20 gallon pots vs 5 gallon pots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by fgj, Nov 1, 2015.

1. So I have a 4x4 tent and I was wondering what the benefits of having 3 or 4 plants in 15-20 gallon pots vs. having 6 plants in 5 gallon pots. They are under 1200 watts of hps and in fox farms soil. What kind of yields could I see out of such a large pot indoors. Would less plants make for a bigger yield in such big pots or be less efficient? Thanks for any opinions guys and gals!

2. i cannot see any point in a 20 gal pot on an indoor grow...pot size allows for bigger growth and in a tent you are gonna be limited by the size of your space....unless you plant to constantly wrestle monster sized plants down to the ground to keep them in some kind of check, i would forget 20 gal pots...5 is plenty

3. Well how about 7 or 10 gallon pots?

4. in a tent grow, or any indoor grow, I would go with the 5 gallon pots, it's easier to move them around when you need to, I've learned that more plants doesn't mean more yield in fact it's been the opposite for me I got more from three plants than I did with five, better light penetration with more room is the key, plus it's less work, more doesn't always mean more.

5. Thats why I was going towards 3 or 4 in 10 gallon pots with a longer veg time instead of a shit ton of 5 gallon pots I have 75 watts per square foot so the light coverage is good I just want some monster plants ya feel me

6. I think anything over 10 gal in these conditions yields diminishing returns. 4 plants, 600w, 4x4 -- 10 gal pots with organic soil, 5 gal with synthetic feeds (hempy, dwc)

7. I been thinking the same thing. Instead of 2-3 medium plants I might do 1 monster in a huge pot

8. If your tent it 4x4 just do two in either 5 or 7 gallon pots, FIM them twice and then scrog them up and youll have a 4x4 area of nothing but tops. And itll be A LOT easier to manage.

9. Yeah it's a lot of work with what I have now which is 8 in 5 gallon pots tons of tops but tons of work lol

10. 5 gallons of soil should support a 2'x2' plant without problems. I'd opt for 4 plants, each in a 5 gallon pot. If 7 gallons is an option then you could do that, save you having to water so often. I wouldn't go any higher than 7 though

11. Sounds like a plan I wonder how much a 7 gallon pot would increase my yields with less plants in there

12. as long as the area is adequately filled it doesn't matter if you have 1 plant or 20, the yield will be about the same.

What you don't want is gaps between plants when they are flowering. If there is light shining on the floor then the plants aren't getting it

13. Wouldn't yield be better with more optimal conditions for fewer plants compared to a densely packed jungle of plants aha?

14. Last time I used a 5 gallon she stood right at 4ft maxed my tent out

15. that would depend on what is optimal. Having gaps is a missed opportunity for a plant or branch that could have been there to use that wasted light.

Yeah I guess you could have a plant that is too thick, but I think you would struggle to achieve that.

ScrOG gives the best yields because it's completely fills the area with a dense even canopy.

This is one plant and it's about as dense as I can get it, and it yielded really well

[​IMG]

Well over 100 nugs like these

[​IMG]

16. That looks really good man pretty plants. I was planning on doing a good amount of low stress training to like six plants in 7-10 gal pots. Plus I've had them in vegetative growth since September 18th and I don't plan to flip them to 12/12 till I harvest at the end of the month. Do you think I'll get a good yield from this or should I toss an extra plant or two into the equation?

17. There's not really enough information there to make any sort of yield guess. But as long as you fill the area adequately and keep the plants healthy you should get a good yield

18. I wasn't looking for an estimate just wondering if less is more you know. Although I'm using AN for nutes and I'm using promix for 4 plants and fox farms for 3 others in a 4x4 tent with 2x600 watt hps lights in air cooled hoods. Temps range from mid 70's to low 80's Fahrenheit