2 weeks of total darkness at end of flower

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ben Franklin420, Nov 22, 2011.

1. I'm planning on a two week vacation in mid December when my girls will be on week 8 of flower. What would happen if I leave them in total darkness during that time? I'm doing this to avoid light burn.

CFL closet grow in FFoF
    Negative pressure available from two big case fans

What's the longest anyone has let or heard about letting there plants in darkness before at the end of flowering?

What were the results?

What are my possible pros?

What are the possible cons?

2. Uhhh that would not be good. Will they be ready at that point? If so, then I guess it would be ok, I would worry about mold on the buds though, so keep the humidity in check and get several fans in there to circulate the air. It's too risky harvesting them the day before you go because you don't want them drying for two weeks, most likely.

If you are NOT ready for harvest at week 8, just move the lights up a good amount and keep it 12/12. At that point in flower they will not be growing too much vertically, so just move the light up enough that there's no way they'll get too close to it.

I've only heard of people doing it for a day or two, and it's a risky move, but if you were really adamant about doing this, it could work. Another idea is to defoliate most of the plants beforehand to free up some space in the canopy to allow airflow. I'm not really sure, but the mold would be my biggest concern.

3. Dude just go and buy some timers at like home depot

4. [quote name='"Ismokemyown"']Dude just go and buy some timers at like home depot[/quote]

Uhh...this has nothing to do with needing timers. I already have one.

Thanks for the awesome advice though!

5. [quote name='"stevieblaze21"']Uhhh that would not be good. Will they be ready at that point? If so, then I guess it would be ok, I would worry about mold on the buds though, so keep the humidity in check and get several fans in there to circulate the air. It's too risky harvesting them the day before you go because you don't want them drying for two weeks, most likely.

If you are NOT ready for harvest at week 8, just move the lights up a good amount and keep it 12/12. At that point in flower they will not be growing too much vertically, so just move the light up enough that there's no way they'll get too close to it.

I've only heard of people doing it for a day or two, and it's a risky move, but if you were really adamant about doing this, it could work. Another idea is to defoliate most of the plants beforehand to free up some space in the canopy to allow airflow. I'm not really sure, but the mold would be my biggest concern.[/quote]

Well if they're ready by then, then I'll most likely just harvest. But since mine is sativa dominant, I doubt it. If I were to harvest before I leave, what might be the best way to dry over 2 weeks unmonitored?

If I just simply move the lights up I'm afraid she'll stretch out, but I'll make that decision later depending on her growing characteristics over the next several weeks. I've moved my lights an inch almost everyday lately.

I only have one gal flowering with two big case fans so I'm not too concerned about mold.How would I defoliate like you've mentioned?

Thanks for your input stevie! I really appreciate it.

6. I think you will be ok in darkness. I would cut off most or all of the fan leaves if you will be home when darkness starts. If you can and want to, it might be good to use two timers and flower for a couple more days and then have it stop. If you do this, I would leave more leaves on.

7. Two weeks with no light is going to stop all growth during the end of flowering.

Very bad ideal that will lower the quality and amount of your harvest.

Some people keep the plants in darkness for a couple days and then harvest. Two weeks is way to long and will have negative effects on final product.

8. Two weeks of dark are gonna fuck em up I guarantee...you need to harvest early..two days you could get through two weeks I guarantee problems..they will stretch id bet my numbnutts on it..youll deffinitly get mold..just harvest early enough that they hang for three days then jar em...maybe you should hang em for five days..youd rather less bud than no bid..no one can check em for you?
    I dont.know for sure that theyll be ruined but I do know theres no pro to this scenareo

9. If you want to guinea pig your plants in the last 2 weeks of flower GO FOR IT!

It's your money, time, and heartache, I just want to see the results! :)

10. If they are Sativa dominant I doubt they will be done by the time you get back, I've never had a Sativa done in 10 weeks. Honestly I'd let them grow for the two weeks you're gone, in my opinion, if you chop before you leave then try wont be done and the darkness won't help any. What strain? Got any pics?

11. Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like leaving them to expirement for 2 weeks won't be the best idea. I really don't want to guinea pig my first grow, I just need to know how to handle a 2 week vacation this far into flower. Below are some pictures from a few days ago.

ForumRunner_20111123_132752.png

ForumRunner_20111123_132809.png

ForumRunner_20111123_132933.png

12. I've had a timer die on me, so my lights in one cab stayed off for over 2 weeks right at the end of flowering. What happens is the plant reverts to vegetative growth, but the leaves are bright yellow, since they aren't photosynthesizing and sort of weird looking because they're bud leaves re-vegged.

Harvest early.

-Loki

13. Gotta agree with Loki, unless you have someone you trust to water them... How far are they along now?

If it was my grow I would have water ready for someone to come in and give them 2 waterings with plenty of water to hold them over till you get back and give the girls some space to grow from the light.

Good luck man, let us know how it turns out

14. #15 Ben Franklin420, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    Loki,

You seem to the first one I've heard of who has actually been through this process. Some thoughts were that I could home to closet full of buds with lots of terpene or in actuality a decrease in quality and yield.

Thank you for providing some actual insight!

I'm going to spend some time thinking who I could ask to possibly water them while I'm gone.

Otherwise I'll be left to harvesting early. If that's the case, I'd have to harvest even 3 or so days earlier to properly dry. That way I don't leave em to dry for 2 weeks.

Leaves me kinda confused since I'm currently on week 3 of flower and scheduled to leave Dec 17th!!

15. Dude you should have just got a timer, the first rule to any grow is to NOT TELL ANYONE

16. [quote name='"NOOB187"']Dude you should have just got a timer, the first rule to any grow is to NOT TELL ANYONE[/quote]

Once again, this has nothing to do with a timer.

As I said before, thanks for the great (but useless) advice though!

17. Ive been thinking about your thread a little ever since I read it. I would recomend cutting off a select number of the fan leaves and then continuing to run 12/12 while you are gone. Cutting the day you return, how many of days would that mean you have flowered?

18. Enjoy your hermies

19. [quote name='"fukinricheous"']Ive been thinking about your thread a little ever since I read it. I would recomend cutting off a select number of the fan leaves and then continuing to run 12/12 while you are gone. Cutting the day you return, how many of days would that mean you have flowered?[/quote]

What would be the reason to cut some fan leaves? This doesn't slow vertical growth or anything last I checked?

It would be exactly 8 weeks of flower the day I return.