2 weeks into flowering...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by pbplaya001, Nov 24, 2009.

1. #1 pbplaya001, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
    im 2 weeks into flowering and the leaves started get spots on the edges from the bottom leaves first it looks like and a lil droopy in the effected area....not too major right now but would like to know what it is...i have had no problems with ph shifts and im growing in a bubble bucket with fox farms tiger bloom at the suggested level since the plant is over three feet tall now

ok i cant get the pics to work....they wont show up but if you think you know what this is i can send pictures.....thanks

http://img4.imageshack.us/i/pb230069n.jpg/

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/pb230070.jpg/

2. probably deficient (cant tell if u cant see), up the feeding and see what happends, the biger the plant the more food it needs, and in flower mode they get really hungry.
    the recomended dose is just a guid to start with and u should find what works for ur needs im up 3-4 times the recomended dose

3. what's ur ph, and what have the ph swings been up or down?

if the ph has been dropping that means that there are more nutes then the plants are taking in so you need to drop ur ppm's. you can add plain ph'd water to drop the ppm's.

Good Luck!
    Doin'

4. the ph hasnt been jumping around at all its been at a steady 6......would that mean that there is not enough food in the water???

5. #5 janemba, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
    the PH fluxuations doesnt mean how much or how little the roots are up take, doinYODA is mistaken EC or PPM affects wth PH
    link to explain what EC is
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...tds-ppm-crucial-when-feeding.html#post5970858
    ur waters ph is staying around 6 it will rise as water will go back to a neutral state (7.0)
    also as the plant absorbes, it releases chemicals messing with PH in the rez,
    remember PH level is more importains in organic soil, then in hydroponic, PH in soil dictates the environment of bacterria neccesary to the uptake of organic nutrients (microbs need to break down nutes into food for the plant) in hydro food is already avalible and needs not to be broken down thus the lower PH...
    You need to up the feeding! whats ur PPM?
    like i said the recomended dose is just a guid line and most plant require more food

*guild line for PPM (amount of food in the water)
    seedlings 100-150 ppm
    small plants 150-450 ppm
    mid size 500-900 ppm
    large 900-1800 ppm
    Please check the like most people have no idea how importain PPM/ EC is!

6. I do not have a ec meter or anything so i dont know the ppm...i just change out the bucket every 2-3 weeks

7. pick up a TDS/ppm meter from the hydro store, if ur going to grow hydro its a really good tool to have, u can grow with out one, feed alittle more and if u see a deficiency up the feeding a little, get to know what deficiencys cause what so u will know what to add

8. #8 Yoda, Nov 25, 2009

Why would you say she is wrong then put a link to a thread that says the exact thing she was saying only in a diff way...by the way... who really cares about the conductivity in the water..has nothing to do with growing ....
    Are you saying that ph is not linked at all with ppm.?
    If so please explain...

You also state that ph is more important in dirt.
    Thats just not true... ph is more important in hydro then it is in dirt.
    notice the acceptable ph swing is bigger in dirt.

Thats fine for you Your up to 3-4 times recommended dose.. Most find they run much better under the recommended dosage.

The only plants that can handle 1800+ ppm are aero syatems..
    and most people find the plants take it well until late flower.. then their plants are burned..
    so be careful...

i would knock ur nute level down, they are awfully green to be underfeed..
    get them to 5.8 lower nutes and ill bet they spring right back...

Hope this helps...

9. my bad, I didn't see the ' "NO" problem' with ph in the OP :eek:. If the ph is steady, that's a good thing, but you'll want to adjust to 5.8.

When the plants are taking in more nutes then available in your water you should see the ph go up as the ppm's go down.

when you mix your water, check the ph before adding anything, then check it after you add nutes and you'll see that the ph goes down as the ppm's are increased. Then adjust the ph until you get it where you want it.

The information I have given the OP is from personal experience based on my hydro grow, and other hydro grows that I have been directly involved in for quite a few years. I speak from experience thank you ;)

PH is very important in hydro and needs to be checked daily. If ph is off, it can cause serious problems - lock out, leaf damage, deficiencies, burn, etc...

I agree that you need to get a ppm meter - it is important to know ppm levels.

Good luck with your grow :)

10. #10 janemba, Nov 25, 2009
    first i never said she was wrong i stated that she was mistaken, pH doesnt tell u how much or how little food is in the water or avalible, pH in hydro is a range in what food can be absorbed by the plant, pH in soil is a range in what food can be made by the beneficials for the plant, that is y i said pH is more importain in soil, i ment it played a bigger role in soil, thats y it has a broader spectrum...
    No pH and ppm are not related, both pH up and down will add a ppm to the water, if they were related, and the pH flux was due to the plant absorbing nutrients, then adding pH down would subtact ppm and pH up would add, but we dont see that.

budslinger you said who cares about EC, well EC and ppm have a direct relationship, and it has everything to do with growing, EC regulates the ossmotic presure between the roots and nutrients solution (do u know what osmosis is?). for nutrients to be drawn in by roots via osmosis, the strenght of individual element must be grater then that of the roots. but, the transport of water (instead of nutrients) across the semi permeable membreain depends on EC. for example, if the EC is greater outside roots then inside, the plant dehydrates as water is drawn out of the roots. in other words salty water with a high EC can dehydrate plants, and low EC will under feed...

i posted that link because most people do not know the direct correlation between the EC/ppm and plants ability to uptake nutrients.

thank u boys and girls ill be here all week
    (i'll send this post to u both so hopefully u will walk away with a little knoledge)

11. I'm not sure what the difference is between wrong & mistaken, but I have to agree with the yoda clan here because they are right, it's pretty apparent that nutes drop ph considerable when mixing up a batch. And it makes plenty of sense that the ph will rise back up as the nutes are drawn from the water. I've seen it with my DWC's over the years, so that's why I agree with them.

Sounds like you've done a lot of book reading, but slinger & doin have done a lot of growing and have the pics posted to back up their claims, so give them a little credit. Not to mention the countless growers they've helped. So unless you're done learning, they may have some knowledge you can walk away with as well ;)

12. yes she's half right about ph droping due to ppm going up but theres alot more involved, it could be evaporation, bacteria in the rez, etc. the pH is relitive to the ppm but it doesnt dictate. because the pH is droping yes u can tell there is an imbalance but with outh knowing the EC u have no idea the range in what to correct this imbalance.
    im sure there good growers and have completed many harvest, but without knowing all the variables then u do know ur plants true potential

13. all this banter is getting no where, this guy asked for help now evey one is attacking me (i dont mind i like the challenge) but he needs help it could be a toxic sailt build up the leaves do look waxy, build up will cause a lock out making it look dificient, try a flush with a lower dose then u were giving it then slowly build the ur nutrients back up

14. Book knowledge is a great place to start but experience counts. Unfortunately everyone's ego is effecting the mission. The mission is to solve this issue.

Now I've completed dozens and dozens of harvest (outdoor, indoor, greenhouse) for over 14 years. I consult medical marijuana clinic grows from LA, northern CC. I am a certified water professional and own several corporations all related to horticulture and water technology.

The pH isn't the issue here. The leaves tell a story that goes beyond the necrosis dead patches.

Look closely at the pictures and you will notice the lower leaves have the correct color but the leaves showcased are different then their fellow leaves. Their darker, waxy and are experiencing leave osmosis resulting in necrosis on the leaf edges. The problem is a slow toxic salt build up occurring in the root zone effecting the secondary nutrients absorption (cal / mag). Flush her with a mild solution of food to wash away the build up and start feeding slightly less (200-250 ppm less) then the last feeding before the problems started.

Keep accurate detailed logs of every feeding, when, what time of day, pH, temp (air, water, leaf) EC (yes EC is important) and plants conditions. Try and record your pH, EC, temp at the same time every day.

The logs will help you learn the subtle signs plants give off and help you correct problems if you find yourself in trouble again.

15. The pH plays an important role in both soil and hydro set ups. The difference is the food sources. Obviously soil nutes are not readily available to plants in MOST cases. The fungus, bacterias and other micro organisms breakdown the nutes and secrete the nutes info an absorbent form. This is why soil need a high pH then hydro. The microbs need the pH to produce plant food. Hydro food sources are highly absorbant or chelated meaning the plant can use them immediatly. I feel this is why Janemba felt pH wasn't as important in Hydro. Which I agree. In hydro the plant can absorb from a much broader scale then soil which allows a greater fluctuation to ocue with minimal consequences to the plants health.

As plants use water the nute concentration will increase which will draw the pH down. This is an indicator that the ppm of the res needs adjustment. But how much adjustment is needed? This is where EC is most effective. EC converts to ppm (x500 or x700 depending on eqiupment). Sooo.... your goal should be to keep a perfect none fluctuating EC. This will mean the plants are using an equal amount of food and water. EC goes up the plants using more water and you'll know eactly how much lower the ppm should be. EC goes down plants are using more nutes then water which could signal an upcoming nut defiency. start adding more nutes.

There is an old saying in our field.

The amatures use pH and the pro's use EC.

Which are you?

16. gentlemen..( monk moment)

heres what happened...

doin said drop the nutes down

Janemba said they look hungry give them nute, he even runs 4x rec dosage

i dropped in and said:eek:

jenemba said ph is not related to ppm

ed says ive witnessed it and its true doin is right on.

janemba says well yeah ph could tell ya theres an adjustment needed

then says yeah maybe a flush and knocking down the nutes is needed

pray comes in says theres way more going on besides the ph..
    you need to knock the nutes down and has a very nice explantion of how to see when to adjust by watching PPM....with this I agree....

pray comes back with a very nice explantation of how it all works and gives the formula to convert ec to ppm...

the reason he can give the formula for the conversion is because they measure the same thing. So looking back it seems as though the original advise was good advice just a bit more stoner friendly and didnt confuse anyone. weve witnesed couterdiction to ones own advise, and yet im the one accussed of attacking and called a amatuer.

Ive helped many here and i believe some of the poeple i have helped are among the finest growers here in the city. i dont appreciate what has happened here and always try to keep things on the light side. Ill invite you both to come by my thread and see for yourself if I am indeed an amatuer.

Also understand here guys....new members spouting off about being an expert gets my attention, we help at the city and the great growers I know would never run around making such claims. Most expert growers are humble characters that can look at thier plants and tell you when somethings wrong... And you do that by growing not by reading books and looking a graphs.

Im sorry you took offense and I am glad we all agreed on what to have him do.
    My true goal here as Doins was to help him not trash his thread...

I invite you to start a new thread buddy...
    I apologize for this, If you so desire my assitance I will continue to help and im prety sure doin would also to get you to a sucesful harvest..
    If you would rather not i totally understand and wish you luck in your evdevours;)

Yoda out:bolt:

17. In strolls the dead bunny from another dimension, takes one look at this intergalactic mess and fooks off. Look at this big ole mess.

Now Yoda send me some of that mindblowing Widow over that you got going on so we can vape away and leave the others to it

18. Yod I'm not trashing your abilities. In fact, I feel you have some decent cred and are far more knowledgeable then most cats here. I was not trying to offend and apologize for coming off arrogant in any way.

I must humbly disagree with the idea that expert growers are humble. I know many, some of which are well known internationally recognized breeders (cup winners). You don't know me for Adam so I'm not expecting you to believe me. My experience has show that most expert growers are very arrogant and the their ego's could fill a warehouse bigger then their grow.

The land scape under the Bush regime was very shaken and the expert's were in hiding. Were slowly coming out now and our advice is worth more then our site join date.

19. ok i just got back to my crib due to thanksgivin and wow i dont mind at all because this is actually very informative even though i had a good bit of reading to do...ha thanks for all the concern and advice....lights are out right now but when they come on ill get back to yall and see what has happened