2 Questions

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Luvs2splooj, Mar 17, 2009.

1. 1. Why is it that when our eyes are closed and something sharp is being pointed very close to the center of our forehead we feel like we can feel it there?

2. Also, i dont know if anyone else has done this, but when I close my eyes and push them with my fingers, first my view goes into a completely white, almost cloudy look, and then it will clear and I see a bunch of images and designs.

Wondering on everyone's thoughts about this.

2. 1) because you know its there. If you were unaware that somebody had something there, I don't think you would feel it.

2) You probably shouldnt push your eyes with your fingers... youre probably pinching a vein and cutting off the blood flow to your eye.

Just my .02

3. 1. What about when other people do it? It almost always times perfectly with when they do it.

2. And yea i dont sit there and do it all day, just something I noticed.

4. 1. You have more senses than just sight. You have tiny hairs between, above, and on your eyes. They can respond to tiny fluctuations in air movement and pressure, and so you sense that the thing is in front of your face.

2. Most nerves can respond to more than one stimulus. Usually your eyes respond to light, but they can also respond to pressure. Different people see different colors when they put pressure on their closed eyes. I see blue, some see green or red, etc.

5. Also, and please do not get this wrong, what you perceive is just you brain interpreting reality, what happens around you. Your brain is very good at filling in the blanks, figuratively and literally.

The challenge is figuring out what blanks the brain have filled out for you that are bullshit, and in need of an update more in accordance with reality. That requires work :)

6. Yes - and the question why can you feel an object held near your forehead (depending on distance, if it's very cloe it's the small hairs, as said above) is because even when we have our eyes closed we're still 'seeing' and light sensitive. If something passes in front of our faces and changes the lighting conditions we'll see it. If you try pointing something at your forehead when it's held by a hand above your head/in the dark, thus not creating any shadows, you wont react to it.

MelT