20/20 Marijuana 12 year old kid

Discussion in 'General' started by just_a_ninja, Jul 24, 2010.

1. #1 just_a_ninja, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
    Ok i was just watching 20/20 and they had a segment on a mother giving her 12 year old kid marijuana. The child developed OCD around the age of six. The mother said that she has tried all kinds of pharmaceutical medication along with therapy and nothing seemed to help. She then decided to try marijuana. She lives in California and started to use a drop like applicant to deliver the THC. She said she is not getting her son high because of the level of THC is so low. The child's psychiatrist tho thinks that the marijuana may be making the OCD worse. He thinks that it may just be like sedating the child and not actually treating the condition.

I can see where he is coming from, but if it is the only thing that helps this kid live somewhat normal and able to deal with his OCD, I do not see anything wrong with it. The mother said the child lost all of his friends and even went through a high depression state where he wanted to die. He so young and if it helps him cope then why not.

Also the interviewer asked a doctor "When is to young to use marijuana?". The doctor had a very interesting response and got me thinking. He said "When is it to young to use aspirin, to use penicillin?" We look at pharmaceutical drugs as completely acceptable in society, even with the horrendous side-effects, but when marijuana is brought into view, it is viewed as a bad drug. I think that advancements will be dramatically slowed unless we can change, as a society, how we view the plant.

Sorry i know its kinda long but i was wondering what you guys think on the topic of the kid and how long it will take society to change their view.

2. #2 reverendmaynard, Jul 24, 2010
    I read the article earlier today. I think that's an excellent point on the doctor's side. fuck the therapist tho if that kid would've rather died than deal with his ocd, then anything that makes him have a life again should be viewed as a miracle.

3. The thing about having such a young person use MMJ is the externals... basically he needs to understand that it's a medication and if he abuses it he could potentially make his problems worse. If he loses sight of why he's using it in the first place it could all be for nothing. Especially at that age you start to get into kids using it to get high which can really make him want to use it in such a way.

Things such as this need to be handled with the utmost care.

4. Despite the hippies view of the harmless marijuana, when used as medicine,it will have the same side-effects as medicine. It effects people differently, especially children. The child should be monitered and medication should be changed if neccessary. Cannabis can be used medicinally but its not the cure-all drug but one of the few that has little side-effects.

Some kids can benifit greatly from it, but some cant. It is medicine and should be treated as such

5. #5 reverendmaynard, Jul 24, 2010
    I guess rambling, paranoia and the munchies aren't the only side effects of marijuana as a medication, but It can't be worse than "vomiting, heart attack, stroke or even death." Some over the counter drugs can cause amenorrhea. thats eff'd up

editing because I do see your point. When I was a kid I was highly susceptible to febrile seizures, I got them all the time, and a lot of medicine made it worse. When you're that young you do need to me extra cautious, especially with a drug like THC where there's not enough research on the substance as a medicinal treatment in people of all ages. All i'm sayin is maybe this incident should inspire people to look at weed in a more open minded way, at least for the research potential.

6. ^ I do agree with that. with the side-effects i meant that some are horrible like causing death or cancer or something and to my knowledge marijuana does have side-effects and does effect people differently but i am not aware of any that are extremely harmful. I just think that it can be less harmful then other drugs to treat the same condition. but it should be handled with the utmost care and consideration

7. Like I said, its one of the few drugs that have some side-effects, but nothing really serious. You know. Like...death.

It has been known to bring out some mental illnesses like paranoia or schizophrenia but these cases are few and far between. Cannabis has not been known to be the cause of any of these

8. I side with the doc and mother on this one, if your looking to heal something dont give them something that will cure the problem but cause 200 others..* MAY CAUSE* diahrea , migrane , vomitg , liver failure , cancer , death.. i dont see any of these written on the back of a joint or on the side of a bag.

9. I dont know about you, my plastic sandwich bags come with a surgeon general's warning...

10. Your dealer never called you into his/her office to discuss all the possible side effects, long and short term?