2 quick ??'s for people who know US History

Discussion in 'General' started by jomoyo069, Aug 14, 2008.

1. thank you guys

2. Oh, no Sir.

I will pose question three in this thread...

Why was the American Civil War fought?

3. im not sure exactly .. i think it had something to do with s carolina and the other southern states seceded from the nation

4. Dude, google it.

Google search: the cause of the civil war.

Unless you are somewhere around a freshman or sophmore in high school, you should know or at least have your own opinion on these things. Unless you just don't pay attention at school at all. But I remember learning about the civil war a few times through out elementary, middle and high school.

5. #25 Deleted member 87043, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
    This is coming from someone who didn´t take US history or anything....

But Chile has some similarities with the US in it´s history; we also had slaves and we were a major part of the slave trade (slaves were brought to Chile to fatten them up before they were taken to richer colonies like Peru) and we also had a civil war that was aristocrats that wanted to live off of saltpeter taxes and just live a comfortable life (at the expense of lower class miners with no rights basically) VS a rising middle class that was producing a national industry based on mining and was creating trains, railways, roads, submarines etc etc. (in our case aristocrats won)

But I think the slave abolishing thing wasn´t taken care of earlier because it would´ve caused the high society to rebel against the government, so they wanted to stay in power and not abolishing slavery was the way to go. Here, it was the same story but a different approach was taken; all people born in Chile were automatically free, so the child of a slave was a free person, and then slavery was made illegal a couple of years later on. And our first president had an iron fist and passed laws that he thought would make the country better, even though it eventually got the high class, low class and church against him and exiled to Peru...

So I think the US didn´t freed the slaves earlier on because of power & money, simply put. If you look hard enough, you´ll see that this is probably the answer to almost everything.

6. im a sophomore in college.. or will be once i pass these classes to have enough credits.. i havent taken history since 10th grade about 4 years ago man so i dont really remember any of it.. i cant say that i really payed attention much either though.. it was high school and i wasnt worried about my grades and school shit back then

7. +rep for a good attempt i dont think that answers the ?s though

8. I feel ya, I didn't pay much attention either. But, I got it right in college.

Trust me, if you do a google search, you will get a lot of reliable answers that you can put into your own words. You may only get opinions here.

9. ya.. i wasnt really lookin for the answers just some direction to go in

10. Until a certain invention slavery was on the way out, your answer lies sir in economics, I'll give you a small push in the correct direction, google Eli Whitney.
    As for number two, who can say you have to put yourself in the shoes of those who were living then and not take an ethnocentrific view of the past.
    What caused the civil war? There isn't one answer to that question, there are a number of factors all which combined to cause one of the greatest failures in our national history.
    Good luck.

11. Westward Expansion+ Agrarian vs Industrial lifestyles+ radically different ideologies= The Civil War....

The war was not fought for slavery... not at all. Even Lincoln didn't really care all that much. The only reason the slavery issue is played up these days is to make the North seem like the good guys, and the South seem like some racist bigots (read; The Bad Guys).

12. Thats because history is determined by the victors, not the vanquished. Thats how it has been, how it is now, and how it always will be.

In NYC in 1863 during the Civil war, blacks, not recently freed slaves either, were lynched in the streets in the middle of the Draft Riots. Not all Northerners were abolitionists and preachers, and Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was what we would call a PR stunt akin to Dubya in his sock stuffed flight suit in May, 2003. Dont think i answered either original question tho.....:smoking:

13. Edit: I'm sorry, I'm drunk and that was mean.

14. if i'd a known it would come to this i'd a picked my own damn cotton - david allan coe