could be quite difficult to explain, or if you run into hikers on the way to or from your grow site. I would stick with clothes that blend in but are fairly normal for a hiker (you will probably be carrying a pack with supplies in it so a hiker is a good cover).

16. #17 yungkashsk, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    removed

17. 6-7 Plants could stink up the area in full flower. If you have neighbors withing 100 yards I would be very wary of growing there. If your neighbors see you digging around in there and somebody finds your plants that does tie the grow to you. If you can I would look for somewhere more secluded. If you got a sativa you could be looking at plants that outgrow the height of the weeds and become pretty obvious. If that is your only area to grow I would do all your work when nobody is around or at night (don't use a flashlight or anything that will make you stick out like a sore thumb). Make sure to put duct tape on the sole of your shoes so you don't leave a print.

Make sure you don't leave any of your stuff behind at the grow site that they can lift prints off of and make sure that when you go to your site there is nobody around, I would also wear a mask or something when tending your plants in case the police set up a camera trap or if somebody walks up on you, you may be able to make a break for it and not be ID'ed.

Good Luck.