20 Gallon Outdoor Grow Root Bound?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Southern_ON_CA, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for advice. Growing “Rockstar” Strain outdoors in Southern Ontario, Canada. . I’m in early flower- (August 15th), But not sure if my plant is root bound, but I have roots growing out the drainage holes of my 20 Gallon Pot. Should I transplant? Add soil around the roots? Or leave it. Currently looking healthy- measuring approx 6ft x 4ft with no issues.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey, good looking plant. You won't have any issue in that pot other than more frequent watering/feeding. You can leave it or transplant it but something that size would be a pig to transplant. I'm in Niagara and have a couple ladies outdoors as well hopefully we can finish them without issue.
    20190814_094305.jpg 20190810_131415.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the response. Your plants look great too. I’ll just leave it and cross my fingers. I don’t mind the watering/feeding- this girl is thirsty and hungry!
    This is my first time be able to monitor the grow cycle- usually I’m in a corn field. I feel like it’s a bit behind in flowering for being middle of August. I assume you are thinking the same as me as far as finishing. Maybe we will be blessed with a late frost considering we didn’t have much of a spring/early summer.
    Thanks again, my mind is at ease now that I see your pics

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you have any tips? I feel like your look a bit further along in flowering. Could be the strain. Mine is hybrid- think 70% indica/ 30% sativa. Can I still prune the inner branches and shoots- or would be best to leave it and let it do it’s thing?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. You can if you want but I just leave mine and let them do there thing. Mine are hungry and thirsty as well. Drinking 3 gallons each in the morning and another 1.5 late afternoon. I have 2 strains here a sour cheese from clone that has been flowering a couple weeks and a tutankhamun from seed (bigger plant) that is a week behind the SC. Hoping for an early to mid October harvest with no rains because these girls are too big to get through my shed door. Here's a close up of the soir cheese as shes just starting to stack pistels up.
    20190815_100726.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Niiiice. Are you in 20 Gallon too? And you mean they soaking up 3 gallons each in the morning? I’ve been sticking to the 10% of container rule- but Was expecting to be away for a few days a hit it with 3-4 gallons- and it bushed right out with very little droppiness in the leaves. Maybe I should up my watering a bit. How much water you give when you feed it? I bought fox farm open sesame, beastie budz, and cha Ching. I just started my first cycle of Open Sesame on Monday- it’s 5-45-19 and for early flower. I’m hesitant to give it to the others that are in the ground and not a pot from the forums I have read- but I’ll likely hit them too at a small dose and look for nute burn. What nutes are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is the best pic I could get- windy out. Just starting now- hopefully the flowering takes off from here. Been sitting for a week in limbo just waiting- so I’m happy to see it finally progressing. Hopefully it finishes- but seems behind. Which is the consensus when I talk to my buddies about theirs too.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roots coming out of drain holes is not an indication of being root bound. It could of simply been searching for moisture in whatever it sits in or the ground

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Nice!
    I'm in 15 gallon fabric pots so they dry up a bit quicker. Yes they each drink 3 gallons in the morning and on hot days I will give them another 1.5 gallons around 4/5 o'clock. I'm all organic and I use gaia green dry amendments in my soil and top dress with them once a month. I also use fish emulsion 5-2-2 for veg and have a 0-10-10 for flower and just made a bat guano tea that is 0-13-1 and have top dressed with worm castings/homemade composts. When I feed I give them the same 3 gallons of fish emulsion and I have been feeding half strength every other watering.

11. Looks the same as my tutankhamun and yes compared to last year I'm a week behind but everything seems to be with that non existent spring we had

12. Now that it's entered into the flowering stage any root growth from here on, should be, at-best, minimal.

13. Roots will be ok they'll air prune themselves i wouldnt worry

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

14. I was always a woodsman myself..its odd seeing em everyday..

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dont ever transplant in flowering, youll never make it to the end if you stunt them by accident, like previously stated theyre just searching around for some moisture...as for bud progression thats a strain issue so don't compare your girls to any others youll be dissapointed, seems like your doing well just keep it going and check the moisture a little more often as they get bigger! Honestly the girl could eat the whole pot of soil and keep going no problem...if it became a problem id razor the bottom off my pot before id ever transplant being the time of year it is and thats still a bad option haha dont stress them or yourself alls well!

Sent from my LM-X210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. I have one twice as big in a 15 gallon pot.. Its rootbound bud.

Yours on the otherhand looks fine, no signs of rootbound yet but i'm sure its getting there.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Thanks for all the comments and advice. I left it in the 20 gallon pot, and so far still looking good. Finally has started to flower/bud. Should I be plucking the fan leaves that are slowly turning yellow? Will it help or harm the overall health and bud development? My research online is contradictory.
    Also, attached some pics of my ladies planted direct into soil- and they are much larger- but much further behind in flowering. Any advice for those?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yes just pluck them as they turn yellow because the plant is done with them and they will die and fall off eventually

19. I thought my 20 gallon pot plants where rootbound but your plants are way bigger than mine, I been loosing a lot of fan leaves at the bottom , could it be because underwatering ? I think they are just starting to enter flowering

Attached Files: