2 seeds in the one pot - SPLIT!?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jeahfe, May 8, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

Just after a quick pointer. I've planted two seeds in the same pot, about 1/2" apart from eachother. Both seeds have since had roots start growing and I've just noticed a stem/leaves about to burst through the soil.

Should I transplant them into seperate pots now or wait until they grow a little more?

I've never done anything like this before so I really have no idea. I didnt even really expect these to take off either haha.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :wave:

2. You can wait a little while to let them gain a little strength but as with most plants its good to transplant in the early stages of development young plants have very strong defense mechanisms and insane will to survive. Make sure you don't let them go long enough for the roots to tangle together

3. Thanks for the input. I might give them a few days after they decide to show themselves before transplanting/spltting them up..

4. i say seperate them asap their roots will tangle faster than you expect

5. I was very suprised at their root system so far actually. I think i'll go and get some pots and soil mix tomorrow and split them up. It'll be a delicate operation!! Any tips?

Should I keep them away from the sun after transplating? (So far theyve been growing on the window sil).

I guess my only worry was them not being strong enough to withstand the move and new soil.

Thanks.

6. Tip- Don't plant seeds together ;) Solo cups are cheap

7. :hello::hello::hello:

8. What are the negative aspects of 2 plants having their roots intertwine?

9. yes m8 u need 2 seperate or the roots will tangle and they fite for noots and all dat, the rule is 1 pot 1 plant m8

10. They fite fot noots and all dat?

are ou fuckin kiddin man?

no don't separate the roots, that's way too much trauma, I've seen plenty of plants growing in one container, Think about it like a family living in the same house.

Do they fite for nutes and all dat? doubt it.

11. you might get uncomfortable and separate them. However you will notice a sharp down turn in your plants health afterward. don't worry, because most the people on the GC absolute beginner section said it's best. :wave:

12. One plant will kill the other. Happens if any kind of plants are planted to close to each other.

13. As per your signature, I call "not true" on that post ^^^

14. They will survive just fine but indoor is about maximizing your conditions for the best output. The plants will be too close to each other, buds want air and light. Will they survive and give bud? Sure. will they be more likely to yield better if you separated them? Absolutely.

15. I would assume that if you kept them fed well, there would be no need for them to fight over nutrients, no?

edit: and if anything, would make the whole root foundation of both plants stronger would it not?

16. Yes, it would. In fact plants have a better chance against the variable odds of soil quality, environment, etc. When planted communally. IMO of course.

17. run a google images search for field of cannabis, if you will. Notice only some of them include barriers between the plants, with little to no measurable difference between the methods..........

18. I think the only reason it would be a problem is if your container was physically too small for all of the roots to run free.

19. There used to be a member here, mctwisty or something, few yrs back. All he ever ran was 2 plant scrogs. 2 plants in a single 28gal Rubbermaid and he used to build the most beautiful carpets of bud.

I've also read that when a plant senses another plants roots it puts out a defense hormone,.....which is also true,...but not with Cannabis or plants of the same species.

20. Cheers for the input guys. Maybe I'll keep them together if splitting them up might hurt their growth or kill them? Really don't know what to do. Don't really want to kill them for the sake of having them in seperate pots..